Silversea's Excursion Prices?

ladymadeline

First time on Silverseas (January 2018) Chile to Buenos Aires. I can find the excursion list on the website, but no prices. I'm used to Regent, so paying for excursions is something new and I'd like to know now as to what to expect. Any help would be appreciated.

First time on Silverseas (January 2018) Chile to Buenos Aires. I can find the excursion list on the website, but no prices. I'm used to Regent, so paying for excursions is something new and I'd like to know now as to what to expect. Any help would be appreciated.

Good luck to our Michigan neighbor to the north for doing your first cruise with Silversea. Generally, they will have a good to very good range of tour excursion options and potentials. In some cases, the full details, including pricing, is not posted on the SS website till 60 days prior to your cruise. Be patient!! But, do your research and planning ahead as to the options in each ports that fits your interests.

In most cases based on doing five cruises with this company, Silversea does not pack their buses with too many people and there is always an added ship staff person traveling along to make sure that things go smoothly with the driver and guide. BUT, with Silversea and other cruise lines, the providers on these tours are local companies. Things will vary depending on the exact locations as to the exact quality for what is offered and can be obtained. There are pro/con factors on ship versus private tours. That is a totally different and much longer discussion for those various factors to consider and do.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 52,522 views for these postings.

Do yourself a big favor and check out private tours in your ports. You'll have control of the agenda, won't have to hassle with forty other people on a bus and in most cases, it will not cost more than multiple people taking a ship's tour. Also check out the roll call thread for your cruise where you might be able to find other passengers on the same sailing who would be willing to share the private tours, bringing down the cost even more.

Do yourself a big favor and check out private tours in your ports. You'll have control of the agenda, won't have to hassle with forty other people on a bus and in most cases, it will not cost more than multiple people taking a ship's tour. Also check out the roll call thread for your cruise where you might be able to find other passengers on the same sailing who would be willing to share the private tours, bringing down the cost even more.

Agree with wripro that there are many positives to consider in doing private tours. During our most-recent eight cruises, we have done about a half and half mix of private . . . versus . . . ship tours. Lots of various factors to consider, including as to what is available in each port, costs, being able to partner up with another couple to share costs, etc.

Yes, for our Michigan neighbor, be patience. You can always book a ship tour and cancel it later if a private tour option would end up working out better. I usually check TripAdvisor or ToursByLocals website and contact around three top guides in each market where we are looking for good options to consider. Then I give them ideas on our personal interests/needs. Some guides actually read what you ask, will be responsive, etc. Those are the kind of better folks that I seek and like. During our June Silver Spirit cruise, we had both great ship and private tours/adventures. BUT, only good or very good can be the result, too, from either source.

Lisbon, NWSpain, Bordeaux/Brittany: Just finished June 2017 sailing from Portugal to France along the scenic Atlantic Coast, plus great pre- and post-cruise experiences. Many interesting pictures and details on history, food, culture, etc., from my live/blog at:

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2511358

Like Lady M, we've mostly been Regent cruisers, so I asked this same question in a previous Lady M thread, http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2532616. about a week ago. That thread got similar responses. Despite the lack of knowledge about tour prices, we decided to book our 7/24/18 Gulf of Bothnia cruise on the Silver Spirit.

Some of our ports are so obscure that we don't even know if there ARE private tours. How does one find a private guide in Bornholm. Denmark; Borgholm, Lulea or Sundsvall, Sweden; or Turku, Vaasa or Kemi, Finland? Even trying to find such tours will be a challenge, especially if there's no active Cruise Critic roll call that we can use to find people with whom to share the costs. Any thoughts?

Hi Lady M.... I'm looking at our Travel Journal from the Grand Voyage around SA in Jan which has prices for the listed excursions. Let me know which ones you're interested in & I'll look it up, bearing in mind that they may (and probably will) change in 2018. BTW, we will be doing the GV again which may tell you something about how wonderful it was and you have chosen a very big portion of why it was so wonderful. I do see that they are skipping Ushuaia this time around & will be going directly to Stanley from Puerto Arenas. Unfortunately this year, because of scheduling by the "authorities" we did the most beautiful part, Glacier Alley, at night so let's hope next year will be during daylight. We did it on another ship years ago & it's spectacular.

All excursion prices are listed with your voyage details on MySilversea.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Port specific tours for your cruise will be available 90 days before your sailing. As others have suggested we do a mixture of self-guided, private, and ship tours. Certainly price is a consideration but we also take into consideration time and distance from the port, arrival and departure times, our familiarity with the port/area, etc. Generally we've found Silversea tours to be pretty good to excellent with actuallyonly one real clunker in probably a dozen plus tours.

• 3 weeks later...

anyone on the Oct 23 Silversea cruise have found an all day tour in Lisbon. the ship only has half day tours.

anyone interested in sharing a private tour in Lisbon

Anyone staying an extra night in Barcelona, looking for an all day tour for Nov 3

thanks

Susan

anyone on the Oct 23 Silversea cruise have found an all day tour in Lisbon. the ship only has half day tours.

anyone interested in sharing a private tour in Lisbon

Anyone staying an extra night in Barcelona, looking for an all day tour for Nov 3

thanks

Susan

Check the roll call for your cruise where you'll have better luck hooking up with passengers on your sailing. If there isn't one start one though you are very close to sailing date.

• 10 months later...

Booked a cruise on Silversea Muse from Australia to New Zealand departing January 6, 2019. Does anyone have a suggestion to find out the prices of Silversea excursions in Australia and New Zealand before 120 days before the date of departure?

This is my biggest pet peeve with Silversea. You never know the prices, and therefore cannot compare to on your own excursions until too close to the date. That means making a decision and maybe having private tours already booked up. Other cruise lines have set rates with their shore excursion providers and post prices even without a booking.

First time on Silverseas (January 2018) Chile to Buenos Aires. I can find the excursion list on the website, but no prices.
We did this itinerary last fall and it was awesome! We did a variety of ship excursions and private tours.

While prices will be available within 120 days of departure, you'll find in most ports a similar private tour will always be less. With that said, there are some ship excursions that just make sense to us, regardless of the price by a private operator. For example, during our voyage we wanted to see two different National Parks; Torres del Paine and Los Glaciares. This required 3-days and 2-nights off the ship. I wasn't about to do this adventure privately as it was worth the price to have the peace of mind if something went awry, SS would be responsible for getting us back to the ship at their cost, not mine.

All excursion prices are listed with your voyage details on MySilversea.
Within 120-days of departure.

This is my biggest pet peeve with Silversea. You never know the prices, and therefore cannot compare to on your own excursions until too close to the date. That means making a decision and maybe having private tours already booked up. Other cruise lines have set rates with their shore excursion providers and post prices even without a booking.
Seriously? 120 days is too close to compare to your own arrangements?

I've never experienced a private tour that I've booked that I couldn't cancel that far in advance. I think the longest cancellation period I ever experienced was 30-days and that was more than enough time to make a decision whether to do a SS excursion or my own.

My suggestion is to book your own private arrangements far in advance and then just cancel should you find you like the SS option better when the prices are released.

I've never experienced a private tour that I've booked that I couldn't cancel that far in advance. I think the longest cancellation period I ever experienced was 30-days and that was more than enough time to make a decision whether to do a SS excursion or my own.

My suggestion is to book your own private arrangements far in advance and then just cancel should you find you like the SS option better when the prices are released.

I book and plan over a year out for every trip! 120 is nearly there for me.

Excellent suggestion from Stumblefoot. As I have been told for some ports and areas of the world, cruise lines do not always know what excursions will and can be offered a full year ahead. Sure in many ports, it is the "same old, same old", year after year. But, for other locations and/or some more unique ports, it is not always known as far ahead.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, chenk out this posting. This posting is now at 228,524 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

For my cruise on the Silver Cloud when I go to 'My Silversea', it says shore excursions can not be booked before 90 days to sailing date. Is this (90 not 120 days) because it's an expedition cruise? There are no 'shore excursions' to book (all landings during the cruise are included) except at the ports of embarkation and dis embarkation - Ushuaia and Cape Town.

For my cruise on the Silver Cloud when I go to 'My Silversea', it says shore excursions can not be booked before 90 days to sailing date. Is this (90 not 120 days) because it's an expedition cruise? There are no 'shore excursions' to book (all landings during the cruise are included) except at the ports of embarkation and dis embarkation - Ushuaia and Cape Town.

On our Cloud expedition cruises this past Spring shore excursions were bookable in advance on the My Silversea site. They were added sporadically over a period of weeks, so check frequently. Even though they were all included in the cruise price, they were bookable. And they could fill up depending on the popularity . These were the transition cruises, from Lisbon to London to Dublin to London. I don't know if it is done differently on the Antarctic/Arctic cruises.

What happens when you book private excursions, but then due to inclement weather or other factors the ship doesn’t actually make that specific port? We’ve had this happen with excursions booked through SS and we just aren’t charged for the excursion. Are the private tour operators as accommodating?

What happens when you book private excursions, but then due to inclement weather or other factors the ship doesn’t actually make that specific port? We’ve had this happen with excursions booked through SS and we just aren’t charged for the excursion. Are the private tour operators as accommodating?

Yes. I only deal with ones recommended here or by close friends and never with one that wants the deposit or payment up front.

On our Cloud expedition cruises this past Spring shore excursions were bookable in advance on the My Silversea site. They were added sporadically over a period of weeks, so check frequently. Even though they were all included in the cruise price, they were bookable. And they could fill up depending on the popularity . These were the transition cruises, from Lisbon to London to Dublin to London. I don't know if it is done differently on the Antarctic/Arctic cruises.

Thanks. I'll check daily. I assumed (always a mistake ;)) with only 200 pax onboard, everyone got to do what was available at each 'port'.

I just had an epiphany -

Perhaps the 'Shore' button (for each 'port' listed on the My Silversea itinerary) is for booking kayaking... as opposed to 'just' going ashore on the inflatables?

SS doesn't explain anything.