Flexible dining in Grills?

rsquare

Cunard has been sending an incessant flow of communications urging me on to the Ultimate Upgrade, a Grills cabin. One of the benefits they point out is the ability to dine at any time, within fairly broad limits, in their single-seating restaurants. I’m curious as to how that actually plays out.

I’ve never been in a Grills suite, but we were upgraded once to Britannia Club, which has a similar single-seating arrangement, albeit in a corner of the main dining room. At our first dinner with two other couples we all hit it off nicely, and agreed that it would be more fun if we all ate together. A consensus emerged on a 7:30 dinnertime, and there went the flexibility of Britannia Club. Now I’m not complaining; our table companions were lovely, and we enjoyed the voyage, and looked forward to touching base with our new friends at dinnertime (other meals were a bit chancier, as some tablemates chose Kings Court or Todd English on occasion).

But what I wonder is how often that sort of thing happens in Grills, as opposed to a completely flexible, come-and-go-as-you-please approach to dinner. How real a Grills benefit is flexible dining?

At our first dinner with two other couples we all hit it off nicely, and agreed that it would be more fun if we all ate together. A consensus emerged on a 7:30 dinnertime, and there went the flexibility of Britannia Club.

The flexibility was still available to you in spite of your choosing to disregard it.

It seems as if in retrospect you feel that you succumbed to peer pressure in agreeing to join the other two couples at the same time every night. Was the subject not even broached as to coming earlier or later on one's own should there be an activity of interest that conflicted with that time?

If you do choose to move up to the Grills (which, in the interest of full disclosure, I have yet to secure the means to do) you have two options:

1. Secure a table for two;

2. Failing that, politely but directly inform your tablemates that you intend to take full advantage of the flexibility to each day decide late in the day which hour you choose to begin your dinner. Then summon up the bottle to do exactly that.

rsquare, we also thoroughly enjoyed our table mates in Britannia Club (table for six). There was never a discussion about coordinating our dining times; most nights we arrived at the table at different times. But the staff did an amazing job of serving dessert and coffee at the same time. Graceful service, interesting dining companions - and it did take two nights before we all clicked, but then, it was a fine time!

Personally, I would not suggest a dining time to tablemates in Britannia Club or the Grills, simply because flexible dining time is important feature that carries a premium fare.

Cheers,

S

Thanks to some upgrades and a few very good deals I have been fortunate to have travelled in both Princess and Queen's Grills several times. We always choose a table for six and the dining arrangements have always worked out well. On some voyages we all had an informal agreement as to when we would dine.

On some crossings we have all arrived at approximately the same time - even for breakfast, which is not something I expected. On other voyages some of our table-mates rarely came to breakfast. Occasionally we had breakfast alone. On only one voyage did the three couples come to the evening meal at very different times. One couple dined early, we arrived in the middle and the third couple came in late. So there was little time that all six of us were together at dinner. But that was only once. Even that time most of us were at the table together at lunch. From my experience most people arrive for dinner between 7:00 and 7:30.

As a courtesy people tend to tell the others if they are going to skip dinner and go to Todd English or the Verandah, for example.

Wouldnt be happy after paying the price of a Queens Grill cabin and then sharing a table and because of the flexibility of dining times somebody joining the table while you are on your main course and people coming and going to the table at different times not what I would call a luxury dining experience. We are considering booking a QG suite for our 35th wedding anniversary but unless they can guarantee a table for 2 then wouldnt book it because we would want the flexibility of dining times and think it is bad manners to join a table when some are half way through their dinner.

Wouldnt be happy after paying the price of a Queens Grill cabin and then sharing a table and because of the flexibility of dining times somebody joining the table while you are on your main course and people coming and going to the table at different times not what I would call a luxury dining experience. We are considering booking a QG suite for our 35th wedding anniversary but unless they can guarantee a table for 2 then wouldnt book it because we would want the flexibility of dining times and think it is bad manners to join a table when some are half way through their dinner.

Bad mannered? Nothing bad mannered about joining people who are already eating if you've chosen to dine at a large table. We always ask for the largest table in QG and it's been our experience, an informal arrangement is usually made to dine at roughly the same time as others which is usually between 7.30 and 8pm. This doesn't always follow though and some can already be on their entrée when you arrive. No problem. Just sit down and join in.

Like Gill, we always have a table for 2. We have a favourite one on QV (Gill knows where it is) and always request it.

It's got its own space, but still near enough others if we want to join in.

Stewart

I think the tables for 2 are perfect - close enough to chat to the next table(s), but easy to not chat too much if you don't want to.

Cunard has been sending an incessant flow of communications urging me on to the Ultimate Upgrade, a Grills cabin. One of the benefits they point out is the ability to dine at any time, within fairly broad limits, in their single-seating restaurants. I’m curious as to how that actually plays out.

I’ve never been in a Grills suite, but we were upgraded once to Britannia Club, which has a similar single-seating arrangement, albeit in a corner of the main dining room. At our first dinner with two other couples we all hit it off nicely, and agreed that it would be more fun if we all ate together. A consensus emerged on a 7:30 dinnertime, and there went the flexibility of Britannia Club. Now I’m not complaining; our table companions were lovely, and we enjoyed the voyage, and looked forward to touching base with our new friends at dinnertime (other meals were a bit chancier, as some tablemates chose Kings Court or Todd English on occasion).

But what I wonder is how often that sort of thing happens in Grills, as opposed to a completely flexible, come-and-go-as-you-please approach to dinner. How real a Grills benefit is flexible dining?

Best would be to do a table for 2. That way tablemates aren't waiting for other guests to arrive. We noticed it caused a few issues as some would wait & others wanted to start dining arrangements as soon as they were seated. It's pretty cozy in the Grills, so it's easy to chat with your neighbors.

Plenty of the tables for two are arranged in a manner that allows you to chat with the tables either side if you so wish. A table for 6/8 has always worked fine for me despite different arrival times. If we have gone "off menu" as a group ie same dishes, then we would agree a time to be at the table together. Personally, the enjoyment of being with others far outweighs the different arrival times.

So how does it work - do we just go to the dining room on embarkation day and the maitre d' will have assigned us a table? I think our TA asked us if we prefer early or late dining and a table for 2/4/6/8...is this right in PG? I think it says 'early dining' option on our voyage personaliser.

I think we're pretty easy going so we don't mind what we do! Or am I missing anything?

So how does it work - do we just go to the dining room on embarkation day and the maitre d' will have assigned us a table? I think our TA asked us if we prefer early or late dining and a table for 2/4/6/8...is this right in PG? I think it says 'early dining' option on our voyage personaliser.

I think we're pretty easy going so we don't mind what we do! Or am I missing anything?

Hi Nickymmm

If you are in either QG or PG, you will find a card in your room on embarkation, that will give you a table number.

Both restaurants open for lunch at 1:00pm, so it's best to get there sharp to ensure that the table works for you. If not, speak to the Maitre d' who will do his best to accommodate.

Stewart

There is no early or late sitting in the Grills, you turn up at a time to suit yourself. Within opening hours of course.

Option 1 - request a table for two. You will will certainly get one, although it may be a little close to the neighbours, with whom you can choose to strike up a conversation or just ignore them. It's complete pot luck, although we've only once come across people so adverse to conversation that we wondered if we had leprosy.

Option 2 - Ask for a table for 6-8 and live within whatever artificial or peer enforced rules you decide upon. Your table mates may become life long friends or you may be glad to get off the boat and out of their way after the longest 14 days of your life. No-one can predict how it will turn out.

Option 3 - Dine in your cabin. If you meet new and interesting people on board you can invite them along, although anything short of a Q2 isn't really set out for dining with company.

Option 4 -Turn down the upgrade and stick to what you know. On QV and QM2 this will give you the security of having dining time imposed upon you thereby eliminating the need to make decisions or risk offending someone who has no right to be offended when you simply turn up at a time that suits you.

Thank you all for your help, I am certain I will be posting a lot more questions!

My only concern now is that I have to wait 261 sleeps to get on this ship and I just can't wait to experience her and everything about the trip!

Great advice about Grills dining and I appreciate all your advice.

Happy sailing everyone! :)

Thanks for all of the responses. I think some of you may have missed the part of my post that said "Now I’m not complaining; our table companions were lovely, and we enjoyed the voyage, and looked forward to touching base with our new friends at dinnertime." Certainly true for Fishywood, whose long-distance diagnosis of lack of courage to insist on my rights was way off the mark, as well as borderline offensive.

But also true for those who advised a table for two, or dining in my suite. For me and my travelling companion, meeting interesting people at mealtimes is a large part of the appeal of a Cunard voyage. Laktex got it absolutely right when he said "Personally, the enjoyment of being with others far outweighs the different arrival times." In 11 voyages with Cunard, I have never had a dud table, which I think says a lot about the sort of people who travel with Cunard.

My original query was merely a question about sussing out the custom of the country, not a plea for advice on how to avoid a problem. Thanks again to those of you who responded in that spirit.

When you dine in the Grills, the time is strictly your choice. Now, they do have a posted hour range for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Anything within that range is your decision. Your table is yours for the duration. It will be ready for you when you are ready to eat. Sometimes, you many want something really quick. In that case, run past the Lido, grab something and you are on your way. Have a great trip.

I think the tables for 2 are perfect - close enough to chat to the next table(s), but easy to not chat too much if you don't want to.

The same for us, every time.

Edited by cinta

On most voyages in the Queens grill, I have have had a table for two, except on three occasions where a friend joined us and we were three at a table for four. I noticed other parties of four or more at other table and for the most part they seem to come and go as they please with out an agree upon meeting time and that did not seem to be a problem, certainly not for the staff which are very accommodating.

Edited by Bigmike911

On most voyages in the Queens grill, I have have had a table for two, except on three occasions where a friend joined us and we were three at a table for four. I noticed other parties of four or more at other table and for the most part they seem to come and go as they please with out an agree upon meeting time and that did not seem to be a problem, certainly not for the staff which are very accommodating.

As one who always chooses tables for eight or ten in QueensGrill, for the social aspect I would say an informal arrangement to dine at approximately the same time give or take fifteen minutes or so is the norm in our experience.

It doesn't necessarily happen every night due to excursions, parties and theatre productions, but I would say out of all our cruises (Diamond level ) this arrrangement failed to include most of the table on less than three cruises.

It doesn't matter in the slightest if diners decide to dine earlier or later but in choosing a large table, it kind of defeats the object if three or four couples dine together and one couple dines every night on their own, which is what happened on our last cruise.

I would add, that couple were Americans and they dined at six thirty pm, as soon as the restaurant opened. The rest of us were Europeans who dined around 7.45pm.

I have also found, it often depends on the type of cruise as to what the optimum time for a busy restaurant is.

• 2 months later...

We were attracted to the anytime dining too in the Brittania Club

As usual we got to chatting to people on various tables and lo and behold physcologically we got the feeling we should eat at the same time as most others do.So 7.30 every evening we trotted to the dining room....Now 7.30 is too early for us for dinner,we much prefer the second seating main dining room at 8.30....so reallly anytime dining is not quite what it seems...i must say though our companians were super...

Bad mannered? Nothing bad mannered about joining people who are already eating if you've chosen to dine at a large table. We always ask for the largest table in QG and it's been our experience, an informal arrangement is usually made to dine at roughly the same time as others which is usually between 7.30 and 8pm. This doesn't always follow though and some can already be on their entrée when you arrive. No problem. Just sit down and join in.

I agree. We had a table for 6 in PG and often ate at different times from our companions. There wasn't a problem at all. When we were all seated together, we have a good chat and a few laughs. There were no rules - you dine when it suits you. I'm sure you'll love it.