Welcome to NE Germany - happy to help you enjoy

Hi Anni,

Four of us (all adults) will arrive Rostock on Pullmantur Monarch on Aug. 12 at 8am and will leave at 8pm.

Any suggestions as to what to do from 9am to 7pm?

We don't want to venture to Berlin.

We may go to Rostock City Centre, Schwerin Castle and Molli train.

Can these be done in our restricted time (9am-7pm) and how?

We are open to suggestions as this is the first time for us visiting Germany.

Thanks.

Hi Anni,

Four of us (all adults) will arrive Rostock on Pullmantur Monarch on Aug. 12 at 8am and will leave at 8pm.

Any suggestions as to what to do from 9am to 7pm?

We don't want to venture to Berlin.

We may go to Rostock City Centre, Schwerin Castle and Molli train.

Can these be done in our restricted time (9am-7pm) and how?

We are open to suggestions as this is the first time for us visiting Germany.

Thanks.

The address of the Rostock cruise terminal is:

Rostock Warnemunde

Am Passagierkai

18119 Rostock

Is this the same as Warnemunde?

Thanks

The address of the Rostock cruise terminal is:

Rostock Warnemunde

Am Passagierkai

18119 Rostock

Is this the same as Warnemunde?

Thanks

Monarch will dock at LP 31.

Is this Rostock or Warnemunde?

Monarch will dock at LP 31.

Is this Rostock or Warnemunde?

Hi, LP 31 is in the commercial part of the Port of Rostock, across the river from the cruise terminal in Warnemuende. As explained before Warnemuende is a seaside suburb of the City of Rostock.

For details on places to go in the area, how to get there from both the cruise terminal and the other berths (LP31, LP41), timetables and fares etc. please see the relevant pages on my website

www.travelanni.webs.com

Happy cruising :)

Anni

Hi, LP 31 is in the commercial part of the Port of Rostock, across the river from the cruise terminal in Warnemuende. As explained before Warnemuende is a seaside suburb of the City of Rostock.

For details on places to go in the area, how to get there from both the cruise terminal and the other berths (LP31, LP41), timetables and fares etc. please see the relevant pages on my website

www.travelanni.webs.com

Anni

Thanks a lot for the clarification and the useful information on your website.

Is car hire available at LP31 where Monarch is docked?

If we hire a car 8:30am - 7:00pm, can we do LP31 -- Schwerin-- Wismar-- Bad Doberan-- Rostock-- Warnemunde -- LP31?

If Bad Doberan is out of the way, we can skip it.

Thanks again.

Is it possible to take a taxi to and from Warnemunde to Bad Doberan or one of the other stops on the Molli train? For various reasons we may choose not to take the train. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Anni,

Your travelanni website is very informative. We had already decided that the Berlin trip was too much for one day and wanted to stay local. Your website gives us all the logistics we need

Thanks,

NorcalBeni

Thanks a lot for the clarification and the useful information on your website.

Is car hire available at LP31 where Monarch is docked?

If we hire a car 8:30am - 7:00pm, can we do LP31 -- Schwerin-- Wismar-- Bad Doberan-- Rostock-- Warnemunde -- LP31?

If Bad Doberan is out of the way, we can skip it.

Thanks again.

Thank you for your appreciation.

I would think that there are car hire facilities where you will dock. In my previous post I gave the web addresses of the major three companies servicing cruise ship passengers. They would be able to tell you.

I'm afraid that as I never travel by car I cannot really answer your second question but as you will see from a map all of the places you mention are in a rough half circle within 1 hour by train from Warnemeunde. Hope this helps.

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

Is it possible to take a taxi to and from Warnemunde to Bad Doberan or one of the other stops on the Molli train? For various reasons we may choose not to take the train. Thank you!

A taxi from Warnemuende to Bad Doberan (nearest place on the Molli route) would cost between 40 and 45 euros, travel time about 30mins. You would probably have to book in advance as the taxis waiting at the cruise terminal may only wish to do local fares.

Anni

Thanks Anni,

Your travelanni website is very informative. We had already decided that the Berlin trip was too much for one day and wanted to stay local. Your website gives us all the logistics we need

Thanks,

NorcalBeni

Thank you for your appreciation. To hear that it has answered all your questions makes all the time and effort worthwhile. I have tried to make the web site as comprehensive and easily understandable as possible and to keep it up to date. I am happy to answer specific questions but the answers to the basic questions can usually be found on the web site or in previous posts as you have discovered.

Thank you for taking the trouble to let me know it helped.

Anni

Hi, just to let you all know that I will be making my annual visit to my family in Australia from 12th June to 2nd August. During that time I will be mostly off-line but I am sure that others will step in if you have specific questions.

Most of the information about places to visit in the area, how to get around, timetables, fares etc. can be found on my web site or in previous posts.

Anni

A taxi from Warnemuende to Bad Doberan (nearest place on the Molli route) would cost between 40 and 45 euros, travel time about 30mins. You would probably have to book in advance as the taxis waiting at the cruise terminal may only wish to do local fares.

Anni

Thank you so much!

Hi, just to let you all know that I will be making my annual visit to my family in Australia from 12th June to 2nd August. During that time I will be mostly off-line but I am sure that others will step in if you have specific questions.

Most of the information about places to visit in the area, how to get around, timetables, fares etc. can be found on my web site or in previous posts.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Have a safe trip and enjoy enjoy enjoy!! Bon voyage, Anni :cool:

Hi Travelanni it seems I need your help again. I purchased train tickets for travel from Warnemunde to Berlin for June 22. Do we need to change trains in Rostock or does it go directly to Berlin? Also I did not get seat tickets - do I need to? We are due to board our ship shortly and will not have wifi all the time. Is it easy to get a taxi in Berlin to go to our hotel? Thank you!

Hi Travelanni it seems I need your help again. I purchased train tickets for travel from Warnemunde to Berlin for June 22. Do we need to change trains in Rostock or does it go directly to Berlin? Also I did not get seat tickets - do I need to? We are due to board our ship shortly and will not have wifi all the time. Is it easy to get a taxi in Berlin to go to our hotel? Thank you!

I just did this trip in reverse (from Berlin to Warnemunde) and we had to change trains 3 times due to construction on the line. Look at the website where you bought your tickets and it should show the number of changes and names of the stations where you change. I am almost positive you will have to change at least in Rostock...that leg is very short and we didn't even sit down...just stood with our luggage near the door.

We did not have seats on any of our legs and were able to sit together (5 people). But our trains were not very full. As far as taxis, you should not have any problem, no matter which station in Berlin you arrive at.

Monarch willl dock at LP31 on Saturday Aug. 12.

Is there enough time to go to Schwerin, Wismar and Rostock city centre on public transport if we have 8:30 am to 6:30pm?

Thanks a lot.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know the Schwerin castle is closed Mondays. We were thinking about taking the train to see the outside of the castle. Is it still partially covered by construction scaffolding now? If yes, do you know how long the construction will continue? We will visit on September 11, 2017.

Thank you so much for all your valuable information.

Lynn,

I found a live webcam of Schwerin Castle and saw a big crane next to it. However, that shouldn't stop you from visiting it. The castle and the surrounding lake are beautiful and I guess you will find some angles where no construction is in sight. See https://www.webcamgalore.com/webcam/Germany/Schwerin/4755.html .

Several years ago, with great help from travelanni, I took train between Rostock and Schwerin in a group of 4 persons (great deal for the train tickets). The inside of the castle and palace turned museum is nice but there are many similar ones in Europe. The lake between the train station and the town center, the ground/garden of the castle, the lake around it are great and unique scenery. The cafe at the ground level with tables outside is nice too.

If you do go there and have no mobility problem, then try go in the south south west direction to the end of a long cross-shaped pool and look back at the castle. It should be a Kodak moment.

Hope you get nice weather for the visit.

Hi, We will be in the Warnemunde port in mid-September. I was doing a little research on your website and trying to determine our itinerary as we will not be taking the long journey to Berlin. We visit on a Monday and the Schwerin is closed. Is there any reason to go out there if it is closed? We are also thinking of doing the Mollie train. Is that a good option in September? Not sure about the weather or seasonality of it. On your website you mention stopping at the seaside town of Kuhlungsborn. Is there still a good reason to do that in the fall (rather than summer)? I associate seaside visits with summer. It seems like walking around Rostock is still a good option. What do you suggest for a leisurely itinerary? We don't want to rush off the ship at the crack of dawn and plan to eat dinner on the ship (lunch in port).

Thanks so much for your help and have a great day!

When we docked in Warnemuende a couple of years ago, we rented bicycles to ride to Kuhlungsborn. It was a lovely ride on a dedicated bike trail with views of both the countryside and the ocean. While we did this in the summer, I think it would be a great ride to make in the fall as well.

After our bike ride, we took the train to Rostock and went to the Stasi Museum. It was fascinating. Then we walked around the pedestrian zone in Rostock for a little while and took the ship-sponsored bus back our ship.

Hi, We will be in the Warnemunde port in mid-September. I was doing a little research on your website and trying to determine our itinerary as we will not be taking the long journey to Berlin. We visit on a Monday and the Schwerin is closed. Is there any reason to go out there if it is closed? We are also thinking of doing the Mollie train. Is that a good option in September? Not sure about the weather or seasonality of it. On your website you mention stopping at the seaside town of Kuhlungsborn. Is there still a good reason to do that in the fall (rather than summer)? I associate seaside visits with summer. It seems like walking around Rostock is still a good option. What do you suggest for a leisurely itinerary? We don't want to rush off the ship at the crack of dawn and plan to eat dinner on the ship (lunch in port).

Thanks so much for your help and have a great day!

Hi, at this time of year you really cannot plan according to the seasons! Although it is the middle of summer we are having a coolish spell at the moment, 18-21C max. Last year the summer weather lasted into early October and the forecast is for warm, sunny weather next week. Unless you intend to swim in the sea, anytime between Easter and October is suitable for the seaside. This is considered the 'holiday season' when everything is open.

If, on a Baltic cruise, you are only going to see the inside of the castle in Schwerin it is probably not worth it as you will see much more impressive palace interiors in SPB for example. However the outside of the castle IS impressive and the gardens and park, which are open every day, are beautiful. The town is nice too, set as it is on lakes and with some really interesting buildings

I would recommend the Molli train. The ride through the countryside is lovely and Kulungsborn is a very popular holiday destination in September.

On the way back you could stop in Bad Doberan (where you change from the Molli to public transport) and sit and have a coffee while watching the Molli steam up the middle of the Main Street or visit the Minster in the grounds of the old monastery.

If you choose to walk around Rostock remember that most places close at 6pm. I personally would choose to finish with a walk around Warnemeunde which is a little gem. Depending on your departure time you may even be able to do this after dinner as the Main Street is only 5mins walk from the ship.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Hi, at this time of year you really cannot plan according to the seasons! Although it is the middle of summer we are having a coolish spell at the moment, 18-21C max. Last year the summer weather lasted into early October and the forecast is for warm, sunny weather next week. Unless you intend to swim in the sea, anytime between Easter and October is suitable for the seaside. This is considered the 'holiday season' when everything is open.

If, on a Baltic cruise, you are only going to see the inside of the castle in Schwerin it is probably not worth it as you will see much more impressive palace interiors in SPB for example. However the outside of the castle IS impressive and the gardens and park, which are open every day, are beautiful. The town is nice too, set as it is on lakes and with some really interesting buildings

I would recommend the Molli train. The ride through the countryside is lovely and Kulungsborn is a very popular holiday destination in September.

On the way back you could stop in Bad Doberan (where you change from the Molli to public transport) and sit and have a coffee while watching the Molli steam up the middle of the Main Street or visit the Minster in the grounds of the old monastery.

If you choose to walk around Rostock remember that most places close at 6pm. I personally would choose to finish with a walk around Warnemeunde which is a little gem. Depending on your departure time you may even be able to do this after dinner as the Main Street is only 5mins walk from the ship.

Anni

www.travelanni.webs.com

Thank you for your insightful answer. We will be in port on September 11, so not next week for the lovely weather! Our ship departs at 10:00 and we have dinner reservations on ship at 6:30. Hopefully we can stroll around Warnemunde at about 7:30. Would shops be open then? Thank you.