Dancing on the Sojourn

ivyleaguegent

The club features a live band who play a variety of music spanning several decades. Earlier in the evening there might be a guitarist or 2/3 piece playing whilst the band do their duty in that night's show (assuming they are required).

There will be several events such as welcome aboard, meet the officers etc when the band play in the grand salon, at that time they will play more sedate music suitable for ballroom dancing.

The ships dancers will usually conduct ballroom lessons throughout the cruise. The size of the ship and nature of entertainment staff is such that they will often tailor things to you wants depending how long you are onboard.

There is also a pianist playing pre-dinner in the Observation lounge. Whilst not strictly a dance venue you could get up and have a little shuffle around :)

Henry :)

--There is no dance floor that I am aware of in the Observation Bar/Lounge &

the feel of the room might be at odds w. dancing. I have never seen anyone dance there.

--No DJ that I've witnessed.

--If you really plan on dancing frequently you might be disappointed. On our last 3 voyages there was only a guitarist pre dinner and then post dinner until close to 11pm when, as Henry notes, the band has finished the show and comes to the Club.

Generally a few couples do get up and dance and the group style dances [e.g. YMCA] lure others. The floor is modestly sized, perhaps you can find a photo or check the deck plan. I wouldn't count on going from rhumba to tango,etc if that is what you are seeking but I do know that they can do a cha cha.

--There is no dance floor that I am aware of in the Observation Bar/Lounge &

the feel of the room might be at odds w. dancing. I have never seen anyone dance there.

--No DJ that I've witnessed.

--If you really plan on dancing frequently you might be disappointed. On our last 3 voyages there was only a guitarist pre dinner and then post dinner until close to 11pm when, as Henry notes, the band has finished the show and comes to the Club.

Generally a few couples do get up and dance and the group style dances [e.g. YMCA] lure others. The floor is modestly sized, perhaps you can find a photo or check the deck plan. I wouldn't count on going from rhumba to tango,etc if that is what you are seeking but I do know that they can do a cha cha.

The guitarist is no longer here. There is a trio and they play a variety of music. It is much better for dancing and we are enjoying the change. I am glad Seabourn head office listened to our requests for a change. So no duo but we have a trio.

I agree though the dance floor is small so if there is a few people up dancing very difficult to do ballroom dancing.

No where to dance in the Observation lounge and the music the pianist plays is more pleasant background rather then dance music.

Julie

The dance floor in the club is a fraction smaller than Panaorama on Whisper as an example.

It is significantly bigger than in the Restaurant where we saw quite a few couples ballroom dancing during our last cruise LOl there was almost dance floor wars as one couple was determined and seemed to be able to command the space as they were very very good, and everyone just kind of moved aside. Another couple who were also very good decided to dance and as the partner decided to make way for the first couple, you could see the subtle action of the female to keep her territory. This seems to then signal that it was ok for everyone to dance in the way they wished and the space should be shared.

In terms of what music is played in our experience it depended on the age and wants of the people in the club.

On our 68-day Seabourn cruise there were 2 or 3 couples who were very good ballroom dancers and eager to take a spin. Unfortunately there were very few opportunities, confined to only the handful of special events in the grand salon when the orchestra (who were very, very good) played ballroom music for 10 or 15 minutes before or after the event. There was a lot of dancing on many nights in the Club, but it was always to pop/rock music. You could go to the classes held by the professional dancers on board. But in general, if you ballroom is a major activity for your cruise, you should probably look to another line.

One of the things to keep in mind when cruising smaller ships is there will be less scope for niche activities. I appreciate for some people ballroom dancing is their life, for others it doesn't feature. When you have 4,000 people on board there are always going to be 50 folks interested in a particular activity. With 400 on board it might only be 5.

It was interesting to see over Christmas on SJ the club dance floor got busy with either modern songs, 50's / 60's or contemporary classics such as Sweet Home Alabama.

The best opportunities would be during events in the grand salon, welcome aboard etc. there has been a dinner dance held in the main dining room on the last 2 cruises where a dance area was set aside and the band played. Interestingly it was largely slated on here when discussed. For my part it didn't interfere with my dinner so if it gave pleasure to others then happy days.

My suggestion in the observation lounge was more for a little smooch rather than "proper" dancing.

My suggestion in the observation lounge was more for a little smooch rather than "proper" dancing.

Henry there was indeed a couple on our Antarctica cruise that did ballrooom dance in the Obs lounge with elbows at 90 degrees

Horizontal or vertical it just goes to show you can dance on a cruise line where ever your fancy desires ;)

We were on the Christmas cruise and we were disappointed that there was very little "dance" music in any venue. There was a trio that played nightly in the club but it was "jazz" and while it was very nice for listening, it was not suitable for dancing. The only real dance music was played late at night or at special events which were infrequent.