Berlin hotel and area

We intend to spend two full days in Berlin sightseeing prior to boarding for our Baltic cruise.

Could you please suggest an area of Berlin to stay in (and if possible some names of hotels) with a choice of evening meals within walking distance, so that we can maximize our sightseeing.

This would be for June 2018.

Alexanderplatz, mitte. Main things to see are so close and the s bahn and u bahn transport is really good. We're doing the crowne plaza next time which is near topography of terror. If you want to do the DDR museum, visit the tv tower or the Reichstag, book in advance. There are also free walking tours that start at Brandenburg gate but you need to book.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

At the end of our May Baltic cruise, we spent 4 nights at the Steigenberger Am Kanzleramt next to the Berlin Hauptbahnhof. The hauptbahnhof is well-served by s-bahn and busses but has only 1 u-bahn line. Other hotels may have been slightly more convenient for sightseeing, but if you are reasonably fit and don't mind changing busses/trains, you can get anywhere in central Berlin quite easily from this location. It was easy access from the airport on the TXL bus. Not too many restaurants in the area other than those at the train station (mostly fast food along with a couple of sit-down options), but there was easy access to other locations on transit. But we loved the hotel because of its modern and spacious scrupulously clean rooms and its totally fantastic over-the-top breakfast buffet; if you can book a good rate with breakfast included, then I would snap that up.

I wrote a review on the cruise that also includes some info on our sightseeing in Berlin, if you are interested.

I think the Berlin info starts on page 10. Here's the link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2513199&page=10

My husband and I stayed in the NH Berlin Mitte Leipziger Strasse this past May. I found it well situated between Checkpoint Charlie and Unter den Linden. It also had a very good breakfast. I would not hesitate to stay there again.