qsine on the summit, party of 2, worth it?

mk761

hi .. will be sailing on the summit this june. i'm curious about qsine, but everything i'm reading indicates it's a great option for large groups. i'll be in a party of two. is it still a good experience? do you recommend booking now or will i have no trouble getting a table once i'm on board?

thanks!

hi .. will be sailing on the summit this june. i'm curious about qsine, but everything i'm reading indicates it's a great option for large groups. i'll be in a party of two. is it still a good experience? do you recommend booking now or will i have no trouble getting a table once i'm on board? thanks!

My wife and I have dined in Qsine by ourself a few times. We have enjoyed the experience. My suggestion is be a little selective with the menu , and do not let the waiter just bring items. That way you do not over eat so badly, and can enjoy the items you do eat. :)

Sorry to offer an opposing view...my husband and I did not enjoy ourselves in Qsine. It is the only restaurant on any Celebrity ship that we don't care for. It does seems to be better suited for a group, where everyone is anticipating the next big display coming. Unfortunately, the food didn't seem like an actual meal, rather like a few heavy appetizers. The concept sounds great, ordering off of iPads with an amazing presentation, but after 4 greasy items in a row, we politely declined dessert and left. It is expensive for what's on offer.

I loved QSine but I would not do it for 2 people. In my opinion, you need a bunch of people to make it work. The whole idea of QSine is ordering a lot of stuff and sharing it.

Perhaps you can go on your Roll Call and get a group of people to join you for dinner.

DON

As someone else said be selective, if not as a group of two you will fill up before you have sampled many things. If you are unsure what some of the items are ask...

We enjoyed it as a bit of fun rather than a dining experience...We would visit again on a longer cruise.

I do feel that the idea is now past its sell by date...iPad menu no longer a novelty, it would be very easy to turn it into a real tapas bar with the genuine taste of the Med...

So my answer is go and enjoy, if you have never done it before it is fun but don't expect a fine dining experience!

Hi - we've done Qsine for 2 and enjoyed the experience. We will be doing it again on our Summit cruise next month and hope a few others from our Roll Call will join us.

Through Cruise Critic I've learned that you can ask for smaller serving sizes so each dish does not fill you up so much. Also - this is not a preliminary round for the "Clean Plate Club" - you can just taste items without eating the entire offering. This seems wasteful, but for the cost, we want to experience as many different dishes as possible.

We did learn from our first experience to pace ourselves - this is not a 1 hour meal. We will probably order fewer heavy foods this time also.

We plan to make our reservation once we board so we can use OBC. Also, I understand that discounts are available but you have to inquire.

One thing we've learned since our first visit is that a tip is included in the upcharge that you pay, so an additional tip is not necessary.

Hope you enjoy the experience if you decide to go to Qsine.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Totally agree with those who say that the key is to be selective.

We like to order and eat the special items that are unique to Qsine

and try not to fill up on bread or potatoes or other such items that we can have elsewhere.

We each consume approximately the same amount of food whether we go to Qsine with a large group or not.

So having more people at the table only matters to us if we enjoy their company, not for more food.

Qsine is easy for a party of 2 (or even a party of 1) as you just order small portions of lots of different things that you want to try,

and refuse the additional items the waiter tries to bring you that you really don't want.

If you get a small serving of something that you like and want more, simply ask for more.

For the larger items, we just order one for both of us, and share it.

If something is heavily breaded or battered, we like to remove most of the breading or batter.

But I would not recommend trying to share the filet or the lamb chops at Qsine because they are quite small.

Qsine is the best restaurant on the ships, next to murarno; if you want to skip something skip Tuscan Grille, Italian food has no flavor, if that's authentic ill stick to my own Italian that actually has spices in it.

It's a lot of fun a couple times.

Have you been to your Roll Call? Organize a group meal there. That's what we did the first time. We met new people, had some laughs and were able to take a few bites of many more items. That's the whole point of Qsine. It's not supposed to be a restaurant meal like the main dining room or anywhere else. Anyone who has ever been to a tapas bar or a small plates venue will get it.

We've also been twice just the two of us. There is a method to it and you have toknow going in that it's NOT supposed to be a full entree plate of food. It's small plates, tapas. I've never been more full than I have when we first went to Qsine.

The wait staff will want to bring you the full amounts that are the basic dishes. For two --- you have to be kind of firm with them.

At the risk of giving away a secret - although there are plenty of ways to see the menu and the presentations here - there is one dish that is spring rolls. If the two of you order spring rolls, you'll EACH get two. My suggestion is order ONE individual roll to split and move on to the next item. Or just one spring roll each. They're two different flavors to split them and get half of each. Don't let them bring two each and then waste too. That's silly. Too much wasted food already.

The filet mignon - isn't a full filet. It's a couple small ones. Get one order to split. No it's not going to be as good as Murano or Luminae. But it's good and it's fun with all the cute toppings they put with it. You can get a larger serving of the creamed spinach if you like - just ask!

Get one lava crab to split. Get ONE Kobe meatball to split, not a whole order. Etc.

I hate to waste food and although it's easy to say you'll just take a few bites and stop, it's best to just be firm and smile to the wait staff and insist.

Many times I've read where people say it's just small plates, and not a full meal. Yep, that's the whole idea of Qsine!! Small plates. You just get a lot of them!

I wouldn't waste time on things like fish and chips (you'll fill up on fat laden empty calorie carb rich food and miss the better dishes) and french fries, etc. The greens are good. The tower of Greek stuff is great. Lava crab, kobe meatball, tacos, filet - so many good things. i like the dessert that is the tombstone and the surprise dessert.

Best to get a few people together from your roll call and even go the first night, get a bigger table and link your reservations together. There'll even be a discount the first night, and probably you can ask for one every other night.

We loved Qsine -- we were a party of 4, and we went twice last year during our Summit cruise.

However -- I have severe food allergies and any/all selections that included any kind of fish or seafood were completely not an option for anyone at our table.

I had read some reviews and advised what was what and such.... ohmigod we were so full !! And we only had 1 serving of our selections ! We almost cancelled the tacos because we just didn't have any room and the Assistant Maitre D would not allow it ! (we're glad she saved us from ourselves - they were one of the BEST choices !)

We're on Summit next week and there are only 2 of us this time -- we're going anyway !! We know exactly what we liked and we swear we are not going to overdo it this time (famous last words) !! We also enjoyed the funky decor and presentation.

Looking forward to it !! Highly recommend it !!

Sandy

Sorry to offer an opposing view...my husband and I did not enjoy ourselves in Qsine. It is the only restaurant on any Celebrity ship that we don't care for. It does seems to be better suited for a group, where everyone is anticipating the next big display coming. Unfortunately, the food didn't seem like an actual meal, rather like a few heavy appetizers. The concept sounds great, ordering off of iPads with an amazing presentation, but after 4 greasy items in a row, we politely declined dessert and left. It is expensive for what's on offer.

My husband and I did this for the first time last week and couldn't agree more with the sentiments by this poster. The most enjoyable part was to see what kinds of service devices the food come on. The food itself, not very good in our opinion. Steer away from obvious greasy items, the ceviche was pretty good. The sorbet at the end was very enjoyable but really that was about it.

Same here. We love all the restaurants on Celebrity but we "didn't get it" with Qsine.

With so many people raving about going in a group, we will probably try it again but this time with a group from Cruise Critic.

We usually travel as a twosome and Qsine has the most appealing menu and style for me but my OH is vegetarian and the limited choice makes the cover charge way too high. It's such a shame, we are on Eclipse for out 5th and 6th trip this year and still cannot experience Qsine,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hi .. will be sailing on the summit this june. i'm curious about qsine, but everything i'm reading indicates it's a great option for large groups. i'll be in a party of two. is it still a good experience? do you recommend booking now or will i have no trouble getting a table once i'm on board?

thanks!

We were in a suite on the Millennium so could and did eat in Luminae. We both thought the whole experience and food in Qsine was much improved over Luminae. I'd go back and pay the $45 in an instant for each of us on our next cruise. Just wish I had discovered it before our last night.

The ordering gimmick is pretty lame though, but the food and service was great and we were just a couple, not a group. We shared six dishes and never got as far as a dessert as we were way too stuffed already.

Edited by livingasia

Well worth it. The food is very good and the experience is fun. You can order as much as you like- My DH and I dine in Qsine at least once per cruise even though we have acess to Luminae. If you can, you should also consider Tuscan another night. We enjoyed ordering our dinner on an ipad- I believe that will be the future of all ordering-

Enjoy your cruise!!

thanks!

The first time did it with two. I don't recommend doing it with two. The last two times with a group and it was worth it with a group. We organized a large group out of one of our roll calls and the large group was best of all. We could order the whole menu to share..

Edited by Charles4515

I've gone twice, with a group of 5 and 7 and will never return. Both times I've left hungry and both times we were not brought all the items we selected on the iPad. Waiting 1/2hr-1hr between mediocre courses was also not a thrill. To each their own but on Infinity, Qsine was a colossal waste of time and money.

Had a great time last week at Qsine, yes we were a table for 2, 50% of the tables are for 2

The waiters were very helpful and catered the menu to the table size, we tried many selections, loved them all and had 3 different deserts and all for a two for one special price. Will definitely do Qsine again.

We usually travel as a twosome and Qsine has the most appealing menu and style for me but my OH is vegetarian and the limited choice makes the cover charge way too high. It's such a shame, we are on Eclipse for out 5th and 6th trip this year and still cannot experience Qsine,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When we were on Summit a couple of years ago we were chatting to a couple with a daughter who was vegetarian but had really wanted to go to Q'sine...They had chatted to the M'D on booking (a day or two before) who had agreed to 'tweek' the menu....They had been impressed both with the food and the effort made by the staff. Worth a try on Eclipse!

hi .. will be sailing on the summit this june. i'm curious about qsine, but everything i'm reading indicates it's a great option for large groups. i'll be in a party of two. is it still a good experience?
The answer to your question depends on personal preference, just like the table size you request in the regular dining room.

Some passengers are more sociable types who enjoy sharing a large table, meeting new people and making it more of a party occasion.

Others prefer a quiet two-top.

Either way, you get the same menu, and can order whatever you want.

Either way, it is up to you whether you prefer to try small portions of many different things, or have larger portions of fewer things.

As others have said, just tell your waiter what you want and what you don't want. The key is communication.

Don't hesitate to ask questions, especially about anything that is unfamiliar to you.

If you take a bite of something and find that you don't like it, or if it is merely meh, don't eat any more of it but try something else instead

(even if you had parents who brainwashed you to finish everything on your plate when you were a child). ;)

Qsine is not intended to be gourmet dining, but rather a novel, fun experience, something different from a traditional restaurant, even in the decor with upside down lamps on the ceiling.

There is enough variety to choose from so that even picky eaters should be able to find some foods they enjoy.

In addition, my DH doesn't eat seafood or many items I really enjoy. So the waiter is always made aware of that and adjust portions- he will bring me a small tapas size portion and I can sample as many dishes as I wish- We have always found the service excellent- in fact the waiters we have had on multiple ships ask us if we need a break and paces serving accordingly. Never had bad service.