(Almost) Live from the Whisper - Southampton to Montreal

RosseauGirl

After a rather busy and stressful month, we are finally waiting in the Lounge at Pearson for our flight to Gatwick. Our travelling companion is en route, so T and I are doing the reasonable thing, and testing all the different white wines on offer. Westjet is supposedly still on time, but we'll see....

Looking forward to a couple of days at the Waldorf in London, which is one of my favourite hotels, before we head to the Whisper in Southampton.

M

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Arrived in beautiful sunny warm London, only 30 minutes late but through immigration and luggage quickly. Nice surprise when we arrived at the Waldorf - upgraded to the Astor Suite. Off for lunch on Bow Street, then spent a couple hours wandering through the British Museum trying to stave off sleep. Just going to have a short nap before cocktails, canapés and dinner.

I wish you great enjoyment on your Silversea Whisper cruise and I too am looking forward to your impressions and reports!

We are seasoned Seabourn travelers and I post often on CC. That said, when I look over Silversea threads I don't see very much activity.

We decided to take our first Silversea cruise and it happens to be on the Whisper in 2 months. If you have experience with Seabourn- or any other line for that matter- please post your thoughts as to your expectations and general impressions.

Thanks and "Happy and Healthy Sailing"!

A touristy day in overcast London. Hop on hop off bus for the morning, followed by a cruise on the Thames. Drove past Big Ben at noon, in time to hear the last chimes for the next four years (except for certain special occasions), then pub crawled our way back to the Waldorf for a short break before happy hour and dinner. Hard to believe we've only been here for just over 24 hours, can't wait to head to Southampton and the Whisper in the morning [emoji4]

You're on your way I can see in marine traffic. Have a great time and look forward to your live review. Will be interested in what you get up to on your sea days especially. We are on the Shadow next up with 3 sea days and always used to waking up each day in a new port.... I know many love sea days... I think I more look forward to getting off and exploring. But I expect both are good.

Have fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And we are on board! A relatively quick drive to the port, totally seamless embarkation, followed by an enjoyable lunch in La Terrazza. Typical muster drill, a few libations in the bar (glad to see Oliver behind the bar!), then an exceptional dinner in the MDR. Veal for me, chicken for my DH. We have noticed that the pastries and desserts are exceptional!

Today we are in Fowey, which is a picturesque little town on the Cornish coast. No tours booked so we will take the tender and wander around. Trivia at 445, Meet and Greet at 6, then Captains Reception at 645.

Will try and post some pics later today.

M

And we are on board! A relatively quick drive to the port, totally seamless embarkation, followed by an enjoyable lunch in La Terrazza. Typical muster drill, a few libations in the bar (glad to see Oliver behind the bar!), then an exceptional dinner in the MDR. Veal for me, chicken for my DH. We have noticed that the pastries and desserts are exceptional!

Today we are in Fowey, which is a picturesque little town on the Cornish coast. No tours booked so we will take the tender and wander around. Trivia at 445, Meet and Greet at 6, then Captains Reception at 645.

Will try and post some pics later today.

M

Hope you have a calm crossing. Enjoy the many talents of Oliver.

So trivia was not so good. Met some wonderful people (now known as the Sea Whisperers) but outthought ourselves on the questions. Attended our Meet n Greet, then off to the Captains reception and a wonderfully lively dinner with out Whisperers. Heading out into the Irish Sea to Cobb.

Cheers!

M

Can you tell me who the Capt, Cruise Director, Hotel Director and Matre di are please.

Joe

Cataldo Destefano, Vicki Van T, Henry D'Roza, Sergio

And sorry about the trivia, Rosseaugirl, I guess I just lucked into a good team, although I suspect we won't be winning too often, I get the impression that the teams are fairly evenly matched.

Great treat today, Market Visit to Cork English Market (!!!) with David B.

Edited by jollyjones

We've randomly participated in the daily trivia challenge and group trivia on previous voyages, but I didn't realize it was a blood sport. This morning shortly after breakfast we saw a fellow passenger with the just released daily trivia challenge- pen in one hand and cellphone in the other. It looked pretty obvious to me what was happening. At that point we decided it wasn't 'fun' anymore.

By the way, it was a real pleasure to meet everyone at the meet and mingle last night. There were so many people there it was hard to mingle with everyone.

I too have seen pax answering the morning quiz with google's help, but only on recent cruises - I wonder if this is an unintended consequence of the free wifi?

Whatever the cause, I've given up on them, doesn't seem worth the effort even though I used to enjoy having a try.

Good to meet folks at the M&M. No comment about the Quiz but good luck getting a signal if that's the way you want to go! Vodaphone obviously has no intention of playing with me on this trip - oh well!

Service on this is not what we experienced last year which is rather sad but early days yet.

Mary

I too have seen pax answering the morning quiz with google's help, but only on recent cruises - I wonder if this is an unintended consequence of the free wifi?

Whatever the cause, I've given up on them, doesn't seem worth the effort even though I used to enjoy having a try.

I think I'd have to glance and nod my head with a few tut tuts if I saw that.

I've seen answers challenged with googles help (successfully I might add) after the triv answers already given to gain an extra point.... all fair in this serious "sport" I guess. But cheating like that is out right embarrassing - especially being caught.

I play the odd game here and there (trips usually dictate it's impossible to always be there anyway), but if I thought that was the norm, I'd certainly not bother at all. I've never seen anyone, but in fairness I've not been looking and never actually thought anyone would do that.

On one cruise one of a team's members would spend the trivia quiz reading a book on her iPad - or so we thought. Until one really tricky question when she surreptitously typed on her iPad, waited a moment, then tilted the screeen to the nearest member of the team who then, oddly, came up with the answer and passed it on to the team captain. Maybe she was just showing him an interesting news story?

Thanks for the information on officers.

Hope you all enjoy Belfast on Saturday the weather forecast is for sun and showers 18 degrees (which really means the forecasters don't have a clue). It is a very busy weekend with not a hotel room to be had.

Regards

Joe

So today was an on our own walking tour of Cobh - found the Titanic Memorial Garden, such a beautiful peaceful place. Lunch on board, then a Walking Tour of Cork, which was very enjoyable, particularly the Beamish Stout at the pub. Showed up for the end of trivia, not excelling there but enjoying our teammates. Dinner at the Grill was a little brisk but very tasty. I've not been feeling well for the last few days but I think I am seeing the end of whatever this is. Off to Dublin!!

...So today was an on our own walking tour of Cobh...

...Off to Dublin!!...

Aah! Co Cork. I am envious of your time in my homeland, most particularly our chosen place of residence when we move ''back home''.

Hope you enjoy Dublin. The walk alongside the Liffey from the docks to Ha'penny bridge and beyond is lovely when the weather's favourable (which, being Ireland, isn't that often!). It's a very compact city that has sprawled outward not not (yet) upward. Any city that produces such diverse talents as the Duke of Wellington at one end of the scale and Oscar Wilde at the other with a disproportionate number of talented individuals in between must have something going for it. Personally, I think it's the Guinness!

A fairly quiet day in Dublin as I keep fighting off this cold. Took the shuttle to town, then did the tour of Trinity College and the Book of Kells, followed by a comfort food lunch of Beef and Guinness stew. A bit of retail therapy, then back to the boat for a nap and laundry.

Trivia today was a success! After a couple dismal showings, the Sea Whisperers triumphed! Still missing our Whisper Sisters, CruisinPashmina, but today we did you proud.

Dinner tonight in the MDR, then off to Belfast.

M