Options for A Sunday in Warnemunde

Our ship arrives in Warnemunde at 8 a.m. and departs at 7 p.m. on a Sunday. We've already visited Berlin for 6 hours on a previous cruise, so we're planning to skip Berlin this time. One option we're considering is going to Schwerin to see Schwerin Castle. The other option might be just exploring around Warnemunde for the day. I'm not sure what there is to do in Warnemunde, though. Any insights about options or other suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Warnemunde is a tourist town and most cafes and restaurants will be open, so no worries there. It is a quaint fishing village, it has a nice promenade to the beach. You can swim, sit in a "Strandkorb" and just decompress for a day. You can climb the lighthouse.

If you get adventurous have a wander around Wismar and eat a fish sandwich purchased dockside from a boat. Wismar is a medieval town, with town arches and many Brick gothic buildings. If you are diligent you can also find a roman bath off on one of the side streets not too far from the Cathedral.

Lots to do if you want a leisurely day.

strandkorb-7.jpg

The problem for things to do are the Sunday laws in Germany. The Mollie excursion train that begins in Bad Doberan is one suggestion. Visiting Rostock tourist areas is another.

Thanks for these suggestions, Heartgrove! I'll look into those options in greater detail. Your help is much appreciated.

Warnemunde is a tourist town and most cafes and restaurants will be open, so no worries there. It is a quaint fishing village, it has a nice promenade to the beach. You can swim, sit in a "Strandkorb" and just decompress for a day. You can climb the lighthouse.

If you get adventurous have a wander around Wismar and eat a fish sandwich purchased dockside from a boat. Wismar is a medieval town, with town arches and many Brick gothic buildings. If you are diligent you can also find a roman bath off on one of the side streets not too far from the Cathedral.

Lots to do if you want a leisurely day.

Thanks for these excellent insights, Sauer-kraut. It sounds like Warnemunde could be a nice, relaxing place to spend the day. The beach looks beautiful. I'll check out information on Wismar as well. Your help is greatly appreciated!

The train station was very close to where our ship docked. We caught an early train to Bad Doberan and then took the Mollie steam train excursion which was really nice. Then back onto the regular train where we got off in Rostock and explored the area, grabbing a late lunch. Rostock has a trolley that runs from the train station into town, Eventually got back on the train, and if I recall correctly, returned to Warnemunde around five o'clock with time to explore this beach town a bit and get an ice cream cone before heading back to the ship for dinner. It was a fun day.

We rented bicycles in Warnemuende and spent the morning cycling through the countryside (on a great paved bike trail). In the afternoon, we took the train to Rostock and went to the Stasi Museum (fascinating!)

Thanks for all this wonderful information on Warnemunde. We're looking forward to being there in a few weeks. I've checked out Travelanni's site and Schwerin looks fantastic too, so I think we're going to try to explore both places when our ship is in Warnemunde. Your first-hand insights are greatly appreciated!

We caught a train to Schwerin, had to change at Rostock but very easy and quite cheap I think - it was 4 years ago. Schwerin was fabulous, just walked to the castle.

Sent from my SM-G800F using Forums mobile app

Thanks for letting me know, susu1001! We're really looking forward to going to Schwerin and going to the castle. It looks like there are some renovations going on right now, but I'm sure it will be fantastic. We're hoping to explore Schwerin a bit before heading back to Warnemunde to walk around there. Really looking forward to this cruise!