Planetarium Status

troywest

Is the Planetarium back in operation?

A post several days ago suggested that it was inoperative, and -apparently- could not be repaired onboard.

Just off Wednesday, November 25th.

During our 13 day cruise, the planetarium was NOT operational.

• 1 month later...

The planetarium never really reached its potential. I went to the presentations on three different transatlantics, and it was always a kind of a generic and prerecorded thing on the zodiac or similar topic. It was never tailored to the stars and planets visible during the cruise. Such a lost opportunity! The information is so readily available. I suggested this to Cunard years ago, never received a response.

I can confirm that on the just finished QM2 Transatlantic crossing 10th Jan til 17th Jan that the planetarium was operational every day (3 shows daily) and that all seats were functional.

I saw Infinity Express yesterday afternoon - it was quite good. There was also something called Stars of the Atlantic or something like that and one other show. I didn't see those.

I can confirm that on the just finished QM2 Transatlantic crossing 10th Jan til 17th Jan that the planetarium was operational every day (3 shows daily) and that all seats were functional.

I saw Infinity Express yesterday afternoon - it was quite good. There was also something called Stars of the Atlantic or something like that and one other show. I didn't see those.

When you say all the seats were functional does that mean that all the broken ones have been replaced or repaired?

David.

When you say all the seats were functional does that mean that all the broken ones have been replaced or repaired?

David.

There were quite a few people at the showing and there were no signs saying seats were out of operation. I noticed no problems or people having to find alternative seats.

There were quite a few people at the showing and there were no signs saying seats were out of operation. I noticed no problems or people having to find alternative seats.

Well there have never been signs indicating that seats were out of operation, and to be fair it wouldn't matter much in a Planetarium show when the seat backs would be used reclined. Not so good in a lecture though! I doubt there has been any change from our last voyage last year.

Hopefully the chair problem will be sorted in the refit.

David.

Let's be honest, if they took out the planetarium altogether it would be no great loss. The shows were mediocre to say the least. The chances of getting a working seat were about 50/50 and the same shows were repeated voyage after voyage. I gave them up ages ago.

MM

Let's be honest, if they took out the planetarium altogether it would be no great loss. The shows were mediocre to say the least. The chances of getting a working seat were about 50/50 and the same shows were repeated voyage after voyage. I gave them up ages ago.

MM

I disagree. I thought the show I saw was very good.

MM

There was a significant variety of shows and as far as I could see the seats were all OK- that was last week.!

I'm with David---reacting with some disbelieve that that seats are now ALL in good-working order! We have noticed broken seats for YEARS and YEARS in Illuminations… Well, very good news---which after some shock, I'm willing to accept. : )

I agree that the Planetarium shows are basic, but we have enjoyed them over the years and think others will enjoy them in the future. Illuminations certainly stages many different kinds of entertainment---I'd like to see the planetarium shows to continue to be part of this.

Austcruiser84, thank you for being our eyes and ears aboard the QM2. Thank you for your report on Illuminations! Thank you for conveying positive news!

Ditto Trevor for adding your confirmation!

Jimmybean

Edited by jimmybean

We were on the ship from 15 th Dec to 10th Jan and it was fixed, but having said that there were days when, due to weather conditions rocking ship, it was cancelled due to the safety factor in lowering the equipment. Still many broken seats.

re shows I have seen 2 planitarium shows one was not good and the other was great effects and good naration by one of the "movie stars" cant think of his name

• 2 weeks later...
We were on the ship from 15 th Dec to 10th Jan and it was fixed, but having said that there were days when, due to weather conditions rocking ship, it was cancelled due to the safety factor in lowering the equipment. Still many broken seats.

re shows I have seen 2 planitarium shows one was not good and the other was great effects and good naration by one of the "movie stars" cant think of his name

Harrison Ford 😀