Just off Brilliance, short summary. Questions??

Just off the Brilliance yesterday morning.

Great cruise with 3 wonderful cruise girlfriends.

Summary:

Stayed precruise in Tampa at the Sailport Waterfront. Loved the hotel and got a great rate on a 2 BR condo for all 4 of us. Also allowed us to come back and use the pool and facilities post cruise, before our late flights home. Highly recommend this hotel.

Great sailaway despite rain in the afternoon and sailing out into a storm. Captain Stig got us going very quickly and despite the heavy rain for a little while, the sailing was very smooth and we were out of the bad weather within a couple hours.

MTD, despite a few problems with trying to get reservations when we wanted them, it ended very smoothly. My suggestion is to forego even trying to do reservations ahead of time and just standing in line every night. I normally don't like this but it worked the best for us.

Dress code: While what others are wearing don't impact my cruise vacation. Royal may as well just throw away the dress code. There is no enforcing of anything, not even on formal night. We ended up having a table near the entrance all but two nights. WOW is all I can say. Again, it doesn't effect my cruise experience at all. But how can people be so care free on how they look. Seriously we saw everything (even on formal night) Shorts were about at 50% on non formal night. Tshirts and ball caps were not rare. Men in flip flops all the time. Jeans have now become "dressy" in comparison to everything else we saw. However, the lady with the jeans on with more holes than jeans was quite the site. We also actually saw a lady that had what looked like house slippers on one night. Just sad that people no longer take any pride in how they look.

Ports:

Grand Caymen, went to the Royal Palms resort. Have been there before and very nice beach. However very crowded with several ships in port. Would still go back, but don't go there if you are going because of the free wifi that is advertised. Been there twice and both times the internet is almost non existent.

Cozumel: Once again we went to Paradise Beach and loved it. Beautiful pool and didn't get busy till later in the day and still not overly crowded. Take note that the cab drivers will try to convince you to go somewhere else. Don't listen. For the $3 entrance fee and the requirement to spend just $10, it is an awesome pool and great day. We don't drink alot so for us it was the way to go instead of the several "all inclusive" resorts.

Getting on the ship: AWESOME. We had a rental car that had to be returned at 9AM. Please consider Budget/Avis if in Tampa. We got a great rate for a 24 hour rental. Picked up at the airport and returned to the Embassy suites hotel downtown. The owner of this location personally drove the rental car and dropped us off at the port. Will rent from them and return to him again. He was a great guy. Sorry, I wish I remembered his name.

We got to the pier about 9:30. Went upstairs and filled out the health forms. Watched the staff set up and even have a meeting before opening the stations. Checked in very quickly and had a seat in the Diamond lounge (thanks to two diamond friends with us) We were first in line when they opened and would have been the very first on the ship, had we not stopped for photos. Instead we walked onboard and heard our first "ding" at 10:37!! The earliest we have ever been on a ship.

Getting off the ship was almost as easy: Out of the room at 8. Down to the dining room for breakfast, where we had a very leisurely (maybe a little slow) but we weren't' going anywhere. Finished after our time of 9:10, so we just took the elevator down and walked right off. Took just a few minutes to find our bags and had to wait only 2-3 people in line for customs. Off in a taxi and back to Sailport as easy as can be.

Entertainment was great as far as we were concerned.

Have the compass if anyone has any questions.

Will answer anything else if I can.

Second time out of Tampa and would highly recommend. Sailing under the sunshine bridge is awesome!!

Glad you had fun. Thanks for the report. I was on Brilliance in early March and loved it. Agreed on the dining room. I was very surprised by how casual it was. With the women, however, I found that many really did care how they looked, but they didn't have much on! :eek: But it was Spring Break, so there were a lot of college kids, so their idea of "formal" wear is a little different than mine. :)

Summary:

Stayed precruise in Tampa at the Sailport Waterfront. Loved the hotel and got a great rate on a 2 BR condo for all 4 of us. Also allowed us to come back and use the pool and facilities post cruise, before our late flights home. Highly recommend this hotel.

Great sailaway despite rain in the afternoon and sailing out into a storm. Captain Stig got us going very quickly and despite the heavy rain for a little while, the sailing was very smooth and we were out of the bad weather within a couple hours.

MTD, despite a few problems with trying to get reservations when we wanted them, it ended very smoothly. My suggestion is to forego even trying to do reservations ahead of time and just standing in line every night. I normally don't like this but it worked the best for us.

Dress code: While what others are wearing don't impact my cruise vacation. Royal may as well just throw away the dress code. There is no enforcing of anything, not even on formal night. We ended up having a table near the entrance all but two nights. WOW is all I can say. Again, it doesn't effect my cruise experience at all. But how can people be so care free on how they look. Seriously we saw everything (even on formal night) Shorts were about at 50% on non formal night. Tshirts and ball caps were not rare. Men in flip flops all the time. Jeans have now become "dressy" in comparison to everything else we saw. However, the lady with the jeans on with more holes than jeans was quite the site. We also actually saw a lady that had what looked like house slippers on one night. Just sad that people no longer take any pride in how they look.

Ports:

Grand Caymen, went to the Royal Palms resort. Have been there before and very nice beach. However very crowded with several ships in port. Would still go back, but don't go there if you are going because of the free wifi that is advertised. Been there twice and both times the internet is almost non existent.

Cozumel: Once again we went to Paradise Beach and loved it. Beautiful pool and didn't get busy till later in the day and still not overly crowded. Take note that the cab drivers will try to convince you to go somewhere else. Don't listen. For the $3 entrance fee and the requirement to spend just $10, it is an awesome pool and great day. We don't drink alot so for us it was the way to go instead of the several "all inclusive" resorts.

Getting on the ship: AWESOME. We had a rental car that had to be returned at 9AM. Please consider Budget/Avis if in Tampa. We got a great rate for a 24 hour rental. Picked up at the airport and returned to the Embassy suites hotel downtown. The owner of this location personally drove the rental car and dropped us off at the port. Will rent from them and return to him again. He was a great guy. Sorry, I wish I remembered his name.

We got to the pier about 9:30. Went upstairs and filled out the health forms. Watched the staff set up and even have a meeting before opening the stations. Checked in very quickly and had a seat in the Diamond lounge (thanks to two diamond friends with us) We were first in line when they opened and would have been the very first on the ship, had we not stopped for photos. Instead we walked onboard and heard our first "ding" at 10:37!! The earliest we have ever been on a ship.

Getting off the ship was almost as easy: Out of the room at 8. Down to the dining room for breakfast, where we had a very leisurely (maybe a little slow) but we weren't' going anywhere. Finished after our time of 9:10, so we just took the elevator down and walked right off. Took just a few minutes to find our bags and had to wait only 2-3 people in line for customs. Off in a taxi and back to Sailport as easy as can be.

Second time out of Tampa and would highly recommend. Sailing under the sunshine bridge is awesome!!

Thanks for your review. Glad you had a good time and enjoyed the ship. What night was formal night? Would it be possible to obtain copies of your compass?

Summary:

Ports:

I was on the same cruise and really enjoyed it! I definitely noticed that this cruise was more casual and wonder if it just the way it is on Caribbean cruises now - or the fact that it was a 5 day sailing and most passengers consider it more casual?

I went to Nachi in Cozumel and was a little disappointed. It wasn't as relaxing as I hoped and some of the staff had invited family members with small children in for several hours. They stayed in the pool and made it difficult for the rest of us to get in and out. The food was okay but not great and the service was very slow - probably because we were two ladies and the waiter thought we wouldn't tip as well? Overall it was a nice day but I think I will try Paradise Beach if I sail to Cozumel again so thanks for posting about it.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise too :D

I do have a couple negative comments to add:

Rita Cantina's: Decided to try here the one night for dinner instead of the dining room. Wanted to do something a little quicker and one of the girls had ate there on another ship and had a positive experience. Not the case on the Brilliance. We sit down and and wait 10-15 min for someone to even come to our table. The bar area was busy, so we assumed they were top priority (due to tips) They finally come take our order. We each order an item off the menu, they are more appetizers than full meals. We also try to order drinks. Drink special is buy one margarita, get one half price. Well, they are out of margarita mix..........WHAT, how do you run out of mix on the second day. And if so, then you should sub something as as the special.

So, I order a pina colada. It was good, but not worth the $14+ I paid for it.

Then comes the food. Remember, there are four of us at the table sharing everything. The waiter sits the food down. One friend says "can we have silverware" So he returns to the kitchen and comes back with ONE set of silverware. I comment, "can I have some also??? So he returns to the kitchen, and yep, returns with one more set of silverware.

At this point my other friend just gets up, walks into the windjammer and gets us two more silverware and brings us plates, which we had not received either.

Food was OK, and would recommend it as maybe a snack or lunch. But not really a dinner. The following night at dinner our waiter asked us where we were the night before. After telling him our disappointing story, he sent the head waiter over who wanted to know all about it to fill out a report. Hopefully this will be addressed. It will also go on my post cruise survey.

The other disappointing thing on the ship was the lack of using the outside big screen. Does this change from one ship to another??? We did not sit around the big screen on the first sea day, so I cannot comment there. But on the last sea day. I was in the pool when the time came for the sexiest man contest. It was very hot and I thought i had the perfect seat. Was just going to stay in the pool and watch things on the big screen like I have done on other ships. WRONG. They did not film and show it live like on other ships??? Is this not the norm? It was held down at the end of the pool deck where the band sets up. And a couple hundred people were gathered around making it impossible to see unless in the front row or if standing at the railing on deck 12 above. Not a big deal to me, but just surprised they didn't use the big screen so all could see.

Also, NO outdoor movies were ever played on the big screen. The Brilliance has a cinema, but I'm from Ohio and on vacation to get sun and warmth. Last thing I want to do is go sit in a cold movie theater during a sunny day. Other ships we have had movies on the big screen during the day and also in the evenings. What a joy to sit outside and enjoy a movie. Not on this cruise.

Again, these things didn't ruin my cruise. Just things to bring to others attention.

waterbugohio, thanks for all the info and attempting to send the compasses. Does your scanner software have the ability to save your scans as pdf's instead of jpg's?

ridgerunner51

Yes, I can save them as PDF's

But once I get that done, is it different to post a pdf than a picture?? Right now I am clicking on the picture icon above where I type. It opens a box to copy the picture url. How do I do it with a pdf???

Won't have time to do this afternoon. Will have to wait till later tonight or tomorrow morning. But if you tell me how to do it, I will try

I am going to try uploading a PDF. If you look at the bottom of your screen, when you are writing a reply, you will see:

"Attach Files

Valid file extensions: bmp doc docx gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt xls

Manage Attachments"

Click "Management Attachments"

From there, another screen will open that will allow you to pick a pdf file from your computer. Note the size restrictions for different file types.

Then click "upload" and you will see the attachment at the bottom of the screen where you are writing your reply.

I hope this works.

I am going to try uploading a PDF. If you look at the bottom of your screen, when you are writing a reply, you will see:

"Attach Files

Valid file extensions: bmp doc docx gif jpe jpeg jpg pdf png psd txt xls

Manage Attachments"

Click "Management Attachments"

From there, another screen will open that will allow you to pick a pdf file from your computer. Note the size restrictions for different file types.

Then click "upload" and you will see the attachment at the bottom of the screen where you are writing your reply.

I hope this works.

I am going to try this again. This time I will click "close this window" after uploading the file, and I will click "Submit Reply" below the "Attach Files" box.

Test PDF.pdf

I was on the same cruise too. Wrote a brief review...but, can't find it now...thought I put it under RCI forum.

Anyways, I also thought the dress was VERY casual...especially on formal night or just in the MDR in general. Maybe it was because it was a shorter cruise??...I've only have done 7 or 10 nights in past. On past cruises it seemed there was a sea of long, glittery dresses on formal night (Celebrity line of ships) Not so, on this cruise. Did I even see a long dress?

I was on the same cruise and really enjoyed it! I definitely noticed that this cruise was more casual and wonder if it just the way it is on Caribbean cruises now - or the fact that it was a 5 day sailing and most passengers consider it more casual?

I went to Nachi in Cozumel and was a little disappointed. It wasn't as relaxing as I hoped and some of the staff had invited family members with small children in for several hours. They stayed in the pool and made it difficult for the rest of us to get in and out. The food was okay but not great and the service was very slow - probably because we were two ladies and the waiter thought we wouldn't tip as well? Overall it was a nice day but I think I will try Paradise Beach if I sail to Cozumel again so thanks for posting about it.

Glad you enjoyed your cruise too :D

We were at Nacho too that same day. And I agree...some what disappointed. They put us far away from the main area. Made it hard for my 80 year old mom to get back and forth. Wish I would of requested closer seats. Service was super slow. Our main waiter wasn't too friendly at first, but, warmed up as day went by. That said, I'd probably go back because I would know what to ask for. We did enjoy the pool when it emptied out & I had a FABULOUS message. :)

I do have a couple negative comments to add:

Rita Cantina's: Decided to try here the one night for dinner instead of the dining room. Wanted to do something a little quicker and one of the girls had ate there on another ship and had a positive experience. Not the case on the Brilliance. We sit down and and wait 10-15 min for someone to even come to our table. The bar area was busy, so we assumed they were top priority (due to tips) They finally come take our order. We each order an item off the menu, they are more appetizers than full meals. We also try to order drinks. Drink special is buy one margarita, get one half price. Well, they are out of margarita mix..........WHAT, how do you run out of mix on the second day. And if so, then you should sub something as as the special.

So, I order a pina colada. It was good, but not worth the $14+ I paid for it.

Then comes the food. Remember, there are four of us at the table sharing everything. The waiter sits the food down. One friend says "can we have silverware" So he returns to the kitchen and comes back with ONE set of silverware. I comment, "can I have some also??? So he returns to the kitchen, and yep, returns with one more set of silverware.

At this point my other friend just gets up, walks into the windjammer and gets us two more silverware and brings us plates, which we had not received either.

Food was OK, and would recommend it as maybe a snack or lunch. But not really a dinner. The following night at dinner our waiter asked us where we were the night before. After telling him our disappointing story, he sent the head waiter over who wanted to know all about it to fill out a report. Hopefully this will be addressed. It will also go on my post cruise survey.

The other disappointing thing on the ship was the lack of using the outside big screen. Does this change from one ship to another??? We did not sit around the big screen on the first sea day, so I cannot comment there. But on the last sea day. I was in the pool when the time came for the sexiest man contest. It was very hot and I thought i had the perfect seat. Was just going to stay in the pool and watch things on the big screen like I have done on other ships. WRONG. They did not film and show it live like on other ships??? Is this not the norm? It was held down at the end of the pool deck where the band sets up. And a couple hundred people were gathered around making it impossible to see unless in the front row or if standing at the railing on deck 12 above. Not a big deal to me, but just surprised they didn't use the big screen so all could see.

Also, NO outdoor movies were ever played on the big screen. The Brilliance has a cinema, but I'm from Ohio and on vacation to get sun and warmth. Last thing I want to do is go sit in a cold movie theater during a sunny day. Other ships we have had movies on the big screen during the day and also in the evenings. What a joy to sit outside and enjoy a movie. Not on this cruise.

Again, these things didn't ruin my cruise. Just things to bring to others attention.

Just off Brilliance also. Was disappointed with the menu in main dining room, it almost seems that we would get a better meal in one of the "Specialty" restaurants. Maybe that is their hope considering it is an additional expense. Everything else was perfect! Best gem on board is the Park Café inside the solarium. Enjoyed the King and Country Pub for drink/entertainment great staff working there. Also, had a family ocean view for three persons, large room with separate sleeping area for third guest. The room is laid out perfectly with a separate sitting area that I like to call the "parlor". I have never been a fan of the balcony rooms but have found my favorite in the family ocean view, usually only available for five persons. Would recommend for anyone looking for a bigger room with two very large windows. Sorry, do not have any pictures, left the phone at home. I was able to scoop this room about three months before ship sailed, it was released into the general inventory. Loved Clo - our cruise director. Although she didn't seem to be very visible during sailing her staff; especially Moe, does a great job! Moe has been on my last three cruises, Vision 11/14, Majesty 11/13 and Brilliance. He has continued to display a positive energetic attitude every time! When he states that he really loves his job he is speaking the truth.

• 1 month later...

A group of us ladies are going on Brilliance in about 110 days. My questions may be silly, repetitive or whatever but I am too excited to think!!!

I've been on the Allure and I know that ship is bigger.

We will have a cabin with a window and 2 inside cabins. All twin beds.

How are the showers? I've heard to go down to the workout showers as they are larger.

Is there conditioner or just shampoo?

If I get a drink package, how hard is it to get soda refills? I've heard no coke freestyle machines here?

I love your review, those help so much.

I think shorter cruises simply have a different crowd than the 7+ nighters. People really just want a getaway and aren't thinking about formalities.

I remember last December when we were on Brilliance that Elf was playing and NO ONE was there watching! My LO was in babysitting, but we didn't have time to get our swim clothes on to go sit and watch. I was surprised that no one seemed to take advantage of it.

• 3 weeks later...

My husband and I love the Radiance class ships. We have been on the Jewel twice, before any changes, and the Radiance after the changes. We missed the Seaview Cafe, and did not think the new movie screen added much. The also made the large card room into a restaurant with a fee, and the card room was overlooking the Centrum, I noticed is was often full. The Viking Crown Lounge was also smaller so they could have the Diamond Lounge.

We will be on the Brilliance in September and I understand on the Brilliance they made even more changes. They took away the Seaview Cafe, but added the Park Cafe, but in the centrum I understand they put cabins instead of the library, and the explorers lounge. The Crown and Anchor lounge, was removed for an ariel show. There was a small sitting over looking the Centrum that is also gone. I understand they put the Crown and Anchor lounge/place to book cruises in the Schooner Bar. But where is the library, and card room ? I always visit the library looking for daily trivia, and to take out books and magazines. Does the ship feel more crowded, with the extra passengers, and less public areas ?

• 2 months later...

We will be staying in one of those cabins where the library used to be in less than a week. It's supposed to have floor-to-ceiling windows.

The library on this class of ship has been greatly reduced. It's now a cabinet that holds a much smaller number of books. I think the puzzles and such are nearby. I can understand this. Many people travel with their e-readers now, and don't need to borrow books.

Summary:

Ports:

I'm planning a cruise on Brilliance with my son and daughter-in-law. They love salsa dancing. As there's no Bolero's on Brilliance, do you know whether there was any salsa dancing in other venues?