TK Retreat on Encore???

Chairsin

In the promotional materials I recently received from my TA there is a rendering of the "The Retreat by Thomas Keller." It is under a partial canopy and is furnished with sun loungers as well as tables and chairs with a spa in the center. Since it does not appear to be a dining venue does anyone have a clue as to why it IMG_1471898884.514936.jpg.4496cbd8c1b8ee509ca871be663a9fae.jpgis being tagged with the TK name.?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Rols, yes, I did assume the photo was of that area you referenced, but why would it be branded as TK ? As far as I know he has no experience in the spa business. Maybe the avocado/honey facial on the spa "menu" uses products specially sourced for his kitchen? Ha ha!

I am wondering if, as Jenidallas's post implies, it is a misprint that either my TA or Seabourn's marketing company did not catch. (Jenidallas I have emailed my TA to find if they or Seabourn printed the materials.) But yes, if true it does strike me as bizarre.

Rols, yes, I did assume the photo was of that area you referenced, but why would it be branded as TK ? As far as I know he has no experience in the spa business.

Below is a quote from a Seabourn website, and we wonder if the food will be coming from TK??:

"Seabourn also announced the creation of a covered cabana area onboard Encore and Ovation, called The Retreat. The Retreat, which has a centrally located hot tub as well as a bar, will have 15 cabanas, including one spa cabana. The experience will be personalized, from bathrobes to towels and high-end Champagne. It also will include sun loungers and food and beverage service, and be located on the top deck (where, on the current ships, there's a putting green). Cabana pricing starts at $350 per day".

Well if the food is coming from TK given that to date his offerings on SB have been met with at best mixed reviews it is not exactly going to make a lot of passengers line up to pay $350 a day. On the other hand depending on what champagne they pour maybe it won't matter!

$350 per day? I don't get this at all.

*Starting* at $350 a day. Perhaps, like Uber, they'll apply surge pricing on popular days :)

I don't get it either, but then again I was one of those who got the survey asking if I thought it was a good idea and said no it was a terrible idea please don't do it.

I look forward to seeing what they turn that area into in a few years time.

Wait till you're on board and see what deals they offer. On quiet shore days it could be a fun option. I for one really enjoyed the TK offerings on Sojourn last week so for me it's just another addition to the Spa - nothing to get apocalyptic about.

I don't like the sound of this at all. I will watch with interest as it rolls out and see how it goes. I don't mind the addition of services at a cost, such as new spa services, but an exclusive enclave where you have to pay a large sum to get in? Hmm, it doesn't sound like the wonderful Seabourn I have grown to love. Will this be a positive enhancement to the Seabourn experience? Only time will tell.

Yeah, but they charge a lot for the kennels on QM, too.

So about this covered cabana area... This is nothing other than an "exclusive enclave" for Seabourn's pampered pooches.

... which supports my suggestion that this might as well be called a kennel. And any full service kennel also offers grooming. How much, then, for a shampoo, cut, blow dry, cutting and filing claws?

Happy and healthy sailing!

Personally, I don't mind children* provided that they present a minimal nuisance to anyone else. And given the likelihood that some will act up, it's worth considering how their parents then respond. And this is where it gets interesting: who wants to put up with someone else's screaming and disruptive little treasures unless, of course, you are getting paid to do so?

Anyway, Seabourn is too expensive a product, and one that everyone apart from the willfully oblivious and/or ignorant knows already is for adults. So it makes sense that there be a readily avaiable remedy for the unexpected expected.

How about reserving until the third day or so of any cruise the $350 per day surcharge kennels for any offending families? They are out of sight and sound up there- just what the designers and marketing gurus intended when they came up with this chaise longue under a canopy idea.

Sounds like a plan.

Happy and healthy sailing!

* designates that we are not only talking about those under the age of 12, the usual descriptor for children. We just had to start the plan somewhere and so might as well consider broadening the demographic to out of control drunks, those who engage in fisticuffs and habitual abusers of Seabourn hospitality such as deck lounger reservers, tender queue crashers, violators of the public and dining rooms dress codes and those caught messing up the laundry rooms. This is

only a starting point should anyone want to propose other behaviors.

Edited by markham

I guess you don't like children...:D

I do happen to like children. What I don't like is their parents who allow them to go out of control and destroy the peace and serenity of others. These parents are much more interested in their own needs than those of their children or they wouldn't bring them on Seabourn in the first place. That's why God invented Disney.

I do happen to like children. What I don't like is their parents who allow them to go out of control and destroy the peace and serenity of others. These parents are much more interested in their own needs than those of their children or they wouldn't bring them on Seabourn in the first place. That's why God invented Disney.

I like children as well, but I'm sure I couldn't eat a whole one, however well cooked. How many chargeable extras will SB have to add before they lose the everything included tag?

Well said Henry

Mr Luxury and I will be able to report back on the success or otherwise of the retreat area. Well, Mr L will be able to report back on it's success or otherwise as a patron whilst I will let you know what it's like to be outside looking in.

On the second fortnight of our voyage I have a child coming on board to test the resilience of the retreat against infantile outbursts. Emily will try to keep me under control, I will throw a wobbly and try to upset all the guests :)

I wonder if there might be incentives for people to try out the new venue, particularly long standing clients. At the moment I feel a little uncomfortable about an area restricted from communal access. I know there was always the serene area above the Spa which Mr L used to like so maybe it's just business as usual but with a slightly higher entry price point.

It could also be a way of rewarding very loyal customers or dealing with problems that arise. "I'm sorry that you felt the Blue Nun under chilled, allow us to host you in the retreat for a day."

Henry :)