Dress codes

eliana

We are clearly not part of the market that Silversea seems to cater for. Fine, we shall not revert to Silversea, but remain with Regent and Seabourn.

\

Hi Elaina - we do like Silversea - despite their dress code. Your comment about Silversea not marketing to people that feel as you (and I) do, the majority of passengers that sail Silversea are not from the U.S. or Canada (unlike Regent where the majority of passengers are from North America). It seems that the relaxed dress code is slowly moving to the U.K. but it isn't there quite yet.

IMO, the cruise lines that have gone Elegant Casual have difficulty with people wanting to push the lowest acceptable dress. While polo shirts are acceptable, I feel this is too casual. While tuxedos are not required (nor or suits, jackets, etc.), men can certainly wear them if they wish. My DH (who is from the U.K.) wears long sleeved dress shirts and nice slacks and wears a jacket on special nights or special dining venues.

As long as Silversea continues filling their ships with passengers that like the dress code, it will remain. On the other hand, it is fairly easy to follow the dress code without a tuxedo or gown.

TC2

Your comment about Silversea not marketing to people that feel as you (and I) do, the majority of passengers that sail Silversea are not from the U.S. or Canada (unlike Regent where the majority of passengers are from North America).

TC2

That is not true. Please see the data on this link: https://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/cruiseline.cfm?CruiseLineID=35

"In terms of nationality, usually about 50 percent are from North America, with the other half coming from all over the world (predominately the U.K., Europe and Australia)."

And from this link: http://********************/cruise-research/cruise-lines/silversea-cruises/

"The typical Silversea passenger well-traveled, affluent and over 50, although the line does attract young professionals as well. The ships demographic generally has an international mix; approximately 75% are English-speaking (50% from the U.S.) and the other 25% from various other parts of the world."

From our experience on Silversea (Whisper and Wind on three voyages) the data above are more reflective of the passenger breakdown than the comment would indicate.

They say "People who are old-fashioned do not like change"

Cruising use to be referred to as for the newly wed or the nearly dead. I think in the luxury market it is the nearly dead not the newlyweds. My kids would be bored to death on SS and they are over thirty and successful. They did love Regent and Crystal when we took them and both line were elegant casual and black tie optional.

The gowns and Tuxedos are going away. I have not worn a gown in ten years and DH leaves his Tux at home.

That is not true. Please see the data on this link: https://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/cruiseline.cfm?CruiseLineID=35

"In terms of nationality, usually about 50 percent are from North America, with the other half coming from all over the world (predominately the U.K., Europe and Australia)."

And from this link: http://********************/cruise-research/cruise-lines/silversea-cruises/

"The typical Silversea passenger well-traveled, affluent and over 50, although the line does attract young professionals as well. The ships demographic generally has an international mix; approximately 75% are English-speaking (50% from the U.S.) and the other 25% from various other parts of the world."

From our experience on Silversea (Whisper and Wind on three voyages) the data above are more reflective of the passenger breakdown than the comment would indicate.

You are right. This has been my experience as an avid Silversea cruiser--50% or more from US and Canada. Also good number of Aussies and Brits.

Fear not, cruises in the Caribbean are less formal. However, formal players will not be playing with themselves; they are usually very fond of meeting others while enjoying their right to dress as they wish.
And, voyages of 7-days in the Baltic, Mediterranean, and Alaska are also less formal as formal night is always optional whereby guests can choose to dress informally in any venue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that most of us are aware that what is said on this board and what actually happens On Board can be quite different.....one will always find those...like myself ..who wish to dress up every evening...and those that wish to remain more casual and for this Silversea have the various options.

It's not what people wear it what's inside that matters.....😊

I k that most of us are aware that what is said on this board and what actually happens On Board can be quite different.....one will always find those...like myself ..who wish to dress up every evening...and those that wish to remain more casual and for this Silversea have the various options.

It's not what people wear it what's inside that matters.....😊

Very well said, " It's not what people wear it what's inside that matters."