Seabourn Visa Confusion

notjaded

Here is what happened to me:

Time 1: Called Seabourn. Agent said that I needed Qatari visa in advance.

Time 2: Seabourn sends cruise packet. Says US Citizens will be issued Qatari visa on board. No advance effort is needed.

Time 3: Called Seabourn. Agent confirmed that advance visas not required, and that they will be issued on board.

So, who is correct, Agent 1 or Agent 2 and their printed information? This is my first trip on Seabourn. What to do now?

Here is what happened to me:

Time 1: Called Seabourn. Agent said that I needed Qatari visa in advance.

Time 2: Seabourn sends cruise packet. Says US Citizens will be issued Qatari visa on board. No advance effort is needed.

Time 3: Called Seabourn. Agent confirmed that advance visas not required, and that they will be issued on board.

So, who is correct, Agent 1 or Agent 2 and their printed information? This is my first trip on Seabourn. What to do now?

I know they got this wrong in November and arranged at no cost for all passengers on board free of charge.

I know they got this wrong in November and arranged at no cost for all passengers on board free of charge.

I have called Seabourn several times about the need to get a visa in advance for Qatar. Each time I have gotten a different answer. Today, the agent told me that in fact we could get the visa on board, BUT IT TAKES 10 DAYS FOR SEABOURN TO PROCESS IT. Therefore, she told me to get on it right away when we got on the ship.

I told her we would be getting to Doha 15 hours after we boarded. She spoke to a supervisor who said that in that case, we need to get the visa BEFORE we get on the ship. I asked her why then did Seabourn send out information that we could get the visa on the ship. The agent explained that Seabourn has many sailings that go to Doha and a lot of those have the 10-day window between embarkation and arriving at Qatar. I asked her if Seabourn would send out a correction to those of us coming on board without having 10 days before visiting Doha, so we wouldn't rely on that information and be denied boarding,. The agent said she didn't think so. This is clearly going to create problems.

So, my request is that you provide a definitive answer, in writing, regarding the need and timing for obtaining an advance visa for Qatar [and Oman and Jordan as well, as now I don't know if I can trust what your telephone representatives have told me] so we will not risk being denied boarding. Accurate information regarding the need to apply in advance to consulates for visas should be disseminated to everyone on this sailing AND TO YOUR TELEPHONE REPRESENTATIVES as well, so passengers have accurate, timely information.

Thank you for attending to this matter and responding to my inquiry.

Here is what I just got in writing from Seabourn:

Thank you for your ongoing patience in this matter and for contacting us to clarify the situation. In most cases, the Qatar visa is available onboard, for a fee, but because Doha, Qatar is just one day into the cruise itinerary for the May 5th, 2016 cruise, for this particular sailing, we have to ask that our guests obtain their Qatar visa in advance. This is due to the fact that the Qatar visa takes 10 days to process, so there is not time for ship staff to organize it before the port of call in Doha. We apologize sincerely for the confusion.

A visa service may be able to assist you with obtaining this document. We recommend Visa Central.