Dress codes

eliana

Is there any likelihood of Silversea changing its dress codes to only smart casual like Regent and to a great extent Seabourn. We are about to book late 2017 and all of 2018 cruises and would like to cruise with Silversea again, but on holiday we dislike their stultifying dress codes. For example, men are no longer required to wear ties in any restaurants in Britain and even in the House of Commons, and very few restaurants in London require a jacket.

Come on Silversea move from the 19th century to the 21st.

Is there any likelihood of Silversea changing its dress codes to only smart casual like Regent and to a great extent Seabourn. We are about to book late 2017 and all of 2018 cruises and would like to cruise with Silversea again, but on holiday we dislike their stultifying dress codes. For example, men are no longer required to wear ties in any restaurants in Britain and even in the House of Commons, and very few restaurants in London require a jacket.

Highly unlikely, and why should SS change a winning formula?

We should welcome diversity and applaud a willingness to cater to a part of the market that still enjoys dressing up.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are clearly not part of the market that Silversea seems to cater for. Fine, we shall not revert to Silversea, but remain with Regent and Seabourn.

Your choice entirely, but if for example you sailed on Silver Muse, you could dress casual every night in a couple of restaurants and informal of 4 others.

Even on the rest of the fleet where certain nights are designated Formal, you can avoid doing so by eating in the Hot Rocks restaurant.

Personally I'm happy that Silversea has kept formal wear..... But it is a can of worms for sure.

Even on the rest of the fleet where certain nights are designated Formal, you can avoid doing so by eating in the Hot Rocks restaurant.

Am I not correct that La Terrazza is informal even on formal nights? I have found that Hot Rocks is occasionally closed on formal nights.

Am I not correct that La Terrazza is informal even on formal nights? I have found that Hot Rocks is occasionally closed on formal nights.

I do know la terrazza has been made more casual... I can remember it being an informal night in the Caribbean last month and suggested I really didn't need to wear a tie and lots were there without jackets.... and I'm very much ok that la terrazza is being run in that way. It does mean effectively the dress code has been dumbed down as it is.

Dunno about hot Rocks not being open. I may have wrongly assumed it was nigh always open. I only ever use it once per trip.

We are on silver shadow and the dress code is not enforced. We've seen many men not wearing jackets at night in La Terrazza. Our group didn't wear them one night also..

La Terrazza, is really only a long sleeve, button-down shirt. When asking they will also accept a nice short-sleeve Polo shirt with color. Others will show-up with sports coats but that's not required. If any doubt or questions, just ask the maitre d... Sometimes a little changes occur on different ships.

Count us as fans of "casual elegance". We don't enjoy attending formal events here, and have no desire to haul tux and gowns across the ocean. So after reading many snooty comments, and some helpful suggestions, we booked La Terraza and Hot Rocks for every formal evening, and most of the other nights too. I have no problem with others choosing to dress formally, but am growing weary of the 'holier than thou' attitude of some of the [presumably impeccably-dressed] posters here.

On formal nights there are still choices where formal dress is not required. So everyone is catered for. Seems eminently sensible.

+1 another vote for more casual. Have no issue bringing a sport coat, but would prefer not to bring the dark suit, tie, and polished shoes. "Jacket Suggested" would work nicely in the most formal restaurant.

I really haven't paid attention to the occasional nights Hot Rocks is closed. If memory serves me right we've had cruises where Hot Rocks was open every night and other cruises where it might be closed one night during the cruise. We've been on cruises that had two to three formal nights and I'm pretty sure they weren't closed every formal night. Since we like formal nights we usually eat in the MDR on those nights so haven't paid much attention to Hot Rocks. That's not to say we don't like Hot Rocks and depending on the weather and length of the itinerary often book it two or three nights.

The thing about SS that appeals to some is that it is one of the few lines that still has a formal dress code on certain nights - maybe one night in four? But it also designates Terraza and the Grill as non-formal. So, really, those that want to wear formal wear and those that don't are both catered for. I'm finding it very hard to understand why anyone would have a problem with this.

The reason why we no longer like Silversea is that we do not like to be limited where we can dine by their old fashioned dress code. We do not object to those who like formal dress but it should be optional and neither jackets or ties for men required. Flexibility is what we want.

The thing about SS that appeals to some is that it is one of the few lines that still has a formal dress code on certain nights - maybe one night in four? But it also designates Terraza and the Grill as non-formal. So, really, those that want to wear formal wear and those that don't are both catered for. I'm finding it very hard to understand why anyone would have a problem with this.

Me too TTS, there is a whole world of choice out there with Seabourn, Regent, Crystal, Oceania and Viking to name a few that cater for the cruisers who wish to be more casual. Why is there this continuous need to knock SS's dress code, which as you state forces no one to dress up if they do not wish to.

Cunard also has a dress code but doesn't seem to generate the same level of feeling from those who believe that moaning will change what the vast majority of SS customers see as an acceptable status quo and indeed a unique selling point.

Me too TTS, there is a whole world of choice out there with Seabourn, Regent, Crystal, Oceania and Viking to name a few that cater for the cruisers who wish to be more casual. Why is there this continuous need to knock SS's dress code, which as you state forces no one to dress up if they do not wish to.

Cunard also has a dress code but doesn't seem to generate the same level of feeling from those who believe that moaning will change what the vast majority of SS customers see as an acceptable status quo and indeed a unique selling point.

I also agree. We all have choices. While we like and support Silversea's dress code for us it is not a deciding factor when we research, plan, and book a cruise. We have, and still do, consider Silversea, Seabourn, Regent, et al when we're looking for a cruise. We're destination cruisers and so far it just turns out that Silversea has had better itineraries for our interest. We'd actually very much like to try Seabourn but it just hasn't worked out but in no way has that been influenced by their dress code.

Sort of ironic that I started a thread about a week ago asking whether women still wore gowns on formal nights. My husband and I will be on a Western Europe cruise in September that has 3 formal nights, and I wasn't sure what women actually wore on those nights. I was pleased with the response from many posters that, indeed, they wore gowns on formal nights, and I would not feel out of place. So I will be bringing gowns and my husband will take his tuxedo. This is fun for us, and one of the reasons I still choose to sail Silversea. I understand this is not for everyone, and that some suggest that people be allowed to dress however they like each night (within reason, of course). I for one would not be in favor of that. I know that I would feel out of place wearing a gown or similar formal wear (and my husband in a tuxedo) if many others were dressed much more casually.

I would like condition your statement: Most ladies wear cocktail attire on formal nights, whether long or short or pants, but they do dress formally on formal nights. I don't believe "many others will be dressed more casually"... unless you only refer to those that stay away from the MDR.

Many others WILL be dressed more casually. You'll be the outlier in a long gown. But as long as it makes you happy who cares? Nor should anyone care if I prefer to dress less formally.

"Outlier" is a bit strong. It really depends on the itinerary and the mix of passengers on a cruise. On our five Med cruises a long gown would have been closer to the norm than an outlier. Our Caribbean cruise was a bit more casual but there were still a lot of long gowns.

Believe it or not, Silversea has actually relaxed dress codes over the 20 years we have sailed with them. We did the Silver Spirit maiden crossing in 2010, and dined for the first time at the newly invented Hot Rocks. It was a formal night and the dress code was indeed formal. And they did not have the clip-on bibs they now use. I am proud to say that I somehow managed to cook and eat my filet and prawns without soiling my tuxedo! This is a proud moment in my memory. And now it is always casual!

I would like condition your statement: Most ladies wear cocktail attire on formal nights, whether long or short or pants, but they do dress formally on formal nights. I don't believe "many others will be dressed more casually"... unless you only refer to those that stay away from the MDR.

A cocktail dress is more casual than a long gown!

A cocktail dress is more casual than a long gown!

Not necessarily... and they are both considered formal, along with dressy pants and blingy or otherwise dressy top. Also, women wear accessories to further enhance their attire. Somehow, women tend to complain less than men regarding formalwear in these boards...

We are clearly not part of the market that Silversea seems to cater for. Fine, we shall not revert to Silversea, but remain with Regent and Seabourn.
Why do you think you are not part of the market caters to? We've found a wide variety of dining options on SS that allow us to dress however we like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk