Odyssey down under

Emperor Norton

Sorry Emperor I didn't mean to upset you.

I have just had such trouble getting on the internet at times I have posted where and when I could. I will leave you alone to your opinions.

Julie

Hi - sounds like you and I still haven't been on an excursion together. I'm fine with what you're posting (not that this is my forum) as you seem to see both sides of an issue:) It's really those that I've never seen put an iota of their own time or effort into anything. They just seem to knock those that do take time out of their cruises to post - like you, or myself and some other posters. Even people that just follow along I think bring more to the party:D

I like the idea of a trip report with different posters - and you for length and tours definitely are adding that. Im just not fond of the previously mentioned as they are willing to ignore everyone other than themselves, even when they're not on the ship, so please, post on, especially when I get bandwidth again and can post images (sorry, internet has been horrific)

Emperor Norton,

I cannot speak about how resourceful the crew are around you but I, for one, am always polite to the "seggies".

How long until you disembark? Is it Sydney, Fiji or LA?

Happy sailing!

Which port are you hoping for Markham?

Just turned on my iPad and was surprised to pick up a Telstra signal with my Aussie sim notwithstanding that we are halfway the east coast of Tassy transiting from Hobart to Burnie. Excellent coverage.

Incidentally, for future reference cruise guests visiting Hobart visitors should consider a visit to MONA (museum of old and new art) . It is the main attraction for Aussies coming to Hobart from the mainland. It can be confronting, and you either love it or hate it. But it is a "must see" . For some reason MONA does not rate much of a mention on the ship even though it is a major attraction in Hobart.

Just for future cruisers to keep in mind.

Just turned on my iPad and was surprised to pick up a Telstra signal with my Aussie sim notwithstanding that we are halfway the east coast of Tassy transiting from Hobart to Burnie. Excellent coverage.

Incidentally, for future reference cruise guests visiting Hobart visitors should consider a visit to MONA (museum of old and new art) . It is the main attraction for Aussies coming to Hobart from the mainland. It can be confronting, and you either love it or hate it. But it is a "must see" . For some reason MONA does not rate much of a mention on the ship even though it is a major attraction in Hobart.

Just for future cruisers to keep in mind.

Petwin thank you for mentioning about MONA as I wish I had been able to visit. I have read about the interesting artwork as well as the interesting person who developed it.

Emperor Norton as long as you don't mind I will continue to post.

It is a gorgeous sunny day, though a bit breezy. It has been wonderful to sail past the interesting Tasmanian coastline.......a friend commented how it felt like sailing along the mediterranean. I enjoyed the fresh Tasmanian Salmon done various ways for lunch in the Colonnade. My favourite was the beetroot salmon gravlax with wasabi paste. My husband's favourite was the crispy skinned salmon fillet with vegetables.

Though I will say it did get very busy around the buffet and at one point I chose to wait awhile before attempting to get my next course.

We found a restaurant Mures near where the ship was docked. Downstairs though it had lots of seafood variety, it had a food court atmosphere. However my clever husband found there was an upstairs restaurant that had a more subdued feel. So we dined on fresh Tasmanian oysters and a seafood platter that was great. They served wine by the glass so we had a nice Tasmanian riesling. Sorry Oban but maybe it is home country prejudice but we liked these Australian Oysters better :o.

We visited Hobart a couple of months ago and also found Mures (upstairs) the pick of the restaurants in the Constitution dock area. The Drunken Admiral was also unique and lovely food.

Another post mentioned MONA. I agree it is well worth a visit, although some exhibits are not everyone's taste.

Emperor Norton,

I cannot speak about how resourceful the crew are around you but I, for one, am always polite to the "seggies".

How long until you disembark? Is it Sydney, Fiji or LA?

Happy sailing!

Much to the joy of some of the crew Sydney. At this point the crew are mostly working at what I consider a Seabourn level, but its how much through my segment? Interesting crew change in Hobart and will see it again in Melbourne.

We heard about the MONA museum on the same bus back to the ship that also cost the ability to visit the oldest brewery.

Tours so far have just reinforced the do it on your own bit. One day we spent 4 hours humping up and down hills in search of single penguin that some people at the end of the tour felt was stuffed. I'll have images of that later. This last tour was Oysters and wine tasting. While we left early (yay) we had to kill time before the oysters so we were taken to two vista points. Yay. Said vista points hadn't been cleared in years so trees blocked the best/most views. Boo. We were then taken to the Oyster farm where there was a mad dash for insufficient restrooms (only for the distaff side). Following that there was a 45 minute tour and I think 5-10 minutes allowed to eat the oysters. Not enough for some and no liquid refreshment was provided. Further our outdoor eating area was right next to the smoking bin. Blech.

After hurry up and wait for the oysters we went off to the vineyard. Seems legit. They had a hen party in progress that looks like it could have been very amusing. I regret not breaking off from the tour and hanging out with them for the duration though I would've stuck out like a sore thumb. We were seated and the owner then asked who wanted cheese. A lot of hands went up. Owner mentioned $10 AUD/plate fee. A lot of hands went down. First wine tasting I've ever been to where you had to pay for the cheese. We initially had 3 samples. After those were finished the glass that had held a pinot noir was refilled with a cab/merlot blent that mixed with the pinot tasted a lot like a Zin. Again I've never had to share glasses like that at a wine tasting, especially without offer of a rinse. Worst thing there was the woman whod smuggled food off the ship in defiance of Australian law. Wish there were some quarantine cops there to narc her out to.

Today was an odd sea day. Ronald (or was it Ronaldo) who closed out the Pride as bar manager is now on to start the new cocktail menu training. It's sounding like itll start and Sydney but the new menu might not be seen till the following segment - depending. Also new on is Annabelle (Sp?) trivia was a little different and she seemed more in tune than Sophie.

Again having the corporate wine buyer on board has been very fruitful. I find all of the wines hes offered or brought on are superior or equal to anything thats been on in the last few years on the inclusive list.

It should be interesting to see the menus post dry doc with the new cocktails and expanded Keller menus.

Sorry your Hobart tour was a bust. Just reinforces why we either wander on our own or take a prearranged private tour. Hope you have more fun at your next port of cal..

The bar manager's name is Roland -- he is a delightful and talented fellow. I am quite happy to hear he is still with Seabourn. I am not a big fan of cocktails so I must admit this new program is no of great interest to me.

After hurry up and wait for the oysters we went off to the vineyard. Seems legit. ..... We were seated and the owner then asked who wanted cheese. A lot of hands went up. Owner mentioned $10 AUD/plate fee. A lot of hands went down. First wine tasting I've ever been to where you had to pay for the cheese. We initially had 3 samples. After those were finished the glass that had held a pinot noir was refilled with a cab/merlot blent that mixed with the pinot tasted a lot like a Zin.

Many wineries do not serve cheese here. Any food is at additional cost. This is because there is often NOT a charge to taste the wine at all. The reuse of glasses is also the norm, often there is a water jug on the bar which you can use for rinsing into the spittoon.

Do you mind me asking which winery you went to?

Frankly I don't ever remember cheese in the tasting room of any winery -- in the US or France. Cracker yes -- cheese no.

Ditto in the UK- people used to have 'cheese and wine' parties at home, but even those became old hat several years ago. Just dry crackers at a professional tasting.

Emperor Norton, it sounds as if you yourself may well be happy to disembark- you don't seem to have enjoyed your cruise much . Will you be doing a full report when you get home?

Here is the Port of Melbourne link for the Station Pier webcam:-

http://www.portofmelbourne.com.au/community-and-recreation/view-the-port/webcams

It's 20c and overcast in Melbourne at 0920 but the clouds should clear soon and it will be sunny and a max around 26c (80f) :)

The water temp in Port Phillip is currently 22c and was lovely and clear down the bay at Brighton for my swim this am :)

I hope all the Odyssey pax and crew have a lovely day in my home town:)

Frankly I don't ever remember cheese in the tasting room of any winery -- in the US or France. Cracker yes -- cheese no.

In CA, where we have been to several hundred different wineries over the years, cheese is not usually offered, though I wish it would be. Most wineries do not even offer crackers or breadsticks or dry bread. However, some offer free chocolate bites, or cheese, or sausage, for purchase for an extra fee. This was also the case at a couple wineries we went to in New Zealand last year.

There is a small number of wineries, and there is a growing trend, in California, that offers "wine and food pairings" tastings, either wine and cheese or wine and little tapas bites for each wine (for a fee).

I find it hard to taste too much without some food accompanying the tastings, and the wines taste so much better with appropriate foods, so those wineries have become my favorites and we are longtime club members at several of them, e.g., Mayo Family Wineries and St. Francis (lured in initially because of the pairings, stayed because of the very good, price-worthy wines).

What is more surprising is that a $10 fee for cheese to accompany wine would have deterred luxury SB pax (I would have jumped on the opportunity to get some food bites with my wines, to enhance my pleasure -- even if I might have just shared a plate with DH, if I was not too hungry).

Yes, jenidallas I agree it would be helpful to know what was promised. And Catlover if am just visiting a few wineries tasting rooms I am ok with just the crackers. But I do prefer a true wine tasting with food paired to the wines being tasted. It is not only more fun but as you noted gives you a much better sense of the wine as its character can be quite different depending on whether it is being drunk on its own or with complimentary food.

The key word is "complimentary." Why should wineries give out free food? Perhaps a better solution would be food available for purchase for those simply must eat with their wine.

No reason for wineries to give out free food - although most offer dry crackers or similar - but in this case it depends on whether the Seabourn excursion said that there would be included cheese or whatever. My guess is it did not, but the winery were being a bit crafty if they asked who would like some before mentioning the charge!

No reason for wineries to give out free food - although most offer dry crackers or similar - but in this case it depends on whether the Seabourn excursion said that there would be included cheese or whatever. My guess is it did not, but the winery were being a bit crafty if they asked who would like some before mentioning the charge!

I agree. And crafty is a kind word to describe that policy.

Parts of the trip turned around when some of the imo less than stellar staff disembarked and some quality staff with little ship experience embarked. Aside from tours had the staff that finished the cruise been the starting staff I think things would have been much better.

Post dry dock R2 the ships should be able to serve Ad Hoc fried chicken. Rumor has it the indoor smoking policy may be changing due to the mixology program (which itself is being run by the man who set up Per Ses program for Thomas Keller.) in other rumor land Seabourn is looking for a replacement for the NF champagne. Staff are currently onboard going through the training but then some of them are headed over to Sojourn. It sounds very interesting and will also see a shifting of some of the liquors off the premium list to free-pour. Your wait time for a drink will go up but for most that shouldn't be an issue. The sweet and sour mix will be 86d and the ship will be making its own tonic water. mixers will be as freshly made as possible and fruit juice will be fresh squeezed for the drinks.

Shopping with the chef: I don't know if this will be the future MO but when you board go to the square and sign up. None of the 3 potential tours were ever made public. The first tour was afaik made known to those who had been on the previous tour on the previous segment. The second tour was only known because I asked after seeing the returning first tour. The third tour was only offered to those on the second tour.

Overall this was I think my most hit and miss cruise staff wise. Food wise it was probably the most consistent (not perfect, but very consistent. Kellers full dinners in the Colonnade were the most inconsistent followed by some menu descriptions in the restaurant that weren't quite accurate). There was a visiting guest chef who did a special Indian meal in the Colonnade one night. That was probably the best Indian food I've had on Seabourn and something I would have liked to have experienced again.

At this time it sounds like the bar manager for the Encore will be Richard Meier and he will be hand picking his bartenders.

There was however a massive rodent problem on board.

DSC_6340-L.jpg

Oh dear -- you did have real too rodent problem. Hope he was not hogging all of the champagne!

And speaking of o the bubbly stuff I have my fingers (and toers) crossed they bring back the Monopole or something else equally dry.