More Muse news

Silver Spectre

Also one of the dining areas will be coat and tie required every night and on formal nights, ALL restaurants will be formal dress code. Only exceptions will be the pool grill and 24 hour pizza place
Very cool! That will be a lot of fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Informal dress is one thing. Formal is another. I highly doubt that they would require formal dress in venues. You don't even have to dress formally now on formal nights. It's a concept that is fading fast. As the demographics continue to drop in age, the trend to more casual attire will continue.

Informal dress is one thing. Formal is another. I highly doubt that they would require formal dress in venues. You don't even have to dress formally now on formal nights. It's a concept that is fading fast. As the demographics continue to drop in age, the trend to more casual attire will continue.

Doesn't it get slightly more complicated than that. :confused:

If you do not have a reservation but are planning to eat in a formal restaurant/ on a formal night presumably you will have to queue earlier than you would like to ensure you "get in".

But if you do not get a table and are forced to eat in a different restaurant or an informal restuarant won't you feel a bit naff all dressed up?

Will those dressed informally in the restaurant insist on those dressed formally eat in their "cabin" or choose a different line ........:eek:

It seems a bit of a puzzle.

:)

Jeff

Doesn't it get slightly more complicated than that. :confused:

But if you do not get a table and are forced to eat in a different restaurant or an informal restuarant won't you feel a bit naff all dressed up?

Will those dressed informally in the restaurant insist on those dressed formally eat in their "cabin" or choose a different line ........:eek:

It seems a bit of a puzzle.

Jeff

But why does anyone care what everyone else is wearing? I certainly don't, nor do I pay much attention to someone else's definition of formal or informal.

I do however, as a costume designer, derive considerable amusement from observing what garments (formal or otherwise) some people think actually fit and flatter them, especially those who don't seem to own a rear view mirror. But that's a private pleasure.

Edited by jollyjones

It should be changed soon we hope. SS is the last hold out.

Silver Muse looks amazing and I am even prepared to book dining in advance, though I prefer on the day choosing where to eat. We also like that the smaller ships are getting some renovation work.

Maybe this should be in the Dress Code thread but following on from some comments earlier I will put my thoughts here on the possible Dress Code cited for Silver Muse........

I hope Silversea does hold out against the casual crowd. On our cruise on Seabourn in July we saw more people wearing blue jeans, not dress jeans in the MDR. A few people in the club in the evening in casual shorts and casual polo shirts which were creased and obviously they had been worn all day.

I was chatting with the Maitre d' at lunch one day and he talked about his frustration with the changes as he felt he has to accept whatever people want to wear. He mentioned on a cruise in June he had asked a man one evening to change from his blue denim, designer torn jeans if he wished to eat in the MDR. The man berated him loudly and stated "My jeans cost more then your whole outfit. I paid for this holiday and can wear what I want."

So I know there are some who continually push for the change for all cruise lines to have no or minimal dress codes. However, from what I have seen on Seabourn the dress code changes have become a slippery slope down to more casual.

I know certain people who say well just wear whatever you want, but I sometimes want to wear a very glitzy cocktail dress or a long dress. I would feel odd though if I then found everyone dressed much more casually. So now on certain cruises on Seabourn i.e. Mediterranean, Caribbean I never take them but wish I could.

I am sorry for being selfish but I wish I could have one cruise line left with a non casual dress code.

My husband and I are checking frequently for the late 2017 and all 2018 SS cruise itineraries so hopefully we can try them before the "casual crowd only" gets their way.

Julie

Julie,

I don't think you are being selfish at all, and your note doesn't contain any contention that I could see.

No one should wear jeans expensive or not (imho) anywhere other than in a very clearly casual eating venue. The SB MD should have quietly told the "mouth" that he would not be seated in the restaurant out of respect to other diners.

None of this seems edgy to me.

Jeff

Silver Muse looks amazing and I am even prepared to book dining in advance, though I prefer on the day choosing where to eat. We also like that the smaller ships are getting some renovation work.

Maybe this should be in the Dress Code thread but following on from some comments earlier I will put my thoughts here on the possible Dress Code cited for Silver Muse........

I hope Silversea does hold out against the casual crowd. On our cruise on Seabourn in July we saw more people wearing blue jeans, not dress jeans in the MDR. A few people in the club in the evening in casual shorts and casual polo shirts which were creased and obviously they had been worn all day.

I was chatting with the Maitre d' at lunch one day and he talked about his frustration with the changes as he felt he has to accept whatever people want to wear. He mentioned on a cruise in June he had asked a man one evening to change from his blue denim, designer torn jeans if he wished to eat in the MDR. The man berated him loudly and stated "My jeans cost more then your whole outfit. I paid for this holiday and can wear what I want."

So I know there are some who continually push for the change for all cruise lines to have no or minimal dress codes. However, from what I have seen on Seabourn the dress code changes have become a slippery slope down to more casual.

I know certain people who say well just wear whatever you want, but I sometimes want to wear a very glitzy cocktail dress or a long dress. I would feel odd though if I then found everyone dressed much more casually. So now on certain cruises on Seabourn i.e. Mediterranean, Caribbean I never take them but wish I could.

I am sorry for being selfish but I wish I could have one cruise line left with a non casual dress code.

My husband and I are checking frequently for the late 2017 and all 2018 SS cruise itineraries so hopefully we can try them before the "casual crowd only" gets their way.

Julie

Well said Julie. There are numerous cruise lines with varying offers. I don't want a large screen on deck. I dislike the Oceanview Cafe on Celebrity and their dress code. I love formal nights and I am looking forward to my Muse cruise in 2017. People should choose the cruise line with a dress code which suits them and stop trying to bring us all down to their low standards.

Personally I don't care what anyone wears as long as they are clean. Before our first cruise I woke up at night worried about my clothes - would they be good enough? Turned out I didn't have to worry but I wonder if people should be made to feel this way. Let's face it, what I think is tasteful/ formal/classy may not be what the next person thinks. Each to his own. I do, however think that if there is a dress code set out, people should try to adhere to it, but you will always have people who think that it is for everyone else, not them!

I have just returned from a Uniworld river cruise and a lady regularly came to dinner nicely dressed but with wet hair. Maybe she couldn't find the hairdryer. At least she had clean hair. We still had enough food to eat and the conversation was still good.

I love formal nights and I am looking forward to my Muse cruise in 2017. People should choose the cruise line with a dress code which suits them and stop trying to bring us all down to their low standards.

Personally I don't care what anyone wears as long as they are clean. Before our first cruise I woke up at night worried about my clothes - would they be good enough? Turned out I didn't have to worry but I wonder if people should be made to feel this way. Let's face it, what I think is tasteful/ formal/classy may not be what the next person thinks. Each to his own. I do, however think that if there is a dress code set out, people should try to adhere to it, but you will always have people who think that it is for everyone else, not them!

I have just returned from a Uniworld river cruise and a lady regularly came to dinner nicely dressed but with wet hair. Maybe she couldn't find the hairdryer. At least she had clean hair. We still had enough food to eat and the conversation was still good.

The irony of all this seems to be lost on many.

If you are a close follower of the laws of unexpected consequences of disparate converging trends you might conclude (as I do )that the outcome of a vocal but small minority showing a lack of tolerance to the needs of the majority is that they are in fact accelerating forwards the moment when the code will be loosened and not as it seems they think, delaying it.

If they say nothing and behave tolerantly, the code will survive a little longer. If they offer rancour and intolerance and provide SS (and others) with a contention that has to be resolved, do others really believe that SS will want the increasing majority to "go elsewhere"? I don't think so.

So the more angry and intolerant a small vocal minority get, and the nastier they post the faster the code will be abandoned …... in my opinion.

Jeff

We are booked on the Muse in May 2017. The dining options are fantastic and we will not miss the MDR. Silverseas, I am sure, will do all they can to satisfy passengers and I have no problem with deciding in the morning, or the previous day, where I want to dine. From what I've been told, some tables will be booked in advance and some will be available on the day.

Let's not get too hung up on this until we see how it operates. Silverseas will have thought the whole thing through I'm sure, based on the ship at full capacity. This is to be their flagship and I am sure will will be the ultimate in luxury cruising.

We are booked on the Oct 31 cruise and we're looking forward to the new ship with the new dining experiences :) I feel confident that even on a last minute decision SS will do their best and try to accommodate you.

• 3 weeks later...