Live from the Queen Victoria world cruise (with a QM2 prelude)

rafinmd

Sorry to hear about those TVs in the Winter Garden. The one on QE was always a nice quiet place to sit and read or even eat lunch from the Lido.

Totally agree. I loved the Winter Garden on QE too and was hoping that the one on QV would be the same....

It just cost the Q.V.$354,000 dollars, So for the Q.M It will be considerably more

If if could make it under the bridge of the Americas, I would pay more just to do it.

thank you to the other posters about the world cruise. I have been reading all and planning for my first. Yes it will be in 10 years but I have a great memory and will remember what to see and what to do.

9f7302bad367355e7e1b6c493b5edc6d.jpg

Sunset shining on Queen Victoria, San Francisco Feb 7 2016

Super Bowl parties took over the new cruise terminal, so Vickie was forced to use the old berth at pier 35

Great picture. The QE was at Pier 35 last year as well. I think the new one is going to be more for the regular ships coming and going from SFO. I actually prefer being at Pier 35 for the location, though it sounds like Pier 27 is nicely set up (but also set up for special activities). Hope your trip to Hawaii is a bit smoother than last year.

Great picture. The QE was at Pier 35 last year as well. I think the new one is going to be more for the regular ships coming and going from SFO. I actually prefer being at Pier 35 for the location, though it sounds like Pier 27 is nicely set up (but also set up for special activities). Hope your trip to Hawaii is a bit smoother than last year.

Hi guys., to anyone still interested in this thread.,

we are still on the high seas and still travelling smoothly. Today we arrived in Hawaii after a bout 4 or was it 5...I can;t remember which, they meld so effortlessly into each other ., days at sea and we arrived to a stunning hawaiian morning.

We are still here as the ship departs around midnight, Im on the front verandah at the moment and I can hear Hooters , or what remains of the old hooters bar, to the port side as I watch errant travellers offloaded by various taxis and busses at the port gates. We have enjoyed the longer stay on land and a lot of passengers took the opportunity to stay in Waikiki for dinner.

Today, for something different I and a group of 9 others went to Doris Dukes house here. Now a museum, she built the most amazing house on the other side of Diamond Head and filled it full of islamic art and architecture. It is what a lot of money and ...taste...can achieve. Often they do not go hand in hand but here they do. I can thoroughly recommend it as a alternative if like the others on our group you had been here before and had no interest in bars, beaches or watching little giggling teenagers in ins teensy bikinis trot along the boardwalk of Waikiki in stilletoes. I know I have probably lost some readers already.

Anyway, we continue to Maui tomorrow, Im sure there will be plenty the others could add if they were not popping up the bars in the ship, or lingering over the chocolate buffet,

The shows still continue, they are pretty good, Im afraid the last couple of lecturers have not been up to much in my opinion. One droned on about the NFL...no offence, but he had no humour and his delivery was terrible, and then some guy who may or mayn't have worked for Ronald Reagan, we are still confused over what he actually did for him. He prattled on for an hour that I will never see again and I still don't know what his lecture was about it had no content and no form or direction. Most people left....hopefully he wont be back. Bill Bryson was pretty good and I must read one of his books, his lectures and Q & A was hilarious.

Hopefully the lecturers will improve, so far, most have been disappointing.

Fencing has become too popular and those who have been to previous sectors lessons are encouraged to give the newbies a chance which is fair enough. Good to see it so popular though.

Blog updated to Sf, and Hawaii will be in next day or so.

Can thoroughly recommend the experience if anyone is considering the commitment.

regards Roscoe

Hi Roscoe. Thanks for the great post. I wondered whether you might be able to tell us how the menus etc currently are in the Grills on QV? There was a lot written about changes a few months ago and we are keen to know what to expect when next onboard. Thanks for all your updates so far, which have been great to read.

Hi Roscoe. Thanks for the great post. I wondered whether you might be able to tell us how the menus etc currently are in the Grills on QV? There was a lot written about changes a few months ago and we are keen to know what to expect when next onboard. Thanks for all your updates so far, which have been great to read.

I dont notice any difference in the grills menus, you can still order off menu as you have always done, although caviar seems to be missing in anything other than Queens, In Princess you ave to pay for it ...HORROR!

The menu in the Verandah is due for a change but after the WC which is bit of a shame, although I enjoy my dinners there I have been through the menu a few times. Mea who is the MD there is wonderful.

we are sitting in the bay at La Haina waiting for departure, we leave in about an hour. It was an amazing day with whales around the ship as they were letting the tenders down. They are everywhere around us if you know what to look for.

The town is beautiful and if anyone tells you that you have to do an excursion here because there is nothing else to see is pulling your leg. A couple of great beaches within walking distance and lots of bars and restaurants. Most having happy hour...happily...some pics uploaded to my blog and I will fill in the details over the next few sea days....

ps...hot as hades

I dont notice any difference in the grills menus, you can still order off menu as you have always done, although caviar seems to be missing in anything other than Queens, In Princess you ave to pay for it ...HORROR!

The menu in the Verandah is due for a change but after the WC which is bit of a shame, although I enjoy my dinners there I have been through the menu a few times. Mea who is the MD there is wonderful.

we are sitting in the bay at La Haina waiting for departure, we leave in about an hour. It was an amazing day with whales around the ship as they were letting the tenders down. They are everywhere around us if you know what to look for.

The town is beautiful and if anyone tells you that you have to do an excursion here because there is nothing else to see is pulling your leg. A couple of great beaches within walking distance and lots of bars and restaurants. Most having happy hour...happily...some pics uploaded to my blog and I will fill in the details over the next few sea days....

ps...hot as hades

Roscoe, definitely still reading - here and your blog, plus Roy's from the Symphony. Somehow I lost my "subscription" on this forum, so missed a few days. I enjoy having a slightly different focus here compared to the blog - or maybe I just like having more stories to read. Keep enjoying and posting for those of us still stuck ashore for now.

Roscoe, definitely still reading - here and your blog, plus Roy's from the Symphony. Somehow I lost my "subscription" on this forum, so missed a few days. I enjoy having a slightly different focus here compared to the blog - or maybe I just like having more stories to read. Keep enjoying and posting for those of us still stuck ashore for now.

Hi Stan and Kathy. Nice to see you posting on here again now. How are you both? Have you got any cruises planned?

Love Pat

Rosco, Instead of what I was supposed to be doing on a freezing afternoon, I read your entire blog. Wonderful reading...thank you so much.

lol...thanks....

another day on the high seas here., the seas are getting a little choppier as we will start to be affected by cyclone Winstone soon. There is an 80% chance we will miss Apia., not a great loss in my mind, but hopefully that might signal an overnight in Auckland which has excited the crew.

Another big cocktail party last night there were some amazing gowns and it wasn't even a formal night. The cross of the line ceremony today, and its very humid outside. Just about to finish the blog about La Haina, another amazing stop on an incredible journey.

best regards Roscoe

Thanks for posting Roscoe. Hope you get your overnight in Auckland.

Now back home in UK after a great stay in LA, and still missing the QV.

call to Apia definately off, we are going to skirt eastwards around the storm.

So far apart from a little choppy with little movement on the ship its hard to believe that the islands are such a mess.....

Hi Stan and Kathy. Nice to see you posting on here again now. How are you both? Have you got any cruises planned?

Love Pat

Hi Pat,

We're sailing on HAL Prinsendam in May - 50 days, Ft Lauderdale TA, Baltic, Norway Fjords to north cape and back to Amsterdam.

Back home to surgery for Stan later this summer.

Hi Pat,

We're sailing on HAL Prinsendam in May - 50 days, Ft Lauderdale TA, Baltic, Norway Fjords to north cape and back to Amsterdam.

Back home to surgery for Stan later this summer.

Hi Guys., just a ship update., we are sailing fast towards NZ, having successfully avoided cyclone Winston. The islands are getting a battering and last night was a kin to being on a roller coaster but at least we didn't have to pay for it in broken dishes or spilled drinks. ITs a lot smoother today and there are people back around the pool.

They have had to rehash the entertainment from the previous sector which unfortunately included the comedian and the magician, both of which were questionable in their talent, personal opinion of course, but the telling point was the empty theatre last night.

The good news is that we are hopefully overnighting in Auckland now on the 22 February all things being equal. This is a bonus for the over worked crew...and the sea weary travellers who didn't reveal in 9 days at sea.

I of course would have been happy to do this world cruise of 120 days without even touching land.

oh...an ps.....

thanks to everyone who has had kind things to say about my blog., it had 10,800 hits till today from when i started the counter on 10 January.

thanks...

regards Roscoe