Solo traveler

scorpiony

I am thinking about taking a 22 day South American cruise on the Insignia in November and I'm wondering about the singles activities.

I just finished 3 weeks on Regent Seven Seas cruising the Middle East from Dubai to Barcelona and it was fantastic as they went out of their way to have singles meetings and diners every night. The entertainers even joined us for dinners.

I have a cruise on August 10th on Silversea out of Venice. When I sailed with them last year on the Spirit they also tried to get singles together, but it was like pulling teeth as only a couple of people would show nightly for a cocktails and dinner get together.

I totally understand that women who travel together usually hang together and don't seem to want to meet other solo travelers which surprises me as we're together for an extended period of time.

Cruise lines are wising up that solo travelers are growing and have lowered their excessive supplemental charges. Now they need to try to get us together.

I have a cruise on August 10th on Silversea out of Venice. When I sailed with them last year on the Spirit they also tried to get singles together, but it was like pulling teeth as only a couple of people would show nightly for a cocktails and dinner get together.

They did have a cocktail gathering for solo travellers as well as a dinner but I do not think it was nightly as we (my dh) dined with a nice solo lady & another with her & another solo lady

Most of the time they were seated at a regular table & one lady said she prefered that to just dining with solo's

YMMV

My experience with Oceania gibes with Lyn's -- we've seen get-togethers for singles announced but definitely not every night.

Still, if you don't see them you can ask the CD or social hostess to schedule them. And I would simply ask to share a table at dinners. I remember one night (this was on Renaissance) when I had to go to dinner alone because DH had been eating TOO much TOO often. I ended up at a table for 8 -- or was it 7? :) -- and we had a lovely evening.

As for me, we like share with other passengers at mealtimes -- we eat home alone every night at home! And we don't care if those others are couples or singles.

On our first Oceania cruise there were a number of meet and greets for singles. One woman saw another man and cut him out for herself -- asked if he'd like to join her for dinner on Valentine's Day (which he did). They became a real couple. I'd love to know if the romance continued because she lived in England and he lived in California ... or vice versa.

Also, on a cruise a few years ago I was handling the Meet and Greet and noticed a gentleman was traveling alone, so I asked him if he would like to join us for dinner one night. He did ... but he brought along a lady friend he'd met on board.

It happens ... (not that I think you are necessarily looking for a love match!)

Mura

Thank you for your reply it is appreciated. I've joined large tables and have always enjoyed myself as I am very outgoing. You're right I'm not looking for love, but who knows maybe I find a traveling companion for future trips and then we both save going forward.

Thanks for your reply it is appreciated. I know exactly why the lady preferred not sitting with other solos. I've had to change my seat when some people are looking for sympathy because they are now single even though their loss happened years ago. I enjoy a good conversation and learning about people.

Oceania is not usually generous with respect to discounts for solo travelers. Lately however they have been offering discounts for solo travelers on specific cruises. A good Oceania ta can help you sort it out

Hello, I am considering a cruise with Oceania. Do solo travelers pay a 100% more in Oceania or is there a solo discount?

"There will be a charge for single occupancy of 200% of the double occupancy suite or stateroom fare. Please call reservations for current promotions."

My sister paid 200% for her single last year - brutal! But as stated, sometimes there are promos so you might get lucky. It's worth checking on if you'd like to try Oceania.

Hello, I am considering a cruise with Oceania. Do solo travelers pay a 100% more in Oceania or is there a solo discount?

They do have special offers on specific sailings

just check the Offers page there may be an itinerary that suits you

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/special-offers/single-supplement/

Edited by LHT28

Check the offers, sometimes you can pay less. Mom has a reservation for next summer where the singles supplement is at 25% BUT (big BUT) there is a clause in the booking that indicates that it could increase - I'm assuming if the ship sells out.

They do have special offers on specific sailings

just check the Offers page there may be an itinerary that suits you

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/special-offers/single-supplement/

Thanks for the information! I have looked at the page and the offers go only until September this year. Maybe they discount for solos only when itineraries are not selling. Something like a last minute?

Thanks for the information! I have looked at the page and the offers go only until September this year. Maybe they discount for solos only when itineraries are not selling. Something like a last minute?

I guess it also depends on the area you are interested in

They have discounts on sailings up Dec '16 (did you check pages 2 & 3) that in include the Med & South America

Keep checking the offers

Edited by LHT28