Some current Quest questions

CLOU

We will be sailing on the Quest from Boston to Montreal in a few weeks and I had a couple of questions for anyone who has been on recently. First, can anyone tell me who the current cruise director is? Second, since the Quest is the only ship that has been refitted with the TK Grill, does it also still have the family style Thomas Keller dinners every other night in the Colonnade? If so, do you need advance reservations? Thanks for any info. Now that the cruise is rapidly approaching, I am quite anxious.

We will be sailing on the Quest from Boston to Montreal in a few weeks and I had a couple of questions for anyone who has been on recently. First, can anyone tell me who the current cruise director is? Second, since the Quest is the only ship that has been refitted with the TK Grill, does it also still have the family style Thomas Keller dinners every other night in the Colonnade? If so, do you need advance reservations? Thanks for any info. Now that the cruise is rapidly approaching, I am quite anxious.

CD is Handre, assistant is Jackie ( a great team),yes TK also in the Colonade about 3 times a week, bookings OK on the day.

Also TK menu items avail most nights in the MDR as a slip in menu, one item each course.

All the food has been great, wines are excellent, some good varieties of beer, all is good with our Quest world.

Quest is very shipshape after her May refit, new carpets and mattresses, great Captain, officers and crew, we are currently in Isafjordur, in the north of Iceland , just inside the Arctic Circle, we have had warm sunny days since after rainy Glasgow, although overcast and cold today.

We were all on alert last night with our In Suite TV's tuned into ch 16 for a wake up call re the Aurora Borealis, but unfortunately the clouds came in.😜

Yes, the Quest is the only ship so far to have the new TK grill, and those who have tried it mostly thought it very good. I believe the same menu each evening, but with quite a lot of choice in each course. When we were on board a few months ago the TK 'family style' menu was in the Colonnade probably twice a week. No choice on it, and we personally were very unimpressed. A few of the TK dishes in the dining room are good, some definitely not unless they have managed to improve them- but they are an addition to the regular menu anyway. Not there every night. The evening we always enjoy most is the Chef's dinner, a no choice multi small course meal, for which they make a real effort in the galley.

The other two ships will have to wait for their next dry dock unfortunately for the TK grill to be installed, presently they are still restaurant 2.

Thanks for the quick responses. I am thrilled to hear Handre is the cruise director. I really like him. I am also glad to hear about the current state of the ship and the food in general. I haven't been on the Quest in a few years. My last two cruises have been on the Sojourn. I have made a reservation for the TK Grill because, of course, I have to try it. Since I found Restaurant 2 a little tired on my past couple of cruises, I am excited for something different. As to the other TK offerings, I will play it by ear. While my husband and I would call ourselves foodies, I understand the limitations of cruise ship dining. Also, I am travelling with my sister, a pescatarian, and my brother-in-law, a meat and potatoes kind of guy who is not impressed with celebrity chefs. I think the TK Grill will offer something for all of us, but the family style in the Colonnade might not. Of course, nothing says we can't leave them on their own for one night. Three weeks and counting.

Do you know how long Handre is on for? Also is it Captain Geir Arne? If so when he does he leave the ship? I heard there will be a big crew/officers change over in Montreal 21 October, is this correct?

Thank you

Do you know how long Handre is on for? Also is it Captain Geir Arne? If so when he does he leave the ship? I heard there will be a big crew/officers change over in Montreal 21 October, is this correct?

Thank you

A lot of the top staff are going to the "Encore" including our Captain Geir Arne

October 21 does ring a bell, I'll ask a few questions.

Thank you

Jan said (last month) that she'll be the CD on the Quest for 21Oct. Wonder if that is still the case?

I was on the Quest a few weeks ago. Handle was the CD then but will be moving to the Encore in October.

We ate in the Thomas Keller Grill twice during our cruise. I thought the new decor was attractive, and I liked the food. The portions are huge, however. The roasted whole chicken (described as serving two) was enough for four people. I had a strip steak that would have easily served two. So if you don't have a huge appetite, you might consider sharing a main or ordering a starter as your main.

I question the concept of the TK Grill, especially since the American cuisine isn't all that different from what's available in the main dining room. But overall, it's a nice dining option to enjoy maybe once a week.

BTW -- the food in the TK Grill is not served family-style (although, as noted above, some of the mains could serve a family ...).

When the little ships went away they "farmed out" some senior crew to other Carnival lines and sent some to corporate to work on training/quality control. So now that they have slots they will be bringing some of them back in addition to bringing on some new hires. Therefore I expect the cannibalization from the existing ships will not be nearly as significant as when the Odyssey class ships came on line.

Handre was lovely, an inspiring composer and pianist, a friendly guy , and superfit. I propose giving him more money, bringing back R2 with some new dishes, and bagging the whole TK idea, which for the most part, did not greatly impress me or DH on the Quest last month in Norway, though the ribs and bread during ad hoc night were indeed comforting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A lot of the top staff are going to the "Encore" including our Captain Geir Arne

October 21 does ring a bell, I'll ask a few questions.

Correction: Captain Geir Arne Thue Nilsen will not be joining Encore until February 2017 (in Sydney Australia)

Handre leaves Quest on October 1, 2016

Hi I and J

Thanks for the news - not surprised. I was told by a Staff Captain not long ago when I enquired that a change to HAL was 'one way' only, but felt it likely that when there were vacancies because of Encore Dag might be back. There could be a surge of bookings by single - and married - ladies!

A month ago a poster on the Holiday Antarctica Quest Roll Call said the were on HAL with him and he was the one who told him he would be returning to Seabourn and be the Captain for our cruise.i posted this pic from the last time I sailed with Dag.IMG_1472659546.926415.jpg.3de67e5a93ed5f5cb33092d3a44d28a4.jpg

And another returning Captain is Andrew Pedder after his stint on P&O.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So, I will be on Handre's last cruise on the Quest. I am glad I will get to see him before he leaves.

We will be on this cruise with you along with 4 other friends. Were on with Handre and Jackie in March/April for a Panama Canal cruise - both are wonderful.

And I will be on with my sister and brother-in-law who will be on their first Seabourn cruise. I was on a cruise with Handre a number of years ago. I don't think I have met Jackie yet. Less than 3 weeks and counting.