Riviera Wi Fi

RJB

I don't think so. I just disembarked Riviera on 6/9 and for most of the cruise the wi-fi was ridiculously slow to the point of being un-useable. I heard many others saying the same thing.

Ditto for the May-June cruise. We had two iPhones and two iPads. We had the "unlimited" wifi as part of our package. This is just false advertising, because in no sense is this unlimited.

First, it is a real struggle just to log on to the satellite. We were literally wandering around the stateroom in search of an acceptable signal. (Here, by the coffee table? No, here, by the bed.)

Once you are finally logged on, you may or may not be able to send and receive emails, photos, messages. For the most part, they simply will not be delivered. And forget about using your device on the veranda. No reception.

Then there is the limit of one device at a time per stateroom. Terrific. (Have you logged off yet? Not sure. Can't get a signal.)

We knew it was bad, but we weren't sure how bad till we checked into our post-cruise hotel in Barcelona and two weeks of emails, photos and videos came flooding in on the hotel's wifi. And we were finally able to send and receive photos too.

The entire cruise we kept wondering about those poor souls who were paying for Internet by the minute. They would have been even worse off than the rest of us.

We loved our cruise and will go again, but this situation is unacceptable and a fix is overdue.

I just got off the Riviera on June 9th also. The internet was frustrating. It was down most of the time and other times crawling at a snails pace.... Like dial up years ago... Useless internet! Glad I had it for free. No one would pay money for this internet. It is the worst of any ship I have ever been on.

Ditto for the May-June cruise. We had two iPhones and two iPads. We had the "unlimited" wifi as part of our package. This is just false advertising, because in no sense is this unlimited.

First, it is a real struggle just to log on to the satellite. We were literally wandering around the stateroom in search of an acceptable signal. (Here, by the coffee table? No, here, by the bed.)

That may well be the problem.

Too many passengers on unlimited wifi packages.

In January I had no problem whatsoever...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2016/01/31/oceania-riviera-mayan-mystique/

20093072569_72b4f39e21_z.jpg

...or someone may suggest we sailed in a good area.

Edited by Solent Richard

That may well be the problem.

Too many passengers on unlimited wifi packages.

Totally agree.

This free internet is useless as EVERYONE is on ALL the time. Can you imagine how much worse it would be if you could have 2 or 3 devices on for the same account as someone wanted to have?

It was better (as in faster) when people had to pay for it and were more judicious with their use. I didn't mind paying for it when I wanted, it as long as it worked reasonably well.

JMO

Totally agree.

This free internet is useless as EVERYONE is on ALL the time. Can you imagine how much worse it would be if you could have 2 or 3 devices on for the same account as someone wanted to have?

It was better (as in faster) when people had to pay for it and were more judicious with their use. I didn't mind paying for it when I wanted, it as long as it worked reasonably well.

JMO

I agree

Regatta was slow most times

too many people online too much

I think I used less than 400 min for the 3 wks onboard

I wait until I get home to upload photos & am not on FB so need to share :D

I primarily use the internet on board for downloading email and uploading photos. But once I've gotten my mail or the photos are uploaded, I log off. I do this even when the internet is "free". I haven't had a problem with internet speed but I don't think we've been onboard since oLife introduced so much free internet. I'll see in a few weeks what the situation is. Then again, we'll be on Nautica which only has half the passengers that Riviera and Marina do.

Mura

I just got off the Riviera on June 9th also. The internet was frustrating. It was down most of the time and other times crawling at a snails pace.... Like dial up years ago... Useless internet! Glad I had it for free. No one would pay money for this internet. It is the worst of any ship I have ever been on.

Agree completely, and the point really isn't whether some people are over-using it, or "hogging" it in ways some people (who were not there) disapprove of. I don't even think it was possible to play games, or whatever, considering how slow and unreliable it was. We were lucky to get an email off to our kids to let them know we were on board!

The point is, we were sold a perk, and it was not provided as promised. It was not *FREE*!!!!! It was part of a package that was sold to us, that we paid for, and did not get in any meaningful way. Nor did anyone else on the ship, including especially those poor wretches who had the misfortune to be paying by the minute.

You can explain it away but you cannot excuse it.

I understand the frustration of not being able to use a "free" service. I wasn't there, so I can't say anything about the service recently.

All I can talk about is what I have experienced in the past. Yes, originally internet everywhere (which was always on a fee basis) was very slow. Using the internet the way I do I wasn't terribly bothered but I won't deny that I would at times use internet cafes on land which gave much faster service.

More recently we have been on Marina and our last 3 cruises had "free" internet (again pre-oLife) and I had no objections to the speed. Then again, I don't surf the net when on board ...

I can see that if everyone on board (or at least a lot more people than used to use the internet) is online, it's going to slow everyone down. As I said before, I'll await to see what happens on Nautica next week.

I don't think I saw any comments "excusing" the problem ... many of us haven't experienced it. But I do doubt that it would only be pertinent to Riviera.

It's ironic that in O's early days there were constant complaints about the internet speed. Then it improved a lot -- to at least tolerable levels. And now it seems that the constant complaints have returned.

Maybe it's true that the "free" internet should be dispensed with until and unless the ships get truly fast service ... which is harder to do with satellite service than with a good cable line on land.

Mura

Edited by Mura

When you get the free internet package it is for one log-on. If you log on with your phone, then your husband can't log on. Only one device and connection at a time.... We would log on with our device and would find ourselves logged out in a few minutes. Many times there just was no internet, it was just down. Confirmed this by calling and asking guest services.

We have kids, 25 ,22,and 19. We like to keep in touch with them while in Europe using email or Whatsapp, a texting program. Both options use almost no bandwidth. It really was not possible to send or receive an email or text... That is basic and should work sometimes.... messages timed out trying to send them.

Edited by dasi11

Currently on Riviera and wifi terribly slow. Some sites just do not load at all, others which do are really slow. I log on to the ship's wifi on my iPad and my husband (who is less patient) logs on to any in port wifi on his phone and he is always much more successful in down loading any websites or emails than I am. I am told the wifi here will be upgraded at end June, not before.

Have to agree, the wifi was the only negative about our trip. Just returned from a 10 day on the Riviera. We got the "unlimited" "free" wifi and it was impossible. Yes, only one device/one connection at a time. We had our iPad with all our email accounts and each had an iPhone with our own contacts. Even though we logged out of one device before we tried logging in with another, we repeatedly got the message that we were already on line and thus could not log in.

Most of the time that we were able to log in, the connection was lost and we had to continually log in again several times during one session. The rest of the time, the response time was so slow that we would just give up and wait until we were in port.

I sent texts while on wi fi that were never delivered. My sister emailed me to ask me why I was not responding to her texts (that I never received). But the most aggravating was the last night when trying to check in to our airline reservation and print our boarding passes. We couldn't get in, so we went to the computer room to get help from the tech. There are limited hours so we had to return before dinner. The room was full of people waiting for help and using the computers there, which also weren't working well. We were unable to get help before our dinner reservation so we returned after dinner when the tech help was gone.

After several attempts we were able to get on line using the ship computer, but when we tried to print or email the boarding pass, the connection failed. According to the computer, the server stopped responding. My husband called down to the desk and was told there was no one available to re-boot the computer. It seems the night before disembarkation Oceania should ensure assistance is available for people who have to check or confirm arrangements or check in and print boarding passes. Oh and for a ship that offers so many perks, like no extra fee specialty restaurants and non-alcoholic drinks included, to find out they charge .25 a page to print your boarding pass seemed pretty chintzy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I no longer waste time & energy to print boarding passes from the ship

You can get them at the airport anyway

Last night of the cruise it is so frustrating just getting online

We do check in online as soon as we can with the airline but just leave the boarding passes

As for paying for printing... a few years back some people were doing work from the ship & were using the free printing for their business papers & not just a couple of sheets

so Oceania started charging for printing...chinzty maybe or maybe not

When people take advantage of a good thing they ruin for others that abide by the rules

Edited by LHT28

Back to the internet issue, at least here it seems that the complaints about service are solely about Riviera (unless I missed something which is always possible). Does anyone know if the problems are fleetwide or not? I would think all of the ships would be having the same problems ...

I sent texts while on wi fi that were never delivered. My sister emailed me to ask me why I was not responding to her texts (that I never received). But the most aggravating was the last night when trying to check in to our airline reservation and print our boarding passes. We couldn't get in, so we went to the computer room to get help from the tech. There are limited hours so we had to return before dinner. The room was full of people waiting for help and using the computers there, which also weren't working well. We were unable to get help before our dinner reservation so we returned after dinner when the tech help was gone.

Sounds like the problem may have actually gotten worse since our Riviera cruise in May. Oceania surely must be aware of these complaints by now. You would think that, at the very least, they would increase the hours that the helper is available in the computer center. On our cruise, I think he was there approximately 3 hours in the morning and 3 hours in the afternoon. People were lining up and waiting for him to make an appearance. Not a great way to spend half your afternoon.

We just disembarked Riveria. If it's upgraded one wouldn't know it. Dropped pretty consistently, very very slow experience when it was working. Only one device at a time allowed so always wondered which decide was still logged in.

On Marina now. Very hard to get registered to use the Internet service, and very frustrating to use it. Very few of my text messages to family are delivered. Hard to download daily newspaper (WSJ). [emoji34]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On Marina now. Very hard to get registered to use the Internet service, and very frustrating to use it. Very few of my text messages to family are delivered. Hard to download daily newspaper (WSJ). [emoji34]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Do they give you any answers as to when it will get better? Or will it not? Sounds like O sold us something they can not deliver. Not right. :(:(:(

could be it was upgraded but with free internet for all & people uploading photos daily, talking to family & friends online real time & downloading newspapers & work projects it would eat up the bandwidth fast

Bring back the pay for use ;)

I believe the problems are unrealistic expectations on the part of the passengers. Even with an upgrade it's still somewhere between a good dial up speed and the DSL service from the phone company many of us used to have.

Most people are used to the high speed service from their cable and expect that everywhere they go.

The service on the ships are not designed for all the stuff people are used to, streaming video, uploading and downloading photos or graphic heavy pages.

Did Oceania promise anyone high speed internet?

I don't think so, they promised unlimited. It's satellite internet folks and you have to deal with the limitations.

Here's a edit from their webpage;

Please be advised that bandwidth-heavy applications such as Skype, YouTube, and MagicJack are not available. Service and speed will vary depending on the location of the ship and time of day.

Edited by ORV