Visa for India

slhw

Hi.

Visas arrived this morning. Thank goodness that's sorted. Thank you everyone for your help. Once the faff of the online forms was sorted, it was relatively easy. We were in and out of the Liverpool VFS office in 20 minutes. Somehow I had expected something more official than 'a post office counter'. We paid £251 which, although more than the £214 originally quoted, is still less than CIBT.

Jo-b and Silverhead6736. We're from Great Sutton. We're on from Honk Kong end of March to Dubai. Am going to reply separately to the Chennai thread and start one re currency. Also going to join Roll Call. Getting excited now. Sandie

I have read this thread with interest as I'm going stopping off in Chennai and then Cochin on the QE in April.

The visa process isn't the most user friendly, and I've noticed that on printing out my on-line form a section H has appeared for 'Address Of Place of Stay/Hotel'. It's understandably now blank so I'm worried about paying and then getting the form refused.

Secondly, I don't know if putting the port agent for Cochin as kindly posted earlier will suffice for the Indian reference as my first port will be Chennai....anyone have an idea if that's okay? I've alternatively put the address of the Indian High Commission in New Delhi, but as a result there's really nothing on my application to say that I'm on a cruise.

Just a wee bit concerned, and wondered if anyone had any advice? Thanks!

Hello Tafkap, I had no idea what the relevant address was so I used my cabin number (already assigned) for QM2 and also quoted the Inmarsat satellite phone number for the ship. It seemed the best I could do at the time and thankfully the visas came back in 48hrs. Like you? When I printed the form something I had entered had vanished, but having 'submitted' it there was nothing I could do to rectify it. So many traps for the unwary!

I've read that they don't even require the Indian reference if you're on a cruise so I'm not going to stress over it. The section H wasn't even displayed online for me to complete but magically appeared after printing the form..go figure. As I can't amend by hand I'm just going to submit it, I'm past caring.

I do rather think Cunard should supply some advice rather than referring all visa enquiries to their partner who put a healthy commission on top for their services. Okay, rant over. 😀

Hello Tafkap...I left section H...put no details in. For Section I.I put in the Cunard agents in India.....JM Baxi & Co.

Godrej, Coliseum, Office 801,8th Floor.

C Wing, Mumbai, 400022.

Tel. +9122221044

For UK reference Any relation name and address is sufficient with tel. no.

Went through without any problems.

Under section E. for period of Visa put....1 Year.

I took my application to the VFS office in Manchester after obtaining an appointment.

Donnt forget to get an Indian Visa photo...which is obtained from most photo booths. Just make sure you select the one for Indian Visa. Tesco booths do them.

There is an article in the Telegraph about obtaining a visa....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/asia/india/11490282/...

or something like that!!!!!it its dated march 2015 so is up to date.

Doing the HK to Southampton leg. Seems a lot of trouble to go ashore in In dia and the organised trips seem to be lacking. Viator is a possibility.

Regards

These visas are definitely the most annoying part of the journey preparation. My INDIA visa application was rejected (By CIBT) as i had listed "On board cruise ship QE" for my location in India. They wanted the physical / land address of the CUNARD office in Chennai. CIBT told me that one address would suffice for both ports. So I re-did it, and it was fine~~~the passport has been back with me for a couple of months, already.

My next surprise ( BIG JOLT) came when their invoice popped up in my "IN"

box. S I X incorrect charges were staring at me.

Which they did reverse / credit, when I called their attention to it.

I made a previous post, on here~~~~ warning fellow cruisers to BE Watchful of your invoice from CIBT.

I would have greatly preferred to do it at the embassy/consulate, myself, instead of using a service ~~~~~~ but its not possible from my location :-(

Thanks for all the feedback.. Well, I've submitted my application for better or worse! I attached my cruise itinerary and receipt as some others suggested, but she returned them to me saying "I don't need these". Hmm..without that documentation there's nothing on the form to say I'm on a cruise.

I pointed out that section H was blank as it only appeared after printing, and she laughed as if this was a common thing. Looks like no big deal! It was all given the once over - I put the high commission as my India reference which wasn't challenged. Fingers crossed folks - five to seven working days until I get it back (I hope!). I'll keep you posted..