Dress Code

gkgk123ca

If you want to wear jeans in the evening your other choices are eat in Restaurant2 or cruise another ship. Seabourn is not stuffy but please allow one of the last vestiges of the dress code to remain. I was very happy to see Seabourn specifically state "no jeans in the restuarant' on our last cruise.

• Like 2

Thank you for your honest replies. It seems i may have stumbled upon a sensitive issue for some given the responses received.

I only asked because i have been to many of the finest restaurants around the world and very few still enforce a no jeans policy.

Just because many of the 'finest restaurants' do not enforce a no jeans policy, doesn't mean it's the best thing to do. Yes, I view it as slumming and perhaps thumbing one's nose at others. I admit it may also be an age-related thing, too. I usually question a person's estimation of a 'finest restaurant'. But that's just me.

• Like 1

My husband and I got off a 12 day Asia cruise in January. We are in our early 50's. Yes, there are many places my husband might dress up in dark jeans with a sport coat but not at night anywhere on a Seabourn cruise. We did not see any jeans in the evening even amongst a handful of people who were 20 to 30 years younger. That does not mean the ship is stuffy but felt elegant. In the southern US, I would call most evening wear, resort elegant.I do believe you would really stick out in jeans and you would look inappropriately dressed. I am not sure if you would be turned around and asked to change though.

• Like 2

Although the Captain might ask you to get back to the engine room.:)

Au contraire, mon ami. If he worked in the engine room, he would be in one of the nifty Seabourn jumpsuits. Much preferred in the MDR.

While agree that there certainly are some very nice looking jeans I think it becomes a matter of a slippery slope -- where does nice leave off and grubby begin? It becomes a judgement call. Thus I do think it is better just to say no jeans. I live in jeans much of the year here in cactus country so we very much look forward to dressing up on Seabourn -- and with the exception of my white jeans we have never worn jeans at any time on all of our Seabourn criises. Regarding nice restaurants and jean, we were in Lucas Carton in Paris a while back( dressed to the nines) having a lovely dinner until a gentleman came and sat at the table next to us in jeans and a sport coat. Sailor Boy was so upset I think it ruined his dinner. I tried to explain that many good restaurants were hurting for business and willing to let in almost anyone with the money to dine there.Still it was very disappointing. So, nothing against jeans -- just save them for home.

• Like 1

I have worn jeans on Seabourn during the day and never felt out of place; on some shore excursions, in fact, jeans are the best choice. That said, I wouldn't wear jeans at any venue during the evening. Slacks or a sun dress work best even on casual nights. After all, part of the fun is dressing up!

• Like 1

I have worn jeans on Seabourn during the day and never felt out of place; on some shore excursions, in fact, jeans are the best choice. That said, I wouldn't wear jeans at any venue during the evening. Slacks or a sun dress work best even on casual nights. After all, part of the fun is dressing up!

Hear hear. I often wear black, white or indigo jeans during the day, as do many others, but never after 6 p.m. Slightly smarter cotton trousers are fine for casual evenings, but please not denim on Seabourn.

• Like 1

Hear hear. I often wear black, white or indigo jeans during the day, as do many others, but never after 6 p.m. Slightly smarter cotton trousers are fine for casual evenings, but please not denim on Seabourn.

Sorry - I should have said no denim please in the indoor public rooms in the evenings.

This thread really needs to get with the times. I think a nice pair of haute couture jeans (which can be found in many fine stores on Madison Ave.) with strategically placed tears and holes combined with a white tuxedo jacket and white Dior sneakers could place Seabourn guests in the avant-garde of jet-set fashion when it comes to formal night :D:D

• Haha 1

Sorry Roxburgh but I agree with Lincslady. If you want to wear denim at night (no matter how fashionable it is perceived) then perhaps you should stick with the poolside grill.

Would wearing a formal shirt under the tuxedo jacket help? :D:D:D

Edited by Roxburgh

Would wearing a formal shirt under the tuxedo jacket help? :D:D:D

II haven't sailed on Seabourn yet, but imagine that it would all depend on which baseball cap is worn with the ensemble, and whether the bill faced forward or backwards.

II haven't sailed on Seabourn yet, but imagine that it would all depend on which baseball cap is worn with the ensemble, and whether the bill faced forward or backwards.

Do try the recommendations by Roxburgh and ibnoland, won2go, and see the reactions!! ;);) Could possibly pass the Maitre'd (though I doubt it) but the reactions of your fellow passengers would be something to behold.

Do try the recommendations by Roxburgh and ibnoland, won2go, and see the reactions!! ;);) Could possibly pass the Maitre'd (though I doubt it) but the reactions of your fellow passengers would be something to behold.[/quote

Sorry, I should have addressed this to gkgk123ca.

Trust me I have seen exactly what Roxburgh mentioned. Two years ago on our Baltic cruise I had the unfortunate pleasure of dining with a "gentleman" and his lady friend who thought they were so rich and their strategically "torn and worn" jeans were so expensive that they wore them in the Restaurant to dinner one evening on a night when they had invited ourselves and the two other couples traveling with us to join them for a special dinner they had the chef prepare. Needless to say we were mortified.Don't remember if there were ball caps( sideways or backwards) but I do remember she was wearing a hoodie. :rolleyes: