Special private charter

KaraokeQueen

We stayed on the Spirit in February during Carnival at the same port and it was a nightmare! Public transportation was still in the early stages of construction and all the roads were torn up. We were the farthest ship away from the exit, and there were 8 other ships in port, I believe. I do hope they have made progress since then so our teams can compete without any problems.

I believe you were there. Remember what a mess it was!

We stayed on the Spirit in February during Carnival at the same port and it was a nightmare! Public transportation was still in the early stages of construction and all the roads were torn up. We were the farthest ship away from the exit, and there were 8 other ships in port, I believe. I do hope they have made progress since then so our teams can compete without any problems. I believe you were there. Remember what a mess it was!

Appreciate this great link and information about where "our" Silver Cloud will be in August. When on the Silver Cloud earlier this year off of the South Africa coast I was told how this ship would be going to Rio. Did not know, however, till now that the Silver Cloud would be hosting NBA superstars, etc., etc.

With the big, BIG money to lease this ship, get it over from the Med to Rio and back, I am sure that they will be able to take care of the logistics and security costs for these highly-paid millionaires from pro basketball and the various owners and officials who will be staying on this ship.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean combo sailing over 26 days that started in Barbados, here is the link below to that live/blog. Lots of great visuals from this amazing Brazil river and these various Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.) that we experienced. Check it out at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 40,494 views for these postings.

Very interesting as the Cloud was due in to dry dock in August to transform it into an Expedition ship-

http://www.silversea.com/media/press-releases/silver-cloud-to-join-silverseas-expedition-fleet/

As the Basketball finals are on the 21st August and the USA (unless beaten by the Aussies:D) should be there.Then I imagine it has to get to the dry dock.So I wouldn't want to be booked on the first couple of expedition cruises.

It must be uncomfortable for 7 ft (and below) tall basketball players on a ship. How tall are the ceilings in the suites? I doubt if they are even 7 ft high.

The ceilings in the bathrooms are even lower since you have the step up to enter them. Not to mention the shower. And of course the beds are even too short for anyone over 6 ft tall.

We stayed on the Spirit in February during Carnival at the same port and it was a nightmare! Public transportation was still in the early stages of construction and all the roads were torn up. We were the farthest ship away from the exit, and there were 8 other ships in port, I believe. I do hope they have made progress since then so our teams can compete without any problems.

I believe you were there. Remember what a mess it was!

Yes, it was really bad. The shuttle was the worst part! I'd rather walk/run it. People often wonder where a ship will be, thought it informative.

• 2 weeks later...

From the Sidney Morning Herald in Australia today, they have this headline: "US basketball teams to stay on luxury cruise liner Silver Cloud" with these highlights: "The highly-paid NBA stars of the US men's basketball team will not be housed in the Rio Olympics athletes village, but rather on board a luxury cruise ship, the Silver Cloud. Docked at the city's port, it will become practically a floating US embassy during the Games. People who visit the port will have difficulty approaching the Silver Cloud due to the heavy security detachment deployed around the vessel. A fence made of bulletproof material will keep the public away from the US athletes, who will be guarded by some 250 Federal Police officers. 'The Federal Police will also have two boats ... that they will use to prevent navigation near the vessel,' said Maua port terminal operations director Alexandre Gomes. The US ship is anchored at a site far from the docking spaces reserved for the many cruise ships that will visit Rio during the Games."

Full story at:

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/olympics/rio-2016/olympics-off-the-field/rio-olympics-2016-us-basketball-teams-to-stay-on-luxury-cruise-liner-silver-cloud-20160802-gqiwj5.html

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 151,680 views for this posting.

From the AP/Associated Press, here is their photo of the Silver Cloud anchored in Rio's renovated port this week.:

July2016Pis1_zpsnypw2xor.jpg

From the London/UK Daily Mail this afternoon, they had this headline: "CRUISE LINER! Team USA basketball millionaires reject shared bedrooms for luxury life with spa, shops" as the top, biggest lead story on their U.S. website.

Here are some of their story details/added highlights: "The millionaire NBA stars will arrive for the Rio Olympics tomorrow to take up residence in this luxury cruise ship. The Olympic superstars' boat is moored on the Port of Rio, which is surrounded by workmen drilling, digging and putting the finishing touches to the area immediately in front of the 196-cabin boat. When players like Kevin Durant, Carmelo Anthony and Kyrie Irving look out of their specially adapted cabins to the port they will view teams of construction workers in hard hats racing against time to complete their work. The ship will afford the NBA men and women players the type of security that they would expect and will be closed off to the public. The only entrance is through an airport style scanner which is manned by Port Maua staff, backed up by security guards. On the water police circle the ship on gun boats with marksmen equipped with automatic rifles. The moored ship is surrounded by a bullet proof glass fence and 250 federal police officers are on alert keeping a watchful eye. 'Nobody can get near the boat without invitation' said one security official. After Rio, the boat will set sail for Europe and visit Lisbon, Monte Carlo, Barcelona and Athens."

Not only does this posting have many pictures of the Silver Cloud in this Rio port, but they also have a wide variety of visual for the many luxury details that passengers (and basketball stars) on this ship get to enjoy. Bring back nice memories?

Full story at:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3720299/Forget-athletes-village-staying-CRUISE-LINER-USA-basketball-team-rejects-shared-bedrooms-luxury-life-spa-shops-7ft-beds.html

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from my latest live/blog at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 18,232 views for this reporting and visual sharing that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area. Lots of pictures and details from our ten-day sailing on the Silver Cloud.

Here are some of the many visuals from this London/UK newspaper website regarding the Silver Cloud and its "special duties" in Rio. These pictures bring back exciting memories from our four sailings on this luxury ship?:

July2016Pis4_zpstv5xbofe.jpg

July2016Pis5_zps5co4qzsm.jpg

July2016Pis7_zpssa26o9hq.jpg

July2016Pis3_zpssuhtarsc.jpg

July2016Pis6_zpsiogn4cf0.jpg

What will the dress code be?

Saw some of the news this morning about the US basketball team staying on the Cloud. Unfortunately, at least according to the report I watched on one station, they were not allowed on board the ship. The pictures on board the ship they did show were stock stills probably provided by Silversea.

Good, interesting question on the dress code above by Joc123. Don't think on this "sailing" (while docked) that the Silversea staff will be enforcing any dress code requirements on these stars and their corporate friends. Anyone want to wager against me?

Per Randy's above comment on this thread, here is the link to the nearly two-minute video segment that NBC-TV's Today Show did this morning on the Silver Cloud, etc. Yes, there was some stock still shots used of the Silver Cloud suites, offerings, etc.

Below are some visual highlights from that TV reporting this morning. NBC is paying millions for the Olympic TV rights, but their reporter and camera operator did not get on the ship. YET??!! Maybe later there will be more from the ship and interviews with some of the players as to how they like this Silversea ship and service.

Looks like great visibility and PR for Silversea!! Anyone recognize this Silversea staff member shown in the NBC-TV reporting?

Silver Cloud/NBA/Rio/NBC-TV Video Link:

http://www.today.com/video/go-aboard-the-luxury-cruise-ship-housing-nba-players-in-rio-738000451603

If Venice is one of your future desires or past favorites, look at this earlier posting for many options and visual samples this city that is so great for "walking around", personally seeing its great history and architecture. This posting is now at 61,715 views.

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

Here are some visual highlights from the NBC-TV Today Show segment this morning on the Silver Cloud, the pro basketball stars and Rio. First, is their reporter standing with the ship in the background. Notice what appears to be a Silversea staff officer walking by? Second is one of the Silver Cloud staff being captured on the ship with a long-range lens. Third are some of the basketball players walking around on the top deck to check out the Silver Cloud. Finally, here is one of their visuals showing the Silver Cloud docked in Rio.:

July2016Pis9_zpsenoqiguc.jpg

July2016Pis10_zpsq5zkucjg.jpg

July2016Pis11_zps6orr5er6.jpg

July2016Pis8_zpshr4bmaex.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio

As they will not be sharing suites, presumably narrower beds at a right angle.

Jeff

Jeff, I believe that most of the players have their families with them so this will not be possible if they are staying together in the same suites.