Allure self disembarkation early flight

Sorry. Port Everglades on a cruise 4/10/16-4/17/16.

They should be OK if they choose self-assist disembarkation and they are flying out of FLL.

Edited by clarea

I have a Serenade OTS 10:45 AM FLL flight in December and I'm expecting to make it.

I don't know if I should do self-assist or as D+ will I debark early enough in the third group off the ship. Concerned about delays at customs. Although it is a smaller ship. :confused:

I have a Serenade OTS 10:45 AM FLL flight in December and I'm expecting to make it.

I don't know if I should do self-assist or as D+ will I debark early enough in the third group off the ship. Concerned about delays at customs. Although it is a smaller ship. :confused:

I'd look at the scheduled arrival time. Oasis class is usually scheduled to arrive at 6:15am. Serenade may be later than that. If Serenade is coming in at 8am, or is arriving from a transatlantic, it will be tough to make that flight.

I'd look at the scheduled arrival time. Oasis class is usually scheduled to arrive at 6:15am. Serenade may be later than that. If Serenade is coming in at 8am, or is arriving from a transatlantic, it will be tough to make that flight.

Ordinary 10 night scheduled to arrive Monday 12/14/15 @ 7:00 AM after two sea days. Seems like a week day with few other ships there we would not have much of a problem. I thought even if we took a number we would be off the ship by 8:30. The wild card is always customs!

I can't remember too many times that we actually had to go through customs on a round trip. I remember often just handing over a declarations form and that was it. So inconsistant between ports.

Airport in Ft Lauderdale is about 10 to 15 minutes from pier.

The only problem which I have experienced that happens rarely but does happen is the ship clearing immigrations and/or customs.

Ship is scheduled for 6:00am arrival but usually does not clear customs/immigrations until 7:45 or 8:00.

Based on a normal schedule should be at airport by 9:00am

Ordinary 10 night scheduled to arrive Monday 12/14/15 @ 7:00 AM after two sea days. Seems like a week day with few other ships there we would not have much of a problem. I thought even if we took a number we would be off the ship by 8:30. The wild card is always customs!

I can't remember too many times that we actually had to go through customs on a round trip. I remember often just handing over a declarations form and that was it. So inconsistant between ports.

Do you mean customs, immigration, or both? So far at a port Everglades, I recall doing immigration shoreside. Customs part is always fast for us. In some ports, we did not have to do immigration on shore, as non US citizens (or non US, non Canadian) had to do immigration on board. If all such people went where there were suppose to on time, and if enough authoritative came aboard on time, then all went smoothly. OTOH, if even one person who was expected to appear did not do so, authorities could hold everyone on the ship....so one person could ruin the day for the entire ship! If I had an early flight, I'd rather have immigration on shore than have to depend on 100% compliance.

Do you mean customs, immigration, or both? So far at a port Everglades, I recall doing immigration shoreside. Customs part is always fast for us. In some ports, we did not have to do immigration on shore, as non US citizens (or non US, non Canadian) had to do immigration on board. If all such people went where there were suppose to on time, and if enough authoritative came aboard on time, then all went smoothly. OTOH, if even one person who was expected to appear did not do so, authorities could hold everyone on the ship....so one person could ruin the day for the entire ship! If I had an early flight, I'd rather have immigration on shore than have to depend on 100% compliance.

Government bureaucracy at its finest. Let’s make things as difficult as possible. The CBP website for Port Everglades actually says 3 hours to clear the ship for debarkation! If it took that long normally there would be riots.

Although it does impact me indirectly, we are US citizens so we don’t have to clear immigration. Customs is another story. This is our first time out of Port Everglades since the new terminals were built. I don’t remember any undue delay getting off the Allure, which is why I booked such an early flight. If memory serves me correctly Allure was the only ship I have sailed that had three numbers for self-assist because there were so many passengers.

Oh well have to play it safe and do self-assist.

To be honest you cannot really compare the disembarkation experience from the Allure at Terminal 18 to any of the other terminal's at Port Everglades. Terminal 18 is the most efficient and well designed terminal there. The other terminals are not laid out as well and are much smaller. Those terminals even with other smaller ships many times have delays and issues with disembarking passengers. Another big factor will be how many CBP officers will be working the particular terminal your ship arrives into.

To be honest you cannot really compare the disembarkation experience from the Allure at Terminal 18 to any of the other terminal's at Port Everglades. Terminal 18 is the most efficient and well designed terminal there. The other terminals are not laid out as well and are much smaller. Those terminals even with other smaller ships many times have delays and issues with disembarking passengers. Another big factor will be how many CBP officers will be working the particular terminal your ship arrives into.

Excellent point. Also, Oasis and Allure usually arrive before 6am.

Government bureaucracy at its finest. Let’s make things as difficult as possible. The CBP website for Port Everglades actually says 3 hours to clear the ship for debarkation! If it took that long normally there would be riots.

Although it does impact me indirectly, we are US citizens so we don’t have to clear immigration. Customs is another story. This is our first time out of Port Everglades since the new terminals were built. I don’t remember any undue delay getting off the Allure, which is why I booked such an early flight. If memory serves me correctly Allure was the only ship I have sailed that had three numbers for self-assist because there were so many passengers.

Everybody has to clear immigration, US citizen or no. The people who scan your passport and look at your customs declaration form are immigration officials. At least I'm pretty sure they are...

As the PP said, U.S. Citizens or no, everybody gets to enjoy being at the mercy of government officials. As U.S. Citizens returning from travels abroad, U.S. Immigration clears us to re-enter our beloved country. Sometimes authorities clear all US citizens by photos and electronic data, but I port Everglades I'vae had to stop for immigration formalities. Sometimes lines are short and move fast, other times things move slower.

As others have said, be careful of extrapolating port Everglades disembarkation from Oasis Class ships to other ships; sadly they do not all run so early and so smoothly.

We have sailed the Oasis/Allure the past four years and have taken the 8 am flight each time with no problem. We do the self disembarkation and usually are at the airport before 7. It is a risk but has thankfully worked out for us.

Even around Spring Break season? We are sailing Harmony SB 2017 and I'm curious about this as well. Thanks

Assuming Harmony will be using terminal 18, arriving around 6am, and you are doing self-assist disembarkation, you should be at the FLL airport before 8:30am.

Our flight is at 11:00 AM after a Serenade cruise in February. There is always a chance of the unforeseen, but I don't really anticipate any problems.

Serenade will be doing quite a few of those 10/11 night sailings. :)

We may do self assist, dependent on when they start regular disembarkation.