Times are changing

silkman

Just thought this might be an interesting addendum to the Oceania dress code threads....On the front page of the WSJ today there was an article "Dress Like a Banker" ..."J.P. Morgan Swaps Pinstripes For Capri Pants and Khakis".

Acceptable dress are sweaters and polo shirts and casual pants for men,and capris, dresses and skirts for women.

Many companies , as well as cruise lines and resorts are beginning to value their employees (and guests) comfort over old traditions (IMO)..a concept that Oceania caught onto a while ago.

When we disembarked Marina in Lisbon earlier this week, my comments included the following statement "THE CASUAL DRESS CODE HAS GONE TOO FAR!"

Baggy faded jeans with white tennis shoes in Polo.....man wearing a fishing hat in Red Ginger....woman in baggy cargo pants with hiking boots in Tuscano....many, many men wearing baseball caps in GDR, Martini's, etc. Lots and lots of really sloppy attire. The females in general were far better dressed than their male counterparts.

My husband wears black jeans with a sports coat and I've been known to wear white jeans with a long tunic top but things really were out of hand on this cruise.

When we disembarked Marina in Lisbon earlier this week, my comments included the following statement "THE CASUAL DRESS CODE HAS GONE TOO FAR!"

May be time for Oceania to re name the dress code & leave out the word CASUAL ;)

You can wear nice casual wear without looking homeless

I am on the riviera right now. Almost everyone looks dressy in the evening. I did see a man arguing last night about the dress code. He showed up in a T with shorts... They politely asked him to change. He was not happy. I did not stick around to see the outcome but he was dressed for a day at the beach. Many men are in jackets, others in nice shirts. I can't really see the bottom half while sitting but the top half looked fine on everyone

I am on the riviera right now. Almost everyone looks dressy in the evening. I did see a man arguing last night about the dress code. He showed up in a T with shorts... They politely asked him to change. He was not happy. I did not stick around to see the outcome but he was dressed for a day at the beach. Many men are in jackets, others in nice shirts. I can't really see the bottom half while sitting but the top half looked fine on everyone

Hope they stuck to their guns and made him change. Should not dress like that for dinner except maybe the terrace outside.

Thanks silkman for your post. It is true that things are changing but certainly not to the point where people need to wear jeans with holes (even though fashionable at the moment) or shorts to dinner. Really think that Oceania needs to rethink their "dress jeans" policy because too many people don't understand the concept.

I have said it before and will say it again , " it's just not cricket "

I wore a jacket every evening , with a shirt of the proper tailored sort , some times a tie and some times cuff links and smart shoes .

Purchased 2 pairs of shoes in Italy including a snazzy pink nubuck pair ! Which I did wear in 2 of the restaurants !

But never JEANS , no what the matter the description .

Baggy faded jeans with white tennis shoes in Polo.....man wearing a fishing hat in Red Ginger....woman in baggy cargo pants with hiking boots in Tuscano....many, many men wearing baseball caps in GDR, Martini's, etc. Lots and lots of really sloppy attire. The females in general were far better dressed than their male counterparts.

My husband wears black jeans with a sports coat and I've been known to wear white jeans with a long tunic top but things really were out of hand on this cruise.

Do you think that some of this represents the "new blood" of Oceania, many of whom have moved on from mass market lines where that dress code is more common?

I do not remember this being such a problem in the past.

Just wondering.

Edited by Paulchili

As the OP says , times they are changing . Doe sent mean one has to approve or join in .

Oceania, will have to change accordingly or die , not many establishments can just ignore changing styles and survive.

It's shame I suppose , or dare I say a consequence of age , although personally I do try and avoid "greyness and beigeness"

"Dress jeans" is an oxymoron anyway. That's like saying "casual tuxedo."

Listen, Some people pay more for their casual jeans than I pay for my tuxedo, so they think they are entitled to wear them everywhere. Just not my taste.

As the OP says , times they are changing . Doe sent mean one has to approve or join in .

Oceania, will have to change accordingly or die , not many establishments can just ignore changing styles and survive.

It's shame I suppose , or dare I say a consequence of age , although personally I do try and avoid "greyness and beigeness"

I can't totally avoid greyness (or grayness) or I'd have to change my hair and I have earned every one of these lovelies on my head! ;)

Celebrate the greyness of your head and the fact you are not challenged folic ally.

I am sure the thatch on my bonce is not what it used to be ! And the colour is not uniformly fair , hints of pepper and salt . Who cares !

It's amazing how things can change from one cruise to the other.

We were on the Marina on the cruise immediately before yours - Lima to NY and found that people seemed to 'dress up' for dinner in the GDR and the specialty restaurants.

I didn't notice anyone in these venues that was dressed as described by Newbie so had we continued on the next segment, I guess we would have been a bit surprised by the change. :D

Thanks silkman for your post. It is true that things are changing but certainly not to the point where people need to wear jeans with holes (even though fashionable at the moment) or shorts to dinner. Really think that Oceania needs to rethink their "dress jeans" policy because too many people don't understand the concept.

I agree that things have not changed to the point where people should wear jeans with holes or shorts to dinner.

Obviously there will always be those those who try to stretch the rules. Probably there are people on the "luxury" lines who even try. After all, the only requirement to book a luxury line cruise is $$ which does not always equate with "class" (as in "classy"). Even though it has been pointed out on this thread that some Oceania cruisers wear unacceptable jeans, it seems that most understand the term "dress jeans" and abide by the Oceania dress code.

I have said it before and will say it again , " it's just not cricket "

I wore a jacket every evening , with a shirt of the proper tailored sort , some times a tie and some times cuff links and smart shoes .

Purchased 2 pairs of shoes in Italy including a snazzy pink nubuck pair ! Which I did wear in 2 of the restaurants !

But never JEANS , no what the matter the description .

Of course, everyone is entitled to wear what they want (within Oceania's dress code). I am sure you look very sharp in your pink Italian shoes. My preference might be my black Zenga jeans (no holes) with a nice shirt. I certainly would not be offended by your jacket tie and cuff links , and I would hope you would not be by my "casual" outfit. Life is too short to worry about trivialities. Better to enjoy the company and great food at dinner , and feel comfortable with how you feel in what you are wearing, and not be a member of the "fashion police".

Of course, everyone is entitled to wear what they want (within Oceania's dress code). I am sure you look very sharp in your pink Italian shoes. My preference might be my black Zenga jeans (no holes) with a nice shirt. I certainly would not be offended by your jacket tie and cuff links , and I would hope you would not be by my "casual" outfit. Life is too short to worry about trivialities. Better to enjoy the company and great food at dinner , and feel comfortable with how you feel in what you are wearing, and not be a member of the "fashion police".

Well said.

We like to 'dress up' when on a cruise as we both have jobs that have regulatory uniforms.Then on days off we are with grandchildren,gardening or shopping! I have 'cruise' dresses that I feel very comfortable and confident in..

I really look forward to getting changed for dinner on any cruise ship and I really don't bother with whatever others choose to wear.I do however hate people blowing their noses in their serviette!😀

Well said.

We like to 'dress up' when on a cruise as we both have jobs that have regulatory uniforms.Then on days off we are with grandchildren,gardening or shopping! I have 'cruise' dresses that I feel very comfortable and confident in..

I really look forward to getting changed for dinner on any cruise ship and I really don't bother with whatever others choose to wear.I do however hate people blowing their noses in their serviette!😀

My number one pet peeve. What is it with people that they think this is acceptable, ordinary dinner etiquette? How bout those fellows that use their trusty pocket hankies for honking their snoz, then putting it back in their pocket to use again? :eek: Probably the same ones that are always talking about people that don't wash their hands or use the sanitizers, yet think this is okay. To me it's the height of bad manners, I'd rather see someone eat with their fingers.

While I agree with the last two posters, it begs the question........ if you need to wipe your nose and it can't wait until you get to a bathroom, what is one suppose to do? I keep tissues in my handbag and use them but obviously have to put the now used tissues back into my handbag (much the same as men returning hankies to their pocket.

P.S. Didn't know that men still used hankies (except in their tuxedo or suit pockets).

Edited by Travelcat2