Diamond plus benefits & child turning 18 years

bearone

Hi, I have a question re my son who turns 18 years just two days into our cruise(Australian Coastal/New Zealand cruise). I am diamond plus status, so will he be entitled to the usual perks such as free photo, two for one chops cover charge, gift preferences etc. I can't find reference to this anywhere. Thanks in advance!

Hi, I have a question re my son who turns 18 years just two days into our cruise(Australian Coastal/New Zealand cruise). I am diamond plus status, so will he be entitled to the usual perks such as free photo, two for one chops cover charge, gift preferences etc. I can't find reference to this anywhere. Thanks in advance!

From the RCI website: "A guest's age is established upon the first date of sailing".

The highest level he can be at 18 is Diamond. He must earn Diamond Plus on his own even if he lives at the same address as you do.

Edited by cruisenfever

The highest level he can be at 18 is Diamond. He must earn Diamond Plus on his own even if he lives at the same address as you do.

Is this a change? According to this page, the "Same member status as the parent after your child's first completed cruise" does say that Diamond Plus is included.

Is this a change? According to this page, the "Same member status as the parent after your child's first completed cruise" does say that Diamond Plus is included.

You are correct, a child can earn D+ when linked with parents.

However, in the case of the OP, I cannot tell from the post if the child has cruised before, and is therefore linked with the parents. If the child is linked, then they should retain D+ status after they turn 18.

Edited by clarea

Then the son should be D+ if he is linked.

He would be D+ for the cruise the OP is referencing because he will still be 17 at the time of boarding.

Am I right in understanding that when he turns 18, even if he still lives at home, he will remain at Diamond Level and will have to earn D+ on his own?

He would be D+ for the cruise the OP is referencing because he will still be 17 at the time of boarding.

Am I right in understanding that when he turns 18, even if he still lives at home, he will remain at Diamond Level and will have to earn D+ on his own?

My understanding is that if he is linked, he should retain whatever level his parents have (up to D+) on the day he turns 18.

Edited by clarea

My understanding is that if he is linked, he should retain whatever level his parents have (up to D+) on the day he turns 18.

That's my understanding, too, but I've never specifically questioned it. I just seem to recall that they had said somewhere that Pinnacle Club was the only status that had to be specifically earned by children, which led me to assume that all of the other levels, including Diamond Plus, could be inherited.

I hadn't given thought to what happens when the child turns 18, though. My only experience is with my children, one of whom had turned 18 and was Platinum (first by inheritance, and then subsequently earned), and the other who just recently turned 18 and is still recognized as Diamond (by inheritance).

That's my understanding, too, but I've never specifically questioned it. I just seem to recall that they had said somewhere that Pinnacle Club was the only status that had to be specifically earned by children, which led me to assume that all of the other levels, including Diamond Plus, could be inherited.

I hadn't given thought to what happens when the child turns 18, though. My only experience is with my children, one of whom had turned 18 and was Platinum (first by inheritance, and then subsequently earned), and the other who just recently turned 18 and is still recognized as Diamond (by inheritance).

My understanding is that Pinnacle Club level can be inherited only if the relationship is "significant other", not child.

Also, in the past Royal has missed unlinking some children when they turned 18, so their level kept going up with their parents past the age of 18. However, some have reported that their child got demoted when the child takes their first cruise after turning 18.

My understanding is that Pinnacle Club level can be inherited only if the relationship is "significant other", not child.

Also, in the past Royal has missed unlinking some children when they turned 18, so their level kept going up with their parents past the age of 18. However, some have reported that their child got demoted when the child takes their first cruise after turning 18.

You are correct about PC level.

Here's a thread that was started back in April of 2012 regarding the discussion we are having C & A Status for children turning 18

I was led to believe from my previous enquiries on cruise critic that my son would retain diamond plus status once he turned 18 years( from my status) but would have to accumulate points to reach pinnacle from where he actually accrued points in his own right from sailings on Rccl. I think he has about 150 points accrued from actual cruises. Once he turns 18 years on board he can present to guest relations to change his cruise card from child to adult and I wondered if he would then get the benefits of D plus loaded on his sea pass or as he was two days off 18 years(adult status) on boarding he would not be permitted to do that ?? I find it a little confusing generally but hope it will be clear before our cruises in November. Sue

I was led to believe from my previous enquiries on cruise critic that my son would retain diamond plus status once he turned 18 years( from my status) but would have to accumulate points to reach pinnacle from where he actually accrued points in his own right from sailings on Rccl. I think he has about 150 points accrued from actual cruises. Once he turns 18 years on board he can present to guest relations to change his cruise card from child to adult and I wondered if he would then get the benefits of D plus loaded on his sea pass or as he was two days off 18 years(adult status) on boarding he would not be permitted to do that ?? I find it a little confusing generally but hope it will be clear before our cruises in November. Sue

Talk to the LA and ask if he can get the adult coupons. The general rule is a guest's age for the cruise is whatever it is on day one, so be prepared for that answer.

Edited by clarea

At 18, my daughter became D+ with 100+ cruise points of her own. The biggest disappoint for her now is that she wants cruise with her college roommates for spring break but she can't because she is only 20 years old. I'd much rather her spend spring break in the secure familiar environment of a cruise ship vs a cheap mexican spring break resort. I hope someday RCI reconsiders the 21 YO policy.

Yes, I think you are right and he may be denied the coupons but at least he can enjoy a cocktail at happy hour. I assume he will have the three drinks loaded on his sea pass once he turns 18 years ??

Yes, I think you are right and he may be denied the coupons but at least he can enjoy a cocktail at happy hour. I assume he will have the three drinks loaded on his sea pass once he turns 18 years ??

Basically, same answer I gave above. His age is 17 on day one, and if they stick to the rules, his age will be 17 the entire cruise. Speak to the Loyalty Ambassador.

Here in OZ we have 18 yrs as the legal drinking age and I often wish we had the 21 years drinking rule here as some teens don't have much self control when it comes to alcohol. I agree that cruise ships are much safer than many other travel destinations. Our teens often frequent Bali and that presents many new dangers.:eek:

Don't think so - drinking age on the ship I believe is 21

The OP is from Australia and even is she wasn't the drinking age when sailing around Australia is different than sailing around North America. From the RCI website:

ALCOHOL POLICY

con_bulletgray_ico.gif Effective immediatly on all sailings, the minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on all Royal Caribbean International is as follows.

con_bulletgray_ico.gif The minimum age to consume alcohol on Royal Caribbean International ships on sailings originating in North America is twenty-one (21).

con_bulletgray_ico.gifThe minimum age to consume alcohol on Royal Caribbean International ships on sailings from South America, Europe, Asia, Australia and New Zealand is eighteen (18). The minimum age to consume alcohol at all private destinations remains twenty-one (21) without regard to where the sailing originated. The Company retains the right, on rare occasions, to raise the minimum age of alcohol consumption on any sailing when local laws require or permit such a modification.

Edited by cruisenfever

Here's how it is supposed to work. The child inherits the parents status if he/she sails with the parent after the parent attains the level. The child does not attain the level just because the parent attained a new level. So the question is: Has your son sailed with you since you became D+? If so then the child should be D+ for this cruise. The child will only have the actual number of points that he/she have actually sailed after they turn 18 but will still have the level from their last cruise. I'm not sure what RCL will do but since they are treating your son as being 17 for this cruise, then I think there is an argument that he should become D+ after this cruise (if isn't already D+).

He should because he will be under 18. Afterwards he may drop down to the status his points alone give him. That is what happen to my oldest daughter she has only the points and status she acured in her own right. Her younger sister has cruised more and will stay a diamond when she turns 18 as she has earned those points (134 points )in her own right.I don't know if they do it different in the US but that is what happened to us in Australia.

Edited by Jasp 0401

At 18, my daughter became D+ with 100+ cruise points of her own. The biggest disappoint for her now is that she wants cruise with her college roommates for spring break but she can't because she is only 20 years old. I'd much rather her spend spring break in the secure familiar environment of a cruise ship vs a cheap mexican spring break resort. I hope someday RCI reconsiders the 21 YO policy.

I don't.

Our kids were Diamond when they turned 18 as they carried our level. Our son dropped back a level on the next cruise after he was 18 but has since earned his own points and is now Diamond. Our daughter was Diamond when she turned 18 based on her points and she stayed at that level.