Pondering a trip to Galapagos

joe_90

Hi all

We are thinking of going to visit the blue footed booby birds and have a few questions.

We know that the ship is not quite as good as the normal Silversea vessels and accept that but can they deal with a guest who has slight mobility problem as I am sometimes a bit slow at walking but i will not give up and always get there in the end.

Flying can be painful so I tend to break journeys every 7 hours. What routing does silversea use from Uk for the flights and has anyone gone early--- afraid of ship going without us.

I would be grateful if anyone could pass on their experience and any little tips about what to take or wear.

Thank you in advance

Joe_90

Silversea flies everyone from Quito to the Galapagos on a charter flight. and if you take their air, they get you to Quito a day early. We are doing our own air as we have been to Quito before, and I have limited vacation days. But their land program in Quito is actually pretty good. They put you up at the Marriott for 2 nights, then on to the Galapagos. So I am confident you would not miss the ship.

The only concern would be getting on and off the zodiacs. They will help you but you do need some degree of agility.

Thank you Rachel

I have been on Explorer 2 years ago and found it ok but if necessary I will take extra pills they will keep me going.

Re flights did you come from Uk and if so what route did you or ss use. I am very used to doing my own air.

Forgot to ask when is the best time of year to go?

Joe_90

My husband and I have been to the Galapagos on celebrity and as much as I'm not a big fan of celebrity the line did a great job with folks with mobility issue. They rated the walks, most walks were very easy. I agree with Rachel, most people have the most issues with the zodiac (I'm a scuba diver, I would just hop into the water and get over it). One of the island had quite of bit of uneven lava fields that was causing a few folks some issues. As for the time of year, that really depends on what you are most interesting in seeing, how hot it may be and the water temperature. I went it May because it wouldn't be rainy and the water temperature would be fine for me to snorkel with out a wet suit (I live in nj). I'm sure when ever you go it will be great.

The flights from the UK to Quito are either BA/Iberia via Madrid or KLM via Amsterdam. Either way it will be nearer 12 hours for the second flight. It is also possible to go via the U.S. but that was not offered to us by Silversea and throws up its own problems. [emoji6]

As irishwitchy rightly says the time of year will depend on what you are most interested in seeing e.g. Waved Albatrosses on Espanola leave between January and March.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SS flights from the UK offered to us two years ago were KLM via Amsterdam. LHR-Madrid-Quito is an option but both entail flights of around 12 hours on the second leg.

The ship crew are helpful to less than nimble passengers and a short walk was always offered as an alternative at each stop.

Time of year is as irishwitchy says up to you. E.g. Waved albabtrosses are in Espanola April to December.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk