Oh no, another dress code question!

Adammara

Our cruise is getting very close now, and time to sort out our wardrobe. I find I have a pair of new dark grey chino's, are they acceptable for the informal evenings, along with an appropriate jacket and tie (might miss the tie first and last evening!). DJ has been cleaned, and still fits after it resting for 4 years! Really looking forward to getting dressed up again.

And another quick question, can't dance, but have the occasional 'smooch' if the opportunity arises, any likelihood of the possibility on QE?

Smart Chinos are perfectly acceptable with a jacket (tie optional).

Tux also perfect for Formal.

Not everyone on the dance floor in the Queens Room is up to the standard of "Strictly" and a wee shuffle around the floor is what most folk do.

There is also the disco, the Yacht Club, where anything goes.

Have fun.

Stewart

Edited by BigMac1953

Sounds perfectly acceptable to me :) I recently wrote a blog post about things I wish I knew before cruising with Cunard. (Like dress code is everywhere after 6pm which I had no idea about!!!) http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/09/05/8-things-you-should-know-before-cruising-with-cunard/

Have a brilliant cruise! Hope this helps :)

Our cruise is getting very close now, and time to sort out our wardrobe. I find I have a pair of new dark grey chino's, are they acceptable for the informal evenings, along with an appropriate jacket and tie (might miss the tie first and last evening!). DJ has been cleaned, and still fits after it resting for 4 years! Really looking forward to getting dressed up again.

And another quick question, can't dance, but have the occasional 'smooch' if the opportunity arises, any likelihood of the possibility on QE?

Chinos are fine. Just try to keep them not too wrinkled.

Sounds perfectly acceptable to me :) I recently wrote a blog post about things I wish I knew before cruising with Cunard. (Like dress code is everywhere after 6pm which I had no idea about!!!) http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/09/05/8-things-you-should-know-before-cruising-with-cunard/

Have a brilliant cruise! Hope this helps :)

Great information but your No 8, No corkage fee, is surely incorrect? To take wine to the restaurant there is indeed a hefty corkage fee :)

Great information but your No 8, No corkage fee, is surely incorrect? To take wine to the restaurant there is indeed a hefty corkage fee :)

The fee is only US$ 20.00 :)

The nominal fee includes the collection of the chosen red wine from stateroom, store, open, decant and allow to air for correct time, present best glassware, serve and dispose of empty. :)

• 3 weeks later...
personally speaking having just had 2 weeks on QE with this new informal DC i think it is a NO from me re chinos

I take it DC is Dress Code? Not heard about the new DC, is it across the fleet? I thought Dress Code for the MDR at dinner is on non formal nights..jacket, collared shirt with tie optional and long trousers. For formal nights, tuxedo-dinner suit or dark business suit and tie?

I would certainly wear chinos, collared shirt (perhaps even a nicep olo shirt !!)with no tie and a blazer (Bermuda jacket) on non formal nights, perfectly acceptable to me and Cunard, but perhaps not to Cunard Traditionalists. Move with the times, ladies and gentlemen.

Edited by NSWP

I take it DC is Dress Code? Not heard about the new DC, is it across the fleet? I thought Dress Code for the MDR at dinner is on non formal nights..jacket, collared shirt with tie optional and long trousers. For formal nights, tuxedo-dinner suit or dark business suit and tie?

I would certainly wear chinos, collared shirt (perhaps even a nicep olo shirt !!)with no tie and a blazer (Bermuda jacket) on non formal nights, perfectly acceptable to me and Cunard, but perhaps not to Cunard Traditionalists. Move with the times, ladies and gentlemen.

If we did that, then "nice jeans", "clean t-shirt", and "good baseball hat" would be the norm. :mad:

If we did that, then "nice jeans", "clean t-shirt", and "good baseball hat" would be the norm. :mad:

Could happen one day my friend, on Carnival Spirit and P&O Australia fleet operating from Australia, that is the norm in the MDR, things have really slipped there. Not for me, I am middle of the road, a bit of decorum.

And the answer is?

I'm the OP, and in the end I bought a pair of 'proper' trousers! Used the chino's in the daytime.

I also wore a jacket and tie on the informal evenings, even on the last night, one of just a handful doing so.

In general about 98-99% followed the code, just the odd transgressor.

Now trying to find the 'right' cruise for 2017!

Thanks for reporting back, will that 2017 cruise be on Cunard?

Without doubt!

Management has decreed that nothing less than a Cunard Princess Grill will do in future! (I agree!) It was the most wonderful experience, and one we hope to repeat.

We came home to a leaking flat roof, and a non functioning boiler, and a message from my builder that the job he was going to do mid October would actually start 2 days after we got back! It was panic stations... still waiting for a price for a new roof, which will decide how long a cruise we take.

Richard

Each year a Celebrity ship (I think) has a cruise round the caribbean where there is, literally, no dress code ie it is for naturists/nudists. Try dressing down from that starting point!
Do Celebrity ships have a self-serve laundry (with steamers/irons to get stubborn wrinkles/creases out)?

:D

Edited by pepperrn

Perhaps YOU should seek another line. It's the traditional dress code that attracts the Cunard traveler. I've seen plenty of younger pax properly dressed, so we know it's not a dying tradition.

Perhaps YOU should seek another line. It's the traditional dress code that attracts the Cunard traveler. I've seen plenty of younger pax properly dressed, so we know it's not a dying tradition.

Crikey, Keith, please take it easy on prospective passengers! The older ranks of rowers are hanging up their oars and we need to fill the ranks. :D

Happy Shavuot,

Salacia

Crikey, Keith, please take it easy on prospective passengers! The older ranks of rowers are hanging up their oars and we need to fill the ranks. :D

Happy Shavuot,

Salacia

Dress Code is rarely a problem on board so the discussions here are more theoretical and deal with minutiae. if you forget to bring a jacket to dinner, the assistant maitre will remind you sometimes. As to formal nights, if you've got a tie, jacket and slacks you can pass and the tie can be pretty loose around the neck and top button unbuttoned if you really do not like constricting clothing. There are no shoe or sock police. There is a significant number of passengers who view the QM2 as transportation on the TA runs as they do not like to fly. Hope this helps.