Seabourn Encore - design faux pas?

Able Seaman H

Very much looking forward to the maiden voyage aboard Encore but can't help thinking the designers have dropped a bit of a changer on deck 9, the pool deck.

I presume in an effort to link all the galleys together the patio grill has been moved from the forward to the aft end of the pool deck. This means it goes from windward to leeward and no longer gets protection from the ships superstructure. The wind will blow straight into the grill.

Given ships generally move forwards when underway this means heading into any breeze magnifies it's effect.

You will also loose the overhang benefit of the Sky bar and lounging area on deck 10 (deck 9 on current ships) useful for inclement weather and as a mounting point for infra red heaters.

I'll bet you a virgin Piña Colada they end up re-arranging all the tables along the port side under deck 10 and carry them through under the sky bar as per current layout otherwise be prepared for some windy dining....

Henry :)

This is a non issue. Remember there is a deck above the pool grill along with the decks in front of the pool to shield the airflow. Also there are other luxury lines (I.e. Regent) with aft positioned pool grills that operate without an issue.

We shall see in 9 months time....

Although there is a deck above the pool deck there isn't an overhang aft in the same way there is under the sky bar to help with rain and shade. Using the port side will help with rain to a degree providing the wind isn't blowing from the side but sun might still be a problem when not directly overhead.

Keep in mind there are more people to accommodate as well. As it is we sometimes have to carry our food up one deck and use the protected tables port side by the Sky Bar. There are none aft just doors into the Spa area.

I understand why the decision has been taken, it links the galley to that of the Colonnade, I just think it will cause issues for deck staff.

Where are you embarking Henry?

Hi there Cliff.

Sorry, I missed your post. As John says we will be getting on for the maiden voyage (which apparently it isn't) and then staying on through to Singapore. Really looking forward to getting our feet under the table and settling in. No rush to do everything in 2 weeks.

I suspect my videos will focus back onto the ship having swung round and featured the ports of call more of late.

I'm sure they could squeeze you in somewhere..... I'm hoping to see a few familiar faces particularly over Christmas.

We will have fun and that's the main thing.

We will embark in Dubai. For what it is worth, I checked the aft end of the pool on deck 8 (Odyssey) yesterday at lunch as we sailed adjacent to typhoon Victor, and there was not any more noticeable breeze there than at the Grill tables. The side wind shields and bulk of the forward bulk of ship do a good job of shielding the entire deck from the wind. Not sure how that will relate to the Encore.

Cliff

We will embark in Dubai. For what it is worth, I checked the aft end of the pool on deck 8 (Odyssey) yesterday at lunch as we sailed adjacent to typhoon Victor, and there was not any more noticeable breeze there than at the Grill tables. The side wind shields and bulk of the forward bulk of ship do a good job of shielding the entire deck from the wind. Not sure how that will relate to the Encore.

Cliff

Great news. Emily is coming aboard to join us at Dubai as well. She has to finish school first. First ever flight on her own so fingers crossed !

Great news. Emily is coming aboard to join us at Dubai as well. She has to finish school first. First ever flight on her own so fingers crossed !

No doubt she will hit the duty free and then enjoy the wines and champagne on-board.

But seriously, my daughter was at school in Switzerland and flying to New York on her own for the holidays from age 13. Main thing is that she knows how to navigate the departure terminal and get to the right gate on-time. Arrival is usually self-evident and you just follow the crowd.

The youngsters are generally much more confident and self-reliant than their often over-anxious and neurotic parents give them credit for.

Spot on Cliff,I'll make sure they don't trash the ship before you get on.

Very excited to hear you and Mrs L will be on for this sailing. Please keep Henry under control and don't drink all the good wine and champagne before we get on. :)

Cliff and I will meet up again later and work out some ideas to celebrate our get together in Dubai.

Julie

Thanks Julie,

I hope all is well with you and Keith and that the food is good onboard.

Have you had much of the TK offerings?

We are having a wonderful cruise........though we have decided we are not into lots of sea days. We like getting off and exploring ports more, though a few sea days in a row is okay. We had to miss Cook Islands due to a hurricane so we are on another six day stretch of sea days after having eight at the start of our voyage. The crew have been wonderful though and some familiar faces.

We have done two menus in the Colonnade and enjoyed both. We sat outside both times and it was very special eating great food and hearing the sounds of the sea. Last night because only ourselves and another couple outside we asked for the music to be turned off out there and it made it more special. Especially as the moon shining on the ocean was very bright.

We have tried various items in the MDR and for us some worked better then others. But, I have to say it is all personal taste, as some items that we weren't so keen on when we spoke to other friends later they really enjoyed those items.

I have just sent Mrs L an email. If it takes a while for me to get back for replies it is because I am still finding the internet to be spotty. Though I have just discovered it seems to be working better for me if I use my laptop on the balcony rather then inside the room.

Julie

I have the same problem with our cabin on deck 2. There is an internet shadow directly under the prop shaft. If I move closer to the steam boilers it seems to pick up :)

Henry

I have asked for you to be moved to lifeboat nine as your snoring was upsetting the crew on deck two.