Boo. Only 2 formal nights on a 10 night voyage.

Pushka

We are on the following Dubai Southampton leg and only 6 of the 20 nights are shown as being formal even though there are 12 sea days. It seems that about 2 per week is the ratio being used now. It was more than that on the World Cruise we did in 2009. I have just completed an on line questionnaire that seemed to have questions about dress code which appeared to be heavily biased towards casual evening dress styles. I was left with the impression that the marketing department seem to believe there is pressure to reduce formal dress evenings because the questions seemed to be biased in that direction.

I would be very disappointed if Cunard moved to having less formal nights. That is one of the main reasons I like the line and something I look forward to.

It might even be a deciding factor if I was considering two similar cruises as Cunard do charge rather a premium.

If one reads postings on other cruise lines, one realizes that the vast majority of Americans and even others are not into attire much above basic work clothes. While Cunard has only three ships to fill, the temptation is to head down market with their efforts rather than hold the line to attract the last of the top of the market that appreciates finer living in a traditional sense.

The main brand of the parent corporation has slide so far down market in their offerings that there are McDonald's here and there that offer better ambiance. Maybe it is time for a mega investor to take over the Cunard brand and steer it back to its former level of tradition.

It is so easy to sway the wording of questionnaires to get the result you want and then you hear the phrases "we have listened to your feedback blah blah". Formality and Cunard go hand in hand. There is no point in talking about tradition and style and then go down market casual. The three Queens do not do casual well. It is the wrong ambience for the style of ships they are.

It is so easy to sway the wording of questionnaires to get the result you want and then you hear the phrases "we have listened to your feedback blah blah". Formality and Cunard go hand in hand. There is no point in talking about tradition and style and then go down market casual. The three Queens do not do casual well. It is the wrong ambience for the style of ships they are.

Agreed, 1000%!

Let's face it, folks, it really is becoming "Carnivard".

When will they add the water slides? :eek:

We are on the following Dubai Southampton leg and only 6 of the 20 nights are shown as being formal even though there are 12 sea days. It seems that about 2 per week is the ratio being used now. It was more than that on the World Cruise we did in 2009. I have just completed an on line questionnaire that seemed to have questions about dress code which appeared to be heavily biased towards casual evening dress styles. I was left with the impression that the marketing department seem to believe there is pressure to reduce formal dress evenings because the questions seemed to be biased in that direction.

So true. Any questionnaire can be rigged to get the desired outcome. When formal nights are reduced it starts a downward spiral: It will not seem "worth it" to pack formal wear for so few evenings.

Interesting comment on another forum section: On Celebrity - which replaced formal for "evening chic" - the Captain and officers no longer entertain in the main dining room but in one of the specialty restaurants. Evidently the grand sense of occasion is gone when "chic" is the good pair of jeans and the nice baseball hat.

What does Cunard want to be? Another P&O or Princess? How does if justify higher fares if one can get the same services and atmosphere for less?

Olympus has fallen.

Edited by BlueRiband

What does Cunard want to be? Another P&O or Princess? How does if justify higher fares if one can get the same services and atmosphere for less?

Olympus has fallen.

That's my point exactly; Cunard charges a hefty premium as a mainstream cruise line and one of the real points of difference, which made it worthwhile for many (me included), was the ambience that the large number of formal nights gave. Reduce these and I start to weigh up where to spend my money. Princess does a good job, Celebrity is OK and the P&O UK ship I have tried was fine; food was good and interesting specialty restaurants for a lower fare in many cases.

Yes. Personaliser updated recently. M7141 on April 8 2017. I was hoping for at least 3 if not 4. :(

We have 4 formals on QM2, Syd-HK, 16 nights. You can have my formals, I don't much care for them. Two would be adequate. OK for the Brits who embark and disembark at ye olde Port of Southampton, but we colonials have to use those infernal flying machines at some point, weight restrictions !!

As for reducing dress codes in the future, removal of the tie requirement on non formal nights was a start, hate those ties, they strangle moi !!

Stand by for incoming !!! LOL.

Edited by NSWP

That's my point exactly; Cunard charges a hefty premium as a mainstream cruise line and one of the real points of difference, which made it worthwhile for many (me included), was the ambience that the large number of formal nights gave. Reduce these and I start to weigh up where to spend my money. Princess does a good job, Celebrity is OK and the P&O UK ship I have tried was fine; food was good and interesting specialty restaurants for a lower fare in many cases.

I agree with you regarding formal nights. One of the reasons I cruise with Cunard. They do charge a hefty price but I think, and I do stand to be corrected, but they do not put as many passengers on QE and QV as do Princess, Celebrity which has some same sized ships. I did the half world cruise in 2014 and we were halfway across the Pacific, so obviously a sea day and everyone was on board, and I said to Reception "are we sailing half full and her reply was No, completely full" I have never found the ships to be crowded and never had to fight to get a sunbed.

We have 4 formals on QM2, Syd-HK, 16 nights. You can have my formals, I don't much care for them. Two would be adequate. OK for the Brits who embark and disembark at ye olde Port of Southampton, but we colonials have to use those infernal flying machines at some point, weight restrictions !!

As for reducing dress codes in the future, removal of the tie requirement on non formal nights was a start, hate those ties, they strangle moi !!

Stand by for incoming !!! LOL.

OK, I'll bite. Assuming you're being serious rather than joking, this really is such a hackneyed argument, and simply doesn't stack up. A few years ago we sailed from Vancouver to Alaska, which involved flights from Heathrow and a change of flights in Seattle on the way back. I took a tux, my wife took her formal dresses, and we managed perfectly well with a check-in case and a carry-on each, and that included all the different kinds of clothes you need for Alaska. And when we go to Sydney and New Zealand on QM2 in Feb 2018, we will again be flying from London, and again taking formalwear. It's not about luggage or flying, it's about a mindset.

OK, I'll bite. Assuming you're being serious rather than joking, this really is such a hackneyed argument, and simply doesn't stack up. A few years ago we sailed from Vancouver to Alaska, which involved flights from Heathrow and a change of flights in Seattle on the way back. I took a tux, my wife took her formal dresses, and we managed perfectly well with a check-in case and a carry-on each, and that included all the different kinds of clothes you need for Alaska. And when we go to Sydney and New Zealand on QM2 in Feb 2018, we will again be flying from London, and again taking formalwear. It's not about luggage or flying, it's about a mindset.

Exactly. I spent a pretty penny to send a bag containing my formal wear by White Star from NY to Hamburg. Formal nights are a big reason why I sail Cunard when I have multiple cruise ship choices available to me out of New York.

Booking Cunard when one doesn't care to dress for dinner is like booking Disney when one doesn't care to be on a ship full of young children.

We completed the questionnaire a couple weeks ago. Our responses supported the current dress code. I felt that opinions about attire was only a part of information Cunard was seeking from past customers. At the same time, I was grateful that they asked. It gave an opportunity to have our feelings known by Cunard.

Our experience during segments (much longer than 10 days) was (as David mentioned) nightly dress was decided on the ship.

I sympathize with Pushka. Boo indeed!

Jimmybean

Well said and a tie can be rolled up and put in a pocket. The only reason men don't like ties is they buy the wrong size shirts. Buy properly and you will not know you have a tie on. Plus if one wears their blazer or suit jacket on the plane that leaves room in the bag for the tux. Try dressing for the plane and see if you do not receive better service from the Taxi driver, the porter and the flight attendant than the guy in the sweaty gym suit.

Well said and a tie can be rolled up and put in a pocket. The only reason men don't like ties is they buy the wrong size shirts. Buy properly and you will not know you have a tie on. Plus if one wears their blazer or suit jacket on the plane that leaves room in the bag for the tux. Try dressing for the plane and see if you do not receive better service from the Taxi driver, the porter and the flight attendant than the guy in the sweaty gym suit.

I could never understand why a man would complain about wearing a jacket to dinner in the first place.:confused: Many men prefer to wear one when traveling as it provides plenty of pockets for travel documentation. A wallet and passport is safer in an inside breast pocket than in a trouser back pocket.