Marina Cooking Classes

HollyK777

any opinions on whether the cooking classes are worthwhile?

The Classes are unique and wonderful, but worthwhile is such a subjective word.

marina-bon-appetit-culinary-center.jpg

I can tell you that time spent in the Culinary Center is fun, interesting and informative-even that the Classes were some of the most memorable afternoons that I have ever spent on a cruise ship-, but they are not anything to do with real education or even lessons in technique. If pressed, I would describe them as a hands on demonstration with the labor intensive parts of the recipe pre-prepped.

When every passenger may buy in, with nary a discussion of skill level or aptitude in the kitchen, it cannot be anything more than an entertainment.

Good, solid entertainment, but still a diversion as opposed to anything more lofty.

It all depends on you.....that is what is your level of cooking experience/training etc is ...... AND what is it you expect to get from the class?

I thats it in a nutshell...

Its what you make of it. If you go expecting to master some form of cuisine or learn a new technique.... NO If you think it would be a fun 2 hours to play around with food concepts.... Yes.

The classes include recipes, some very good solid basic professional cooking concepts good for any one and some very simple sample recipes you make...stuff than in 15 min start to finish. There are no complex dishes... you will mot be making Bearnaise or Souffle

A lot of things are given to you pre-prep. In the case of pasta the dough is already made.... you just roll it our and plop it in the water...

You are teamed up with another student, have your own work station with all the equipment needed for that class. There is staff to wash stuff.

We both take the classes and enjoy them.

The challenge for the instructor is the varying skill/knowledge level of the students.

Thus, the beginning of each class includes some very basic things like knife safety, which former students or accomplished home cooks have already memorized.

On the other hand, we have often come away from a class with some new twist on technique or understanding of ingredients that allows us to apply the lessons of a large food service operation to the home environment.

It's also fun for couples, particularly since pre-prep and cleanup are taken care of by the staff.

Wife and I greatly enjoyed our classes on th e Marina during our French Polynesia cruise last year. It was a fun diversion and getting the recipes for some of our favorite dishes was a bonus. As said above, much of the prep work is done and you aren't going to learn any fancy techniques. The classes have to fit the lowest common denominator;)

The classes have to fit the lowest common denominator;)

That is a pretty condescending comment :eek:

Yes they need to appeal to those with basic cooking skills not just to those in the TOP CHEF category

It's a fun hour or two. We like to cook, we know a lot about cooking, and yes we do learn a few things at the class---but we enjoy it. So it's really up to you, but I think at the end of class you'll want to do another. The only think I don't like are the early classes---little to early for me.

Thanks to all of you for your comments! I think I'll try one! Since I want to use shipboard credit, I was told I can't book until I'm aboard, so hopefully there will be room!

That's a judgement call that you'll have to make for yourself, i.e. run the risk of missing the Class altogether in order to use onboard credit or pay up front to insure yourself a place.

There are people who meld the two processes, meaning they pay for the class now, then cancel once onboard and re-book it using the credit, but that only works if the Class is not sold out pre-cruise.

I have taken a few of them. They are very well done and practical. If you never really cook it might inspire you. I took the pasta class (Past from Scratch), a French Class (we made Quiche and a salad dressing) and a healthy cooking class with Canyon Ranch Spa recipes. One recipe from the healthy cooking class is a Muesli and I make it regularly.

You are paired with a partner. Frank took the Pasta Class with me. I bought all the gadgets and he actually will help me make it. I took the Canyon Ranch Class alone.

I took most of the classes from Chef Kelly on Riviera - she's great. We had a different teacher on the Marina and she was also very good but a different style.

• 1 month later...

The classes are fun, they are entertaining and not trying to teach you anything serious. But even in the entertainment you will always find a little something if value you might not have known or a myth dispelled. Its a social and fun get together, wit a bit of knowledge sprinkled about.

If your a serious student, who is intent on attending a focused training class then your going to be both frustrated and angry.... It is not for you....go take a real class of a week or more at a serious culinary school, Cordon Blu, CIA, CCA, etc.