Noro Virus on Queen Elizabeth

Scorer9

Cunard has always referred to the gel used aboard as anti bacterial, so until they say different that's what we should regard it as. And really? you put hand to face and mouth at dinner, giving the nasty little virus easy access to your digestive system?

Cunard staff must dread an outbreak of Noro virus but all on board need to be vigilant as I guess the majority are because the percentage affected is usuall quite low.

David.

Yes; never having had much success eating a roll with a knife and fork, I really do use my hand to eat a roll. Note: as mentioned previously, I use my personal bottle of hand sanitizer prior to eating and I wash vigorously prior to leaving my cabin :)

Cunard has always referred to the gel used aboard as anti bacterial, so until they say different that's what we should regard it as.
Next time you're onboard give a closer look at the bottles of Purell they use (these photos are from 2013, but they still use VF 481).

11758734406_28c42f4a6e_n.jpg

11758737486_9a212178ec.jpg

EN 14476 summary

Also: https://handwashingforlife.com/files/Norovirus_Study.pdf (Page 30-40)

I am on this cruise. I have not met any one who is affected. I have been told by a Butler I know in the Grills and also by a ships officer the illness is not Noro virus. There is no vomiting involved. They told me it was brought onboard in Cape Town and they think many people got the bug after been on overnight tours. We have avoided many public rooms and stayed away from the buffet. Not that use it much but as we eat in the MDR. The Captain gives daily updates a d calls it gastro intestinal illness. It has really altered the good feel factor on the sdhip as one can imagine.

I am on this cruise. I have not met any one who is affected. I have been told by a Butler I know in the Grills and also by a ships officer the illness is not Noro virus. There is no vomiting involved. They told me it was brought onboard in Cape Town and they think many people got the bug after been on overnight tours. We have avoided many public rooms and stayed away from the buffet. Not that use it much but as we eat in the MDR. The Captain gives daily updates a d calls it gastro intestinal illness. It has really altered the good feel factor on the sdhip as one can imagine.

Hi Maggie,

Glad you and JT are ok and it has not affected you.

See you in 1 weeks time!

chez

In my experience the Captain will never call it Norovirus, but instead will use a term such as you've heard. Noro needs to be confirmed in a laboratory, but the treatment and prevention for any gastrointestinal illness is pretty much the same.

In my experience the Captain will never call it Norovirus, but instead will use a term such as you've heard. Noro needs to be confirmed in a laboratory, but the treatment and prevention for any gastrointestinal illness is pretty much the same.

Are you sure about that?

Please see http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/training/videos/transcripts/outbreak.pdf

Edited by Salacia

We board on March 10 and will be using lots of soap, hot water, Purel, alcohol wipes on our cameras, phones and tablets and Lysol anti-viral spray (only on objects in our cabin). We've avoided illness so far and hope we continue our good fortune. In any case, it sounds as though the worst is over. Stay well!