Pearls of the China Sea getting sold out?

DUHCAR

18 Days Pearls of the China Sea and Japan. This sails on March 18, 2018 and Seabourn is telling my travel agent that there is limited availability.

Do you think this is true? Maybe because of it's unique itinerary? Or is it just Marketing?

John

18 Days Pearls of the China Sea and Japan. This sails on March 18, 2018 and Seabourn is telling my travel agent that there is limited availability.

Do you think this is true? Maybe because of it's unique itinerary? Or is it just Marketing?

John

We tried to book Jan '15 on "Route of the Vikings (ROV) in Aug/Sept '15. Sold out, so we booked ROV for 2016 and booked Norway in '15 on Quest instead.

However in June '15, after the 90 day payment deadline) I could have had my pick of Suites on R.O.V.

I believe travel co's make block bookings on Suites, then return them when they are not sold.

Have you looked at China Sea & Japan on Sojourn in 5 weeks time (March 13 HK to HK, 21 days) I only booked it 2 days ago ? :)

Given it's departing from Hong Kong, gateway to mainland China via the special economic zone of Shenzhen I wonder if Seabourn are earmarking a number of suites for Chinese consumption in an attempt to tap into a growing market. They have plenty of time before the ship sails so no pressure at the moment.

Japan is a well worn path for Chinese Tourists as is the Philippines so a safe bet in terms of the itinerary.

I imagine there are many factors which determine occupancy and with over 2 years until the sailing date SB will want to maximise their return and see if they can expand their customer base.

Henry :)

Given it's departing from Hong Kong, gateway to mainland China via the special economic zone of Shenzhen I wonder if Seabourn are earmarking a number of suites for Chinese consumption in an attempt to tap into a growing market.

Oh wow... that will give this group an entirely new thing to grouse about. Forget about complaining about having to serve ourselves with tongs from a platter on Ad Hoc night in the Colonnade or whether guests are dressed nicely enough for elegant casual. We'll instead be discussing that incessant "suck spit" noise and how children are defecating in the hallways.

Most of the lines marketing to mainland China have carved out ships marketing only to that market (including Princess, Carnival, and now NCL) and have separated them from the rest of the fleet. It would be a grave error for Seabourn to try to mix that market broadly with the current passenger base and I can't see that going over well with the Seabourn loyalists.

Have you looked at China Sea & Japan on Sojourn in 5 weeks time (March 13 HK to HK, 21 days) I only booked it 2 days ago ? :)

Thanks, but we're pretty booked up this year with Cuba in 3 weeks and then more two trips. This was more for next year and love the itinerary.

I'm one of those people that like to pick out what I want, book it and then move on. We would be staying a few days in HK first, then spend a week after in Japan as it is cherry blossom time. Scrambling after the cut-off date would lead to less than optimum pre and post cruise travel. I guess I'm trying to figure out if the gamble is worth it.

Given it's departing from Hong Kong, gateway to mainland China via the special economic zone of Shenzhen I wonder if Seabourn are earmarking a number of suites for Chinese consumption in an attempt to tap into a growing market. They have plenty of time before the ship sails so no pressure at the moment.

Japan is a well worn path for Chinese Tourists as is the Philippines so a safe bet in terms of the itinerary.

I imagine there are many factors which determine occupancy and with over 2 years until the sailing date SB will want to maximise their return and see if they can expand their customer base.

Henry :)

Um, my bad. It's 2017, not 2018. Pay in full by end of October 2016.

I don't mind a few Chinese. Toronto is full of Asians and any cruisers on Seabourn will be the 1%ers.

The equivalent cruise for March 2016 sold out very quickly (tried to book in May 2015, but no suites available). Then I discovered that there were suites that were not yet booked, but they were initially being reserved for those doing longer cruises that included the one I wanted.

I note that the one your are interested in is also part of no less than 5 longer cruises. So I think that is the explanation - only a certain number are reserved for the 18 day cruise only. Others are earmarked for longer bookings. Which means that it is well worth getting your TA to have a discussion with Seabourn to get a cabin booked up. And even if Seabourn decide to hang on a bit before releasing the suites for this segment only, I would be pretty sure that they will come available.

The equivalent cruise for March 2016 sold out very quickly (tried to book in May 2015, but no suites available). Then I discovered that there were suites that were not yet booked, but they were initially being reserved for those doing longer cruises that included the one I wanted.

I note that the one your are interested in is also part of no less than 5 longer cruises. So I think that is the explanation - only a certain number are reserved for the 18 day cruise only. Others are earmarked for longer bookings. Which means that it is well worth getting your TA to have a discussion with Seabourn to get a cabin booked up. And even if Seabourn decide to hang on a bit before releasing the suites for this segment only, I would be pretty sure that they will come available.

Thanks. I have a suite on hold until this Thursday, so just exploring options. Your explanation about being a leg in longer cruises makes sense too.

Oh wow... that will give this group an entirely new thing to grouse about. Forget about complaining about having to serve ourselves with tongs from a platter on Ad Hoc night in the Colonnade or whether guests are dressed nicely enough for elegant casual. We'll instead be discussing that incessant "suck spit" noise and how children are defecating in the hallways.

Most of the lines marketing to mainland China have carved out ships marketing only to that market (including Princess, Carnival, and now NCL) and have separated them from the rest of the fleet. It would be a grave error for Seabourn to try to mix that market broadly with the current passenger base and I can't see that going over well with the Seabourn loyalists.

Not everyone will grouse about the opportunity too meet people from other cultures.

Shall we put you down as a maybe regarding sailing with Chinese guests?

Edited by Mr Luxury

Not everyone will grouse about the opportunity too meet people from other cultures.

I've traveled in and done business in China. My trading partners there would stand by the observation.

Many travel brands are expanding into China with a recognition that the market has different social norms than ours. I don't think the Seabourn brand as you know it today would be the same with a significant mainland guest count.

Shall we put you down as a maybe regarding sailing with Chinese guests?

I have zero desire in being on a cruise marketed to a Mainland audience. That's different than asserting I wouldn't cruise with Chinese guests. There is a huge difference.. language, to start.

I have zero desire in being on a cruise marketed to a Mainland audience. That's different than asserting I wouldn't cruise with Chinese guests. There is a huge difference.. language, to start.

and of course there are the many people in here who complain about their "dining experience" being ruined by what someone on a far flung table is wearing......oh boy.....would they be in for a shock! The "dining" habits are vastly different, haven't seen too many Westerners sucking on chicken feet. Enjoy your "cultural differences wripro!

I've traveled in and done business in China. My trading partners there would stand by the observation.

Many travel brands are expanding into China with a recognition that the market has different social norms than ours. I don't think the Seabourn brand as you know it today would be the same with a significant mainland guest count.

I have lived in Hong Kong for many years and would, too, avoid mainland tourists as much as possible. However, that gross generalization on my part is targeted towards the mainland Chinese mass market. Seabourn will no doubt attract a different sub-segment of this market.

One data point: on the holiday Antarctica cruise on the SB Quest, I saw a group of 3 mainland Chinese guests and was looking forward to chatting and speaking with them. However, during the whole time, they were quiet and kept to themselves, behaved impeccably, made no fuss or demands on anyone, and seemingly enjoyed themselves.

In any case, Seabourn wouldn't be attractive to the mainland Chinese market (or Asian market in general) until they improve their Asian cuisines. Their strength is Euro-American cooking; whenever they feature "Chinese", "Japanese", "Thai" theme nights in the Colonnade, nothing has ever tasted good or authentic.

and of course there are the many people in here who complain about their "dining experience" being ruined by what someone on a far flung table is wearing......oh boy.....would they be in for a shock! The "dining" habits are vastly different, haven't seen too many Westerners sucking on chicken feet. Enjoy your "cultural differences wripro!

I'm not one of them since I care zero about what other people are wearing. So I will enjoy my "cultural differences." And I hope you enjoy your cruises with cookie cutter copies of you.