Live/Cloud: South Africa-Botswana+, Many Pix’s, Terry/Ohio

TLCOhio

MrsWaldo We're on the cruise with you and have come across an oddity that I would rather not post about on the board. If you could I'd appreciate it if you could email me, the address is julie at surfbvi dot com Many thanks

MrsWaldo: done

Miss Merry: Replied' date=' thank you [/quote']

Glad this thread was helpful in getting you folks connected. Good luck for your upcoming "adventures" in Africa. For those considering sailing in this area, Silversea does have a number of various specials and added bonus deals if doing such sailing. BUT, those are ones seen on the USA websites. Not sure how many of these added incentives, such as bargain airfare, apply for those in Australia, UK/Europe, etc. It gets confusing with various pricings in different parts of the world. Happy to answer any added questions.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 161,755 views for this posting.

• 3 weeks later...

From the CNN cable news network earlier this week, they have this headline: "11 tips to get the most from a South African safari game drive". Lots of ideas to consider in this article. Looking forward to getting lots of details from those sailing in, out and around Cape Town during this late December to February period.

Here are some of the top highlights based on our experiences earlier this year: "There are many arguments to visit a park during a specific season. Most recommend going during the dry season when wildlife is concentrated around the few watering holes. The wet season is just as spectacular, with greenery, baby animals and storm clouds to enjoy. Many safari companies focus on the Big 5: lions, leopards, buffalo, elephants and rhinos. In the search for these animals you'll end up seeing most other species on your list. The guides will often use radio and phone communication to keep each other informed when a rare animal is spotted. While not always the primary mission of many safari groups, there are amazing bird-watching opportunities. It pays off to develop a relationship with your guide. Their keen eyes are honed to spot wildlife, but they also have to focus on staying on the road. If you do your part to help pick out animals, they'll be even more willing to go the extra mile and take you to special places off the beaten track. Take the time to sit – Morning and evening game drives can be intense and don't allow a lot of time for relaxation. April is prime time to see baby animals in Kruger. Pairs like this Chacma baboon mother and infant have many seemingly human interactions as the mother teaches the youngster how to live in this brand new world."

Full story at:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/14/travel/south-africa-kruger-tips/index.html

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 219,533 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. Just ran across this blog (have read some of your others). Amazing work you do with photos. We did a similar trip in Nov 2015 and it brought back great memories. We to did 5 days in Cape Town before the cruise and that was perfect. Due to a lack of leave we weren't able to tack on further sights at the end of the cruise but are determined to go back some day.

• 5 weeks later...
Thanks. Just ran across this blog (have read some of your others). Amazing work you do with photos. We did a similar trip in Nov 2015 and it brought back great memories. We to did 5 days in Cape Town before the cruise and that was perfect. Due to a lack of leave we weren't able to tack on further sights at the end of the cruise but are determined to go back some day.

Glad that you enjoyed my posts and that they brought back nice memories from your 2015 visit to Africa. Yes, wonderful that you are planning to do a return trip there and that you had five days in Cape Town. That was perfect timing for us, both in recovering from the long air flights, plus to enjoy the wide range of excellent options in and around scenic and historic Cape Town.

From the London/UK Telegraph three days ago, they had this headline: "The architect, the diamond magnate and a grand design" on a highly-detailed story about a UK architect who worked and did much work with famed (and controversial) Cecil Rhodes in South Africa.

Among the story highlights are how this designer: "went in search of his legacy – and on the way came face to face with some epic moments in South African history. Baker, trained as an architect in London, arrived there to help with the running of his brother Lionel’s fruit farm in 1892." This writing notes his period there rode the wave of prosperity that followed the Johannesburg gold rush.

There are a number of aspects regarding South Africa and its background cited, including: "The Waterfront remains a good place to get your bearings in the city, its shops, restaurants and ATMs." "Rhodes was Prime Minister of the Cape Colony and took a keen interest in education. He liked to present himself as a bluff, no-nonsense type." "In late 1899 at the Mount Nelson Hotel, the first hotel in South Africa to offer hot and cold running water, the British occupied it as a headquarters from which to plan the Second Anglo-Boer War campaign."

Added history is woven in this article about Gandhi, Churchill, etc., for their roles and experiences in South Africa. Regarding this architect, they also shared: "Baker duly moved his office from Cape Town to Johannesburg and designed hundreds of buildings for the Transvaal – schools, hospitals, offices, clubs, railway stations, laboratories, the Union Buildings at Pretoria (still home to South Africa’s parliament) and numerous private houses. In 1912, he sailed to help plan the new capital of the Raj at New Delhi."

Interesting background and context for the unique, twisted history of South Africa!!

Full story at:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/africa/south-africa/articles/on-the-trail-of-a-great-british-architect-in-south-africa/

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 47,103 views for these postings.

From the London/UK Telegraph on Jan. 18, they have this headline: " 'Don’t visit Johannesburg for a relaxing holiday. It’s an assault on the senses' " with these highlights: "After almost 20 years of decline, Johannesburg is on the up and the cultural districts of Newtown and Braamfontein teem with life. It’s a beautiful city, but there is still terrible poverty. The township of Soweto was the place that really hit me. I don’t think you can understand South Africa without a visit to the Hector Pieterson Memorial and Museum, which commemorates the role of the struggle against apartheid."

As to the question of what the author missed most when away from that area, he replied: "The energy and vibrancy. Don’t visit Johannesburg for a relaxing holiday. It’s an assault on the senses." Lots of tips, ideas and suggestions for visiting this part of South Africa. Many potentials for what to see, where to eat, stay, activities to consider, etc.

While our time in Johannesburg was very limited, this profile clearly indicates that there are pro/con factors to consider as to what best "fits" (or not) in visiting this extremely large, bustling part of their country.

Full story at:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/africa/south-africa/articles/dan-walker-interview-johannesburg-celebrity-travel-tips-my-kind-of-town/

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples this city that is so great for "walking around", personally seeing its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 64,783 views.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

• 2 months later...

From the Conde Nast Traveler April 2017 magazine that arrived at home today, their cover and entire edition is all about . . . AFRICA!!

Lots of interesting stories, photos, details, ideas, etc. From their editor, his previewing column has this headline: The Making of Our Africa Issue. The cover features journalist and TV anchor Oumy Ndour from Dakar as an "ambitious young creative". She is quoted saying: Young people are increasingly asserting themselves. And now, because of the dynamism of the African continent, that famous phrase ‘The future is Africa’ is no longer rhetoric. It’s something concrete.”. The CN Editor says "her words captured the essence of this issue".

There are a number of different articles included in this edition. They feature much about South Africa, Botswana, Zambia and Mozambique that we were fortunate to visit a year ago. And super loved our experiences there!!! Later in April, you will be able to access these stories and details from the Conde Nast website. Or, go out now and buy a copy!

For Cape Town, the article on page 38 says it "has become something like the Sydney of Africa, with dramatic coastlines hugging a thoroughly modern city and a strong design and food game." The V&A Waterfront is called the "creative hub" of Cape Town.

For Botswana and Zambia, the article on page 44 calls these "two of Africa's most politically stable countries, with some of the most varied, wildlife-rich, and unspoiled landscapes on the continent."

Full story at:

http://www.cntraveler.com/story/the-making-of-our-africa-issue

THANKS to Conde Nast Traveler for bringing back such great memories! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Panama Canal? Just completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun pictures!! Those pictures start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2465580

Here is the look you might see in your mailbox and/or at the newsstands for their cover on their April 2017 edition about Africa.:

Screen%20Shot%202017-03-27%20at%204.33.30%20PM_zpsegzizisf.png

• 3 months later...
I'm no expert on South African safaris, but I think if you dig deeper you'll find there are far better prospects of seeing all of the Big 5 in Kruger Nat Park & the adjacent private reserves, way over near S A's eastern border, than in the Cape Town / Port Elizabeth area. The routine with safaris is normally that you arrive lunch-time, perhaps have an afternoon drive, then an evening drive, then dinner & overnight in the lodge. Then an early morning drive, breakfast, pack up & leave.

You really do need to research deeply. TripAdvisor is a much better source than Cruise Critic. JB

ps Terry - I think it was you who put us on to St Lucia. Very grateful, never seen so many hippo in one place. And a brilliant day at the adjoining NP at Cape Vidal

John and Terry, Thank you for this information. I wish we could do an overnight, perhaps we still can but we are on the QE World Cruise in 2018. I found your information to be exceptionally informative.

Terry, I believe that at one point you were thinking of touring Addo with Alan's tours. We will be in Port Elizabeth. Did you in fact do Addo with his tour or did you chose a longer safari experience?

On the Africa CC Board, had these above great comments and excellent follow-ups from bananavan and John Bull. Thought I would share this info here.

Yes, doing safaris in Africa is not quite as easy and simple as it might seem on the surface and/or on paper. PLUS, it does take lots of "luck" to make the right sightings happen, especially for lions, leopards, etc. From doing three safari days in South Africa and six such days in Botswana, we improved our "ODDS" to see and do more by having more time in these special areas.

As noted by JB, our experience was much as described: "At Addo NP you'll see plenty of elephants, zebra, antelope (esp kudu & hartebeest), warthogs & such." Yes, we did a full day at Addo. Worked super well for us. But, we did not see any lions. Our tour at Addo was much better than the shorter ship excursions. Yes, we did our great day with Alan Fogarty of Alan Tours as our skilled guide around this park. He was super excellent and being the only two guests with him made our "experience" much more personal and meaningful.

For Alan and three other excellent private guides in South Africa, we did used TripAdvisor to locate them. My method to research such guides for such tour? I will search and identify three or four highly-rated such guides on TripAdvisor. Then I write to them by e-mail, am very specific as about our personal interests, travel style, etc. Then, I evaluate what I hear back with each response. Some guides/firms do not read/understand our interests well and only send back a "formula" response that gives an impression that they are not good at "listening". Nor, for being that "personal" with such potential tours. Interestingly, it is TripAdvisor that owns and now controls Cruise Critic. Lots of "connections" with these various info and booking sites.

Glad for JB that St Lucia worked so well. It's an excellent area, especially with good guides and people helping you there.

THANKS for the great sharing and questions! Keep it coming. Lots of learn about how to be successful in Africa. Am catching up on the CC boards as we have had our two grandsons from Virginia here in Central Ohio and they are nearly ages five and seven. That kept us very, very busy.

Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Panama Canal? Completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, a Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun pictures!! Those pictures start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

OUR LATEST ADVENTURE??!!: Just got back last month from three weeks in Europe doing five days in Lisbon, sailing from Portugal, seeing for the first time NW Spain, Bordeaux, Brittany, etc. Great sights and sites!

Below are a few "samples" to prove the value for exploring these wonderful areas on a nice ship. The central/connecting part was an eleven-day, very port intensive cruise from Lisbon to Rouen/France on the highly-enjoyable Silversea Silver Spirit. For many more pictures and full details, check out this live/blog:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 51,883 views for these postings.

For Sintra north of Lisbon, here is one small visual sampling. Yes, as we told our grandsons, these are "Real Castles!". Really have learned lots on the unique history of Portugal.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger!)

June%202017A%201542_zpsrs25wyvr.jpg

From Porto, during our first trip to Portugal, we loved doing a small-craft sailing along their historic town areas near where Port wines are stored and sold.:

June%202017A%201545_zps0k0xqxq3.jpg

At the Guggenheim in Bilbao, the art is mostly about the building. Lighting and time of day when photo shooting allows for much creativity as to how you can capture this structure, its outdoor art, the inside drama, etc. Not your grandfather's museum! Like?:

June%202017A%201564_zpsjjiq8ype.jpg

Here is one quick visual sample from being in Bordeaux. If you love history and architecture, this is the super place to be!!. Like the little boy enjoying the water experience?: June%202017A%201587_zpsw32y5i9v.jpg

During our Guernsey Island visit off of the French coast, we did our ship's "Powerboat Seascape Expedition". Great fun and sightings! Isn't this puffin cute?? Plus, lots of seal, beach, sea gull, etc., actions and activities.:June%202017A%201627_zpsnz42afom.jpg

After the cruise concluded in Rouen, we finished with in-depth time in Brittany and to finish with a stop at Monet's Giverny before flying out from Paris' de Gaulle airport.:

June%202017A%201625_zpspdjx3z9y.jpg

I have only just come across this thread. Thanks TLC Ohio for this interesting review and great pictures. This looks like a great cruise and I do hope that Silversea decide to repeat it as we will certainly be on it!

• 3 weeks later...
I have only just come across this thread. Thanks TLC Ohio for this interesting review and great pictures. This looks like a great cruise and I do hope that Silversea decide to repeat it as we will certainly be on it!

Appreciate this nice follow-up and the kind comments, especially on my pictures. The credit belongs with Africa, its wildlife, their people, etc. Silversea does have a ten-day, Jan. 5, 2018, Silver Spirit, Cape Town to Cape Town cruise upcoming. It is cruise #5801. BUT, now it is listed as being waitlisted. Sorry! And, sadly, for early 2019, SS does not show any such offering as we enjoyed in early 2016. Maybe for late 2019 or early 2020??

From the BBC and other media sources earlier this month, they have this headline: South African Airways 'is on verge of bankruptcy' with these highlights: South African Airways (SAA) has run out of money and is teetering on the edge of bankruptcy, according to information given to the country's parliament. It is thought the national carrier may soon be unable to pay salaries. The cash-flow statement shown to MPs and seen by the BBC paints a picture of an airline haemorrhaging cash. The airline has lost money in each of the past seven years.

In doing our South Africa trip last year, the main, long-haul international flights we had were nicely with Qatar Air through Doha. BUT, we had three flights with SAA involving getting from Cape Town to Johannesburg, plus our flights up to Victoria Falls and coming back from Botswana. Those flights worked well and smoothly.

Now the question seems to be how much more the challenged South African government can continue to spend to subsidize SAA flights and operations. My sense is if doing South Africa flights involving this airline, making payments on credit cards would be a smart protection and would also would keeping an eye on this "situation". Reactions and other, better information/background?

Full story at:

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-40813582

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 218,699 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• 3 weeks later...

From the Travel Section of the London/UK Daily Mail this week, they have this headline: From Cape Town's beaches and scenic mountain hikes to its best vineyards and hotels: An ultimate guide with these highlights: With its towering mountains, penguin-strewn beaches and world-class vineyards, Cape Town has it all. Room rates at its best hotels are eye-wateringly costly, but everything else is absurdly cheap - a decent bottle of everyday wine, for example, will set you back only £2.

Below are just four pictures in this profile that brought back great memories from our excellent visit at these varied locations last year. This includes many pictures and details about Delaire Graff Estate. We had an excellent lunch there during our Sunday tour of the Winelands to the east of Cape Town. They note this resort is "Perhaps the most lavish and expansive retreat in the wine region of Stellenbosch (and beyond), with sculptures hidden at every turn. Delaire's stellar reputation is well-deserved. Delaire serves up and earthy, colourful exotic food with, of course, a splendid wine selection. It boasts extraordinary views over the mountains." See more on this great resort at:

www.delaire.co.za

This profile also highlight other areas/sites that we loved, including the Cable Car ride up Table Mountain, seeing around the Lion's Head and especially with the penguins at Boulder's Bay.

Full story at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-4479478/An-ultimate-guide-Cape-Town-s-hotels-beaches-wine.html

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 227,126 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here are four of the pictures from this UK Daily Mail travel profile on the great options in and around Cape Town that we enjoyed so much last year. In order below, these are Lion's Head/Table Mountain, Delaire Graff Estate, the Cable Car and the penguins at Boulder's Bay. Loved all of these excellent locations!!:

July%202017A%201618_zpsrnjcbwlx.jpg

July%202017A%201617%201_zpsragojlsa.jpg

July%202017A%201616%201_zpsrvzsvlf3.jpg

July%202017A%201615_zpstlsovlyw.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

From The Sunday Times Travel Section from London/UK this past weekend, they have this headline: Cape Town: South Africa’s new capital of culture with these highlights: It was already the best holiday city in South Africa, but now there’s a whole new reason to visit Cape Town. The flourishing arts scene will go to another level next week when the Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art Africa opens in a huge grain silo. And with beach, wildlife, hip hotels and a food scene that’s as exciting as the art, you’ve got all the ingredients for a fabulous winter-sun escape.

Lots of nice pictures and details are outlined in this glowing profile of Cape Town. This story continues to note: "contemporary African art is having a moment, with soaring saleroom prices and an outpouring of great work, but until now there has been nowhere on the continent itself to do the pieces justice. Enter the Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art Africa (MOCAA), which aims to do for Cape Town what Tate Modern did for London."

They also note other options, including this one that we enjoyed: "To escape the heat, head to Boulders Beach for a dip and to see the penguins." And . . . "You can’t miss Robben Island, either."

A number options for dining and places to stay are mentioned. Brings back nice memories about wonderful Cape Town.

Full story at:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/past-six-days/2017-09-10/travel/cape-town-south-africas-new-capital-of-culture-5x85cwq55

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Just finished June 2017 sailing from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

From the Wall Street Journal Magazine today, they have this headline: Museum of Contemporary African Art to Open in Cape Town.

Here are some of the story highlights: London architect Thomas Heatherwick—his first building in Africa— has carved a space from 42 steel and concrete grain-storage tubes, a soaring atrium hugged by white-box galleries—more than 100 of them on six floors—that curators and art handlers are already filling with sculpture, photography, film and paintings. This 96-year-old grain silo on the Cape Town waterfront was stripped of its gungy magnolia paint down to gray concrete. The Zeitz museum, launching this month, focuses on 21st-century work and aims to offer an inclusive look at the African art scene today, with a big-tent approach featuring African, expat and diaspora artists.

Full story at:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/a-museum-of-african-contemporary-art-to-open-in-cape-town-1505426400

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 219,643 views.

From the Wall Street Journal, here is one of several visuals featured with this article. It is titled "TOTALLY TUBULAR". The atrium, carved from a grain silo’s interior, opens to the public this month.:

BN-VD063_ZEITZ1_12H_20170914162323_zpslcvazeex.jpg

Just thought I would mention in case anyone has plans for a visit to Robben Island in the near future. The ferry to Robben Island sank today .... all 68 passengers were rescued.

WOW!! On another thread, this above item was shared. This is big and startling news. As I recall, they have more than one boat that they use. Not sure the service has been stopped totally. On our trip back from Robben Island in early 2016, the waters really turned super rough and it took lots longer to make it back. Those waters in and around Cape Town can get challenging. This location can have difficult "mixes" when you have waters and air from the Indian and Atlantic Oceans meeting the cold weather coming up from Antarctica. This part of the world can have conditions change quickly and without much advance notice.

From NEWS24 in South Africa later yesterday, they have this headline: “ 'Technical problem' possibly to blame for Robben Island ferry sinking with these highlights: The 64 passengers and four crew members aboad the ferry, Thandi, had to be evacuated when the nose of the boat started to sink in rough seas, 3km from the Cape Town waterfront. Robben Island Museum senior ferry manager Sandresan Thandroyan said the ferry was used for the first time on Friday morning after undergoing lengthy maintenance work.

The officials and this reporting were vague as whether this vessel sank completely or not. This story also noted: "Sea swells of up to 2m were reported in Cape Town on Friday afternoon, with winds of up to 65 km/h blowing from the south-southeast."

Full story at:

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/technical-problem-possibly-to-blame-for-robben-island-ferry-sinking-museum-20170915

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 52,936 views for these postings.

Terry,

I just spent a good portion of this afternoon/evening reading this entire thread - better late than never. My husband and I will be on a 16 day cruise (nearly the same itinerary as yours) in January 2019 with Oceania. I cannot thank you enough for sharing your wealth of information and unbelievably beautiful photographs. We have traveled quite a bit and typically do all the planning on my own but appreciate the fact that we will need assistance to make the most out of this trip. We, too, plan to spend a month in Africa. My question is, how did you find a travel agent to work with who was "well versed" in Africa? Thank you again for sharing so much wonderful information. Michelle

Terry, I just spent a good portion of this afternoon/evening reading this entire thread - better late than never. My husband and I will be on a 16 day cruise (nearly the same itinerary as yours) in January 2019 with Oceania. I cannot thank you enough for sharing your wealth of information and unbelievably beautiful photographs. We have traveled quite a bit and typically do all the planning on my own but appreciate the fact that we will need assistance to make the most out of this trip. We, too, plan to spend a month in Africa. My question is, how did you find a travel agent to work with who was "well versed" in Africa? Thank you again for sharing so much wonderful information. Michelle

Appreciate, Michelle, your kind comments and very nice follow-up. Yes, am happy to share more and answer added questions about our Africa "adventure". Sorry, if my postings took too much time out of your schedule yesterday, but glad that my photos or "eye-candy" were entertaining.

If you can post, in this type of rough format XXX.XXX space at XXX dot com, I can follow-up to you and share more information. On these boards, you do not want to post in normal order your e-mail.

Look forward to chatting and/or connecting more. Glad to see you are from the Dallas area. Fortunately, your part of Texas did not get hit too bad during the recent storms.

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 187,460 views for this posting.

Hi Terry,

Thank you for your quick reply! Yes, thankfully, up here in Dallas we were spared the hurricane. Unfortunately, it just still feels like summer - highs in the mid 90's! Hopefully, I am doing this correctly - michelle.eisn gmail. I have communicated by email before on roll call boards and haven't had a problem so am hoping it's all good here too. :) Michelle

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Terry, Thank you for your quick reply! Yes, thankfully, up here in Dallas we were spared the hurricane. Unfortunately, it just still feels like summer - highs in the mid 90's! Hopefully, I am doing this correctly - michelle.eisn gmail. I have communicated by email before on roll call boards and haven't had a problem so am hoping it's all good here too. :) Michelle

Hi, Michelle! Sorry for my delay. Did not have a chance to reply until today. Hopefully you received my e-mail. If you do not see it, check your spam folder in case it went there by mistake. Or, let me know here.

For those interested in Botswana, its unique history/background, how it moved to its more recent economic success/stability, etc., you want to view the recently-released movie called "A United Kingdom".

From the website IMDb, you can read more at:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3387266/

They note it is: "The story of King Seretse Khama of Botswana and how his loving but controversial marriage to a British white woman, Ruth Williams, put his kingdom into political and diplomatic turmoil."

Much is covered involving the historic "triangle" between the UK, South Africa and Botswana. References are there as to how the British acted (badly) during this period, the broken promises, Winston Churchill's role, the discovery and growth of the diamond business there, etc. If you are interested in history and these types of "historic period pieces", it is worth getting this DVD and viewing. Much of the movie was shot in Botswana and brings back nice memories from our visiting there last year. Botswana is one of Africa's best success stories with the move to self-government and keeping corruption to a minimum.

Panama Canal? Completed Feb. 28-Mar. 15, 2017, Fort Lauderdale to San Francisco adventure through the Panama Canal with our first stops in Colombia, Central America and Mexico, plus added time in the great Golden Gate City. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! Those visuals start on the second page, post #26. See more at:

• 3 months later...

From the BBC Travel News Section, they have this headline: “What's It Like to Live in a Well-Governed County” with these highlights: From Canada to Botswana, these six nations consistently rank highest for their progressive social policies, trust in government and effective justice system.

Here are some of the specifics noted about Botswana in this article: "Botswana consistently ranks as one of the strongest-governed countries in Africa, especially in its role in containing corruption, regionally ranking the highest in both the World Bank assessment and Rule of Law Index. The national revenue from diamond mining has been fairly well distributed throughout the county. 'The entire country was founded on national unity and that is still the case to date,' said Sehenyi Tlotlego, Botswana native and philanthropy coordinator for safari company Sanctuary Retreats. 'We are a nation that believes and practices ‘Ntwa kgolo ke ya molomo’, which means ‘Disputes are resolved effectively by debating them to a conclusion, and not by going to war’.' The country is known for having strong personal freedoms. That freedom extends to everyday interactions. 'Batswana are easy-going people, that believe in open talk and do not take kindly any hidden agendas. It is advisable to be open and discuss issues in the interest of resolving them,' said Tlotlego. Every village with 500 or more people qualifies for a medical clinic and primary school, said Tlotlego. Conservation has also been a strength of Botswana’s government, which has led to tourism driving 12% of overall GDP. Said Tlotlego. 'Botswana has set up and supported one of the strongest anti-poaching units in Africa.' "

Nice to read of these achievements in Botswana and their continued progress in the 21st Century. Glad that we visited and super enjoyed Botswana in early 2016.

Departing today to do our first visit to Southeast Asia. This will feature Hong Kong, Bangkok, Vietnam and Cambodia, including a seven-day Mekong River cruise, then Angkor Wat, Hanoi, Halong Bay and Hue/Danang. We will be gone a little over one month for this latest “adventure”. Will do a "live/blog" on the Cruise Critic River Cruising board starting in late January.

Full story at:

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/20180107-what-its-like-to-live-in-a-well-governed-country

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Just finished June 2017 sailing from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

From the major Times newspaper in South Africa last month, they had this headline: Aussie travel advisory bashes South Africa with these highlights: Murder‚ rape‚ car hijackings‚ civil unrest‚ water shortages‚ spiked drinks‚ drunk drivers and terrorism.These are just a few of the horrors that could be encountered by people heading to South Africa‚ according to travel advice by the Australian government’s department of foreign affairs and trade. Travel advisory website smartraveller.gov.au urges visitors to exercise a 'high degree of caution' in South Africa and offers an extensive list of dangers under the heading 'safety and security' .

Full story at:

https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/south-africa/2018-04-17-aussie-travel-advisory-bashes-south-africa/

We will hope for the best in the future for South Africa and its people. BUT, if planning to be there in the next year, I would encourage researching and preparing accordingly.

From our most recent "adventure" and first trip to Southeast Asia, you can see a few sample visuals below, plus how to connect for more details and pictures, etc., on this full live/blog.

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.! Just completed a Jan. 21-Feb. 20, 2018, first adventure through Southeast Asia with stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before traveling all over Vietnam and Cambodia. This includes seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Lots of fun, interesting pictures!! See more at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

Here are just a few visuals samples from what we saw and did with Avalon while sailing along the Mekong River in Vietnam and Cambodia. Many, many more photos and details on the full live/blog.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these pictures larger/better!)

CMY_0654%202_zpsu3xzdbr1.jpg

CMY_1642%202_zpsylne46ki.jpg

CMY_1874_zpskuw4drgj.jpg

We saw many temples, palaces, markets and samples of daily life/work, including at this below spectacular Royal structure in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.:

CMY_1271_zpsif0trcea.jpg

CMY_1025%203_zpsn1ha0rtn.jpg

CMY_0470%201_zpsdpnhanc1.jpg

• 2 months later...

From the CNN cable news network in late July, they had this headline: 30 best things to do in Cape Town with these highlights: Cape Town is one of the world's most beautiful cities. From almost any vantage point, there's a mountain or an ocean in view, and often both. The weather is notoriously fickle -- it's easy to experience four seasons in a day. But that just reminds of the variety of things to do. If it's too cloudy to hike on the mountain, then there's art galleries, wineries and beaches. Swim with a penguin, burrow deep into the city's history, or just walk along cobblestone streets.

WOW!! Lots of great tips and ideas are shared in this report. What is shared brings back wonderful memories from our five days in Cape Town. Here is more from their profile: "Cape Town is defined by Table Mountain. Locals give directions based on whether to drive towards or away from it, and by which side of the mountain something is on. The mountain affects weather, views, and in a particular way, moods. When the day is clear and the mountain's edges are crisp, life just seems better. The notorious Robben Island prison that held Nelson Mandela and other heroes of the liberation struggle is now a museum, unique in that the tours are given by former inmates. While the prison itself is a sobering window on the conditions suffered by political prisoners, it's the first-hand accounts that give life to the place."

Full story at:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/cape-town-best-things/index.html

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 229,121 views.