Summit Cruisers, New unfriendly Bermuda Transport Policy

Charles4515

If you are going to Bermuda this year on Summit be aware that you will be paying more and have less flexibiity using the local transport this year. They plan to sell only One Day Transportation Passes, no tokens or two or three day passes for the ferrys and buses. Their intention is to force cruise passengers to use expensive taxis and other private services. One of the reasons I have booked Bermuda cruises is the convienient transportation system. Too late for me to cancel my June booking now but if the persist in this unfriendly policy of not selling two and three day passes at the Dockyard I won't be booking any more cruises to Royal Navel Dockyard. I suggest that if you have Bermuda booked bring some rolls of quarters as paying exact change will be a way not to be forced to buy a seperate $19 one day pass for each day or use to use taxis.

http://www.royalgazette.com/news/article/20160414/new-dockyard-transport-policy

Edited by Charles4515

Oh boy...not good! This is my 1st time to Bermuda, I was planning on buying tokens or the 15 count ticket book. I only plan to use the Ferry prob 3X during my stay. If it turns into a big hassle, I won't be back!

can't wait for the first reports from summit Bermuda cruisers on this new policy. going in august for the first time. hope the transportation policy changes. taxi fares are too expensive!

later,

ezemoney(not that easy)

Good job Andy making this a Sticky;

I've been reading this on the Bermuda board and this is what I can summarize so far.

1. The only thing you can buy at the Dockyards is the Day Pass for $17.95. Tokens and multiple day passes are available in Hamilton and St. George as always.

2. You can pay to get on the ferry at this time with $5.00 in quarters each way although they seem not to be advertising this too much.

Remember, last year a token would have cost you $4.50 each for the ferry, total $9 each way so this will cost $8..95 more pp, quite a bit for a family of four. Get some rolls of quarters before you go.

Also, I would suggest we check the roll calls for those going to Bermuda before our trips. I go on June 5th.

On our Summit cruise awhile ago, we took 2 ships excursions..one was a tour past waterside homes and landmarks that ended in Hamilton...it was a greaf tour and included a ferry pass back to the pier.

The other was a bus tour that went to many sites, including the Botanical Gardens and st georges with time for lunch and return to pier...

Not sure when we will return but hope a similar strategy would be possible.

Good job Andy making this a Sticky;

I've been reading this on the Bermuda board and this is what I can summarize so far.

1. The only thing you can buy at the Dockyards is the Day Pass for $17.95. Tokens and multiple day passes are available in Hamilton and St. George as always.

2. You can pay to get on the ferry at this time with $5.00 in quarters each way although they seem not to be advertising this too much.

Remember, last year a token would have cost you $4.50 each for the ferry, total $9 each way so this will cost $8..95 more pp, quite a bit for a family of four. Get some rolls of quarters before you go.

Also, I would suggest we check the roll calls for those going to Bermuda before our trips. I go on June 5th.

Slight correction. The one day pass is $19. I am going on June 12 and I have posted the information on my roll call.

So now that we can't get a two-day pass easily, we'll be bringing rolls of quarters instead. We were going to pay for a two-day pass. Now, it's $38 for two adults for the one-day pass OR we can pay $20 cash for two adults for a round-trip. I think we'll go with the quarters for the day we only plan to make a one-way trip! :mad:

I sure hope they enjoy counting, rolling and dealing with all those US quarters.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

Is it just that you can't purchase the two day passes at the Naval Shipyard? Meaning can you pay the ferry or bus price over to St. George or Hamilton and buy the two day passes and use them then to go back and fourth from the shipyard to wherever? Guess what I am asking is if I am already going to either St. George or Hamilton and they still are selling the two day passes would I be able to purchase them and use them for the rest of the two day's to go back and fourth from the shipyard to wherever on the buses and ferry?

Is it just that you can't purchase the two day passes at the Naval Shipyard? Meaning can you pay the ferry or bus price over to St. George or Hamilton and buy the two day passes and use them then to go back and fourth from the shipyard to wherever? Guess what I am asking is if I am already going to either St. George or Hamilton and they still are selling the two day passes would I be able to purchase them and use them for the rest of the two day's to go back and fourth from the shipyard to wherever on the buses and ferry?

Yes. You will be able to buy the two day passes and tokens in St. George or Hamilton. This policy is only aimed at cruise passengers whose ships dock at the Dockyard. Other tourists and cruise passengers whose ships dock at Hamilton and local residents won't be discriminated against. Keep in mind that the day ends at midnight. The pass starts when they punch it. It is not good from 24 hours from when it is punched.

There is a new article in the Royal Gazette today. Already the new transport policy is causing problems. Hopefully they will come to their senses.

http://www.royalgazette.com/news/article/20160415/visitors-frustrated-by-transport-policy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Charles4515

There is a new article in the Royal Gazette today. Already the new transport policy is causing problems. Hopefully they will come to their senses.

http://www.royalgazette.com/news/article/20160415/visitors-frustrated-by-transport-policy

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Charles:?

Going to be interesting when the big ships get there weekly, hope they assign lots of Police.

I just spoke with friends in BDA who are also confirming this new token system to get from Navel Yard to Hamilton and other points of interest. Yes... it seems that they are trying to force people to take taxi's as the taxi admin is complaining that they;re losing $$ because of the public transportation. Rubbish!! Taking a taxi in BDA is one of the most expensive fares on ANY island and that is the ripoff. You are still better off taking public and having rolls of quarters the using a taxi there. Taxi's are charging way more then even last year and this will not change. BDA needs to wake up and get this under control before BDA shoots themselves in the foot over these rates and systems. Come on Bermuda...... don't push the tourist $$ away!!

Are only quarters allowed or can you use dollar coins? NYC subway card machines give them as change.

In all my cruises to Bermuda, I've never seen that question asked on this board or on roll calls. Frankly, I'd just get the quarters, dollar coins might be unfamiliar to those working on the ferry's or buses and create a problem.

In all my cruises to Bermuda, I've never seen that question asked on this board or on roll calls. Frankly, I'd just get the quarters, dollar coins might be unfamiliar to those working on the ferry's or buses and create a problem.

Ditto. I have never see it asked either. Probably because there was no reason before for tourists to use coins. So tourists were not going to bring $1 coins. Also they are not commonly used in th US. I would have to go to the bank to get them. In the 13 or 14 times I have been to Bermuda I never used coins at all for a bus. I bought and used the passes, or the tokens. If the policy is not reversed I will bring quarters. While they accept US currency and coins in Bermuda because their currency is pegged to the US dollar, they have their own currency......dollar coins might be problematic.

Does anyone know if you can purchase these day passes in advance and have them mailed?? I know that other countries have this as an option. This will be my first time in Bermuda.

Thanks

Mrs. Tallguy

Edited by mrstallguy

Non sense , that should not stop you from moving around the island. Hopefully they will change this crazy rule. It is probably to encourage tourists to shop at the closest dock's shops but it is not worth to even spend a penny there.

I love Visiting Bermuda, I have visited so many times now that I can give people advises where to eat, what to do, where to shop. Talking about shopping be aware of certain shops, some products say made in Bermuda but are not, go to the craft market across the royal naval museum, you'll see how things are done in Bermuda. Buying jewelry? Take a look at what AS coopers have to offer, it is pricy but at least not something cheap and expensive. The linen shop in Hamilton, flying colors for any souvenir. Make sure you make a tour around the island and let Bermuda' enchant you. A ride on the ferry is very pleasant. What to try native rum cake, get the goslingsrum cake labeled made in Bermuda.

It is better I think get a book which contains 15 tickets , it is about 25 dollars I think, but if you are a family one or two tickets per person depending how far you are going. But you can only get these at the bus station in Hamilton.

It is better I think get a book which contains 15 tickets , it is about 25 dollars I think, but if you are a family one or two tickets per person depending how far you are going. But you can only get these at the bus station in Hamilton.

There are two ticket booklets. The 14 zone and 3 zone. The 14 zone is 37.50. The 3 zone is $25. The ferry St. George and Hamilton ferry service need 14 zone and from Dockyard to Horseshoe needs 14 zone. I would buy the 14 zone since most trips are going to be 14 zone. Buying the 14 zone ticket means each ticket is costing $2.50. That is a very good saving over the $5.00, 14 zone fare or $3.50, 3 zone cash fares. Child fare is 2.75. With at least two people in your party the 14 zone ticket booklet would work out good. With more people even better.

Edited by Charles4515

Non sense , that should not stop you from moving around the island. Hopefully they will change this crazy rule. It is probably to encourage tourists to shop at the closest dock's shops but it is not worth to even spend a penny there.

I love Visiting Bermuda, I have visited so many times now that I can give people advises where to eat, what to do, where to shop. Talking about shopping be aware of certain shops, some products say made in Bermuda but are not, go to the craft market across the royal naval museum, you'll see how things are done in Bermuda. Buying jewelry? Take a look at what AS coopers have to offer, it is pricy but at least not something cheap and expensive. The linen shop in Hamilton, flying colors for any souvenir. Make sure you make a tour around the island and let Bermuda' enchant you. A ride on the ferry is very pleasant. What to try native rum cake, get the goslingsrum cake labeled made in Bermuda.

The purpose is not for shopping, if they did that the rest of the island would complain, the purpose is to use the private transportation available such as the taxi's and larger shuttle's. Apparently, there were major complaints from these private tour operators and this is why they started the policy.

How long are the ticket books valid for?

If I had a friend going to Bermuda in May but I was not going until later in the season, could I give them money to buy me a ticket book and then use it when I get there?

Also, maybe some on cruise critic could turn this into a black market side business! :p Just kidding about that, but not about having a friend get me the ticket book.

How long are the ticket books valid for?

If I had a friend going to Bermuda in May but I was not going until later in the season, could I give them money to buy me a ticket book and then use it when I get there?

Also, maybe some on cruise critic could turn this into a black market side business! :p Just kidding about that, but not about having a friend get me the ticket book.

You would be able have friend going in May buy you a ticket booklet for you to use when you get there. If they have an expiration date, (I don't think they do) they would not expire that fast. Leftover tickets from one year have been passed around and used in other years. I have even seen the booklets on eBay every now and then.

Edited by Charles4515