Dancing on Seabourn

jerrymanos

My wife and I are looking to move up to Seabourn for our next cruise. We love to dance. Those of you who dance and have cruised with Seabourn in the past, would you please give me your opinions as to how good the dance bands are on the ships and should I be looking at the smaller or larger ships if we want the best dancing. Thanks for your information. Jerry of Jerry and Kathy

On the Legend dancing takes place nightly in the Club. Music is provided by a band (6 piece or so with a lead singer) which alternates with a duo (singer + pianist for example) that has a backing track.

On our recent cruise the music included swing, jazz, 50s/60's, 70s disco as well as more modern pieces. We were very happy with the quality of the musicians.

The Rock the Boat party on deck was a major dance event with the band pumping out dance tunes out on deck for all to enjoy.

The bands are generally good on all of the ships however, they were very good on odyssey last year, and also on legend. This year on spirit the band synchrony were fantastic, but the duo Colin and Simone we found to be sub par, as did many other passengers. Generally I don't think you'll go wrong with any ship, but if pushed for an answer it generally depends on the people on the cruise and if they participate more or not.

I have to say, as a mad dancer, I have been very disappointed by the fact that after playing 3 or 4 tunes that have everybody hopping, the bands then settle into music that is totally inappropriate for dancing like discordant jazz or outdated show tunes that just clear the room.

This happens so often that I really think it is a technique some bands use so they can justify stopping playing and get off work!

I have mentioned this issue on my Seabourn comment cards but nothing has changed.

My experiences are on the Legend and Pride.

After two cruises on Pride and now one on Crystal I have learnt to appreciate Seabourn's club and the dancing we can do after dinner.

On Crystal the two areas for dancing are so large and with the Cove area in the main walk though reception area it was very intimidating to get up and dance and so rarely did we see people there. The muscians would also take a break for 20 minutes every after a set so there would be no music. I found on our Pride cruises the two different piano & vocalist combos would just switch over so there were no long breaks.

I rarely danced on Crystal because of these reasons and hope that going on Seabourn on one of the bigger sisters soon, I won't be disappointed and will again get to enjoy late evening dancing.

Julie

My husband and I are dancers. We have sailed on the Pride (17 days) and Legend (32 days). We have been quite pleased with the dancing in the Club on both ships...also as stated, the "Rock the Ship" on the deck is always a great evening. The floor is small in the Club, but find that usually you only have about 5 or 6 couples who routinely dance.

I agree that Rock The Boat is really a fun party, even more so when it can be held out on deck. We had 2 cruises on Sojourn last year. The first had Ria and her group who played a wide variety of music and many people danced. I am referring to The Club. On the 2nd, there was a young, somewhat screechy singer who played only fast music and the dance floor frequently was close to bare.

Frantic, the 2 dance areas on Crystal are the main room [named differently on each ship] and Palm Court. Both usually have a cadre of dancers along with Ambassador Hosts for the single ladies. We have found that the Crystal Sextet usually plays for 45 minutes and breaks for 15. The Cove is not a usual dance venue although the night that they have the jazz show there, some folks take to the 'floor'.

I agree that Rock The Boat is really a fun party, even more so when it can be held out on deck. We had 2 cruises on Sojourn last year. The first had Ria and her group who played a wide variety of music and many people danced. I am referring to The Club. On the 2nd, there was a young, somewhat screechy singer who played only fast music and the dance floor frequently was close to bare.

Frantic, the 2 dance areas on Crystal are the main room [named differently on each ship] and Palm Court. Both usually have a cadre of dancers along with Ambassador Hosts for the single ladies. We have found that the Crystal Sextet usually plays for 45 minutes and breaks for 15. The Cove is not a usual dance venue although the night that they have the jazz show there, some folks take to the 'floor'.

Hi Paula,

It must have been just our sailing again, but in Palm Court usually the only people dancing regularly were ourselves and another couple we travelled with, a British couple and an older lady with a gentleman host. Sometimes there were a few more but rarely and only ballroom dancing. The Avenue was sometimes taken over for a little dancing near the pianist that felt like an imposition as it isn't built for dancing in. The nighclub with the DJ rarely had anyone. I really tried hard to find a place as I love to dance as it helps offset those snacks at the Bistro:).

Thank you for mentioning the deck party on the big ships as I was wondering if they would do one on our Odyssey sailing as we have only sailed the small ships before and enjoyed the "Rock The Boat" party.

Julie

My wife and I are looking to move up to Seabourn for our next cruise. We love to dance. Those of you who dance and have cruised with Seabourn in the past, would you please give me your opinions as to how good the dance bands are on the ships and should I be looking at the smaller or larger ships if we want the best dancing. Thanks for your information. Jerry of Jerry and Kathy
Jerry, we are not dancers, except for a few sentimental tunes but we love to go to Club and watch the ones that are dancers because most of them you can tell have had lessons and are such fun to watch. They can do it all. When the Rock the Boat comes on, it seems to get more out there. There are often several couples that only one-half of them dances and I notice that if they have met people on ship, they do go ask those to dance and I think that is nice. Some of the couples are REALLY good! I think you will enjoy it and usually dancers meet dancers and tend to interact OR just get on the dance floor together because of their love of the dance!

Wow! Thanks for the great responses. This is very encouraging. It sounds perfect for us. I will definitely look into one of these cruises in the new year. I would do it sooner, but we just got back from a Panama Canal cruise on Celebrity and I can't afford another one so soon. I hope to see some of you when we do book. Jerry of Jerry and Kathy

• 7 months later...

My DW and I were on the Legend this spring in the Caribbean, and had a blast dancing almost every night in the Club. We are novices, but after a pre dinner martini....gourmet dining...then one 'Rusty Nail' (our 'dating after dinner drink' 45 years ago) ...we were out there trying to dance like John Travolta and his partner in "Saturday Night Fever'! What fun! We thought the band and the duet were terrific.

Well, it seems we will more likely take a Seabourn than a Regent cruise. How big is the dance floor in the Club? Thanks for all the replies.

Maybe 15 x 12 feet....fairly big...but much bigger dancing spaces on Crystal Symphony.

Crystal has dance themed cruises. You might want to look at those if you have a passion for dancing.

I have to say, as a mad dancer, I have been very disappointed by the fact that after playing 3 or 4 tunes that have everybody hopping, the bands then settle into music that is totally inappropriate for dancing like discordant jazz or outdated show tunes that just clear the room.

This happens so often that I really think it is a technique some bands use so they can justify stopping playing and get off work!

I have mentioned this issue on my Seabourn comment cards but nothing has changed.

This was our main complaint last week on Sojourn too. I commented on my survey that I felt like the staff in The Club tried to push us out almost every night. (Granted, we were usually the last handful in there but we heard from many others that they wanted to hang out in The Club but found it a bit too dead at times they stopped by.)

But the entertainment was great otherwise... the current singer (Sabrina) has a very diverse repertoire and was trying hard to entertain a group that ranged on most nights from college aged through senior cruisers.

The other entertainer in The Club was Michael, a very talented singer/guitar player from Ireland. We enjoyed his sets too - not really danceable stuff but he did a good job of trying to keep the crowd drifting in after dinner pumped up until the band came on.

• 3 years later...

We love dancing and cruising is good as we can dance after eating all the gourmet food. Are there professional dance couple onboard? Also is smoking allowed in public area ? We can’t stand smoke so this alone would drive us away. Anyone who can comment on the dancing, and dance music, onboard the Seaford Sojourn? We want to do our homework before we book our cruise, thank you in advance

There is a professional dance duo an the ship. As to smoking there are recent threads regarding the current smoking policy (none inside the Club) -- both the current policy and the upcoming more restrictive changes ( coming this winter).

Lots of dancing on board, especially at the Rock the Boat party, which is great fun, and in the Club. But note that this is pretty much rock 'n' roll style dancing. If you are looking for ball room dancing, you will be pretty much out of luck. There will be a couple of events where the theater orchestra will play (they are very good) with the possibility of ball room dancing down front, but few people will choose to dance, and they will look like they are part of the show. Hopefully ball room is not your style, otherwise you've got to look to Crystal or Cunard.