Special private charter

KaraokeQueen

nfcu,

Why do you believe that most players will have their families with them?

Jeff

Last week I saw a couple of the men's team players being interviewed on TV and they mentioned that their families would be with them in Rio. I'm sure not everyone will do this though.

Last week I saw a couple of the men's team players being interviewed on TV and they mentioned that their families would be with them in Rio. I'm sure not everyone will do this though.

Yes, you have interpreted this as meaning sharing their accomodation.

As far as I am aware team members are kept together and their families are seen as a distraction and are normally not allowed to actually stay with them.

Jeff

Wish they would let somebody shoot and release something else besides stock stills. Looks like MSN did a download of pictures from the Silversea PR department.

Wish they would let somebody shoot and release something else besides stock stills. Looks like MSN did a download of pictures from the Silversea PR department.

.......except for the last slide which shows DeMarcus Cousins, and Carmelo Anthony board Cloud without their families ......

.......except for the last slide which shows DeMarcus Cousins, and Carmelo Anthony board Cloud without their families ......

True but obviously taken with a telephoto lens from a distance. Would love to see some of the players on and about the ship with some of the staff. Might catch the face of a friend or two. :)

True but obviously taken with a telephoto lens from a distance. Would love to see some of the players on and about the ship with some of the staff. Might catch the face of a friend or two.

Sorry, not much showing below for the ship's staff, but here are some new and different visuals. In the next couple weeks, I am sure more Silver Cloud in Rio pictures will become available.

From the New York Times tomorrow, they have this headline: "Luxury Liner Houses U.S. Basketball Stars" with these highlights: "Every four years, the same questions tend to surface before the Summer Olympics including what sort of cushy digs will the United States basketball players find for themselves? Once again, the men’s and women’s basketball players from the United States are avoiding the athletes’ village. Carmelo Anthony, Kevin Durant, Diana Taurasi and the rest of their high-profile teammates are staying on a luxury cruise ship, docked at a pier on the other side of the city. U.S.A. Basketball has shunned the athletes’ village since 1992. The team stayed on a ship at the 2004 Games in Athens, then used hotels in Beijing in 2008 and London in 2012."

One player in her second Olympics said: “Let’s be honest — how can our men’s and women’s teams stay in the village? They would get bombarded, especially the men’s team. They won’t have peace.

From one of the world's supposedly top newspapers, the New York Times, however, did goof in calling this ship the "Sea Cloud". Sorry, the pictures clearly showed the name as the Silver Cloud. Would not think that an "All the news fit to print" newspaper would make this type of error.

The ship is located in thee Plaza Mauá, on the city’s eastern waterfront. This story notes that this areas "was revamped as one of the legacy projects of these Games, with new museums and areas for outdoor activities. Warehouses along the pier are now used as event and party spaces. Diana Taurasi, one of the women’s team captains, lightheartedly described the ship as having 'a nice, 19th-century Russian décor.' " Another team player cited the Silver Cloud's pool, gym, social rooms and conference rooms. That player also noted that they can order room service anytime and added: “Same thing we’d do in a hotel. It just floats.”

Full story at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/07/sports/olympics/rio-2016-basketball-united-states-cruise-ship.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=photo-spot-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 40,903 views for these postings.

From recent media postings, here are some added visuals from Rio as players are boarding the Silver Cloud, including with help from the Butlers. You can also see folks enjoying activities around the pool of this Silversea luxury ship. Recognize these fun Silver Cloud locations where we have previously enjoyed our leisure?:

July2016Pis1_zpsguybdsl0.jpg

July2016Pis2_zpsmcpxxqbf.jpg

July2016Pis3_zpsvkp9oam2.jpg

July2016Pis4_zps0hnz2ra8.jpg

July2016Pis5_zps6cjpuzu6.jpg

From the Los Angeles Times this morning, they have this headline: "All is shipshape for U.S. men's basketball Coach Mike Krzyzewski" with these highlights from the current and highly-respected Duke University head coach: "U.S. men’s basketball Coach Mike Krzyzewski is normally stern and serious, but he displayed a hint of his sense of humor when asked about his team’s Olympic housing arrangements. A French journalist asked Krzyzewski about the choice of isolating the team from the bigger Olympic experience and 'living on a boat.' Krzyzewski surprised his audience by performing a mini-standup comedy routine."

Here were this famed coach's comments about life on this ship:

"Well, we don’t live on a boat. We’re staying on a boat. I actually live in Durham, N.C. I have a swimming pool and once in a while I get on a raft but I never really thought about living on a boat. Since 1992 the U.S. teams have stayed in different locations and because of the accommodations here, that was good. And it’s not our boat, you know. We’re not the only people on the boat. There are other people on the boat that you say, ‘Good morning,’ to, ‘Hello.’ We’ve actually made friends on the boat. I never knew I would have boat friends. But now that I’m talking about it I might go buy a boat and put it in my swimming pool. But I’d have to have a bigger swimming pool."

This Duke coach is very, very dry in his normal comments, making these responses somewhat fun to those in the U.S. who have followed his long and successful career.

The author of this article concluded with this comment: "As long as no one’s staying on the Titanic or the S.S. Minnow it should all be fine."

Full story at:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-oly-rio-2016-all-is-ship-shape-for-u-s-men-s-1470714639-htmlstory.html

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 152,014 views for this posting.