Tips for First TIme Princess cruiser on Star Princess

wendyp247

I'm interested in this thread as well.

I have sailed mostly Celebrity with a couple of Crystal Cruises thrown in. I will be sailing on Star Princess in April 2018 on a Pacific Coastal itinerary. Any tips will be much appreciated. I can't wait to try this cruise line :)

Have spent 90 days on board the Star Princess. One of my favorite Princess ships. Where are you going, how many days? Departing from San Pedro for Hawaii, Mexico or Coastal, or are you speaking about Alaska next summer?

Leaving for Hawaii next week for 15 days from San Pedro

Edited by wendyp247

Hawaii

Boarding: Arrive around 11am. After check in you will be shown to a seating area grouped by time of arrival. Boarding begins around noon maybe a little sooner with priority boarders, then general boarding in order of arrival. Once boarding begins it goes very quickly. Once on board go directly to your cabin it will be ready. Place your stuff into the cabin safe and start your cruise. You are permitted to carry on 1 x 750ml bottle of wine for use in your cabin per person of drinking age without charge. Additional bottles can be carried on but will be charged a $15/bottle corkage fee. These bottles can be used anywhere on the ship. There will be a Princess Patter in your cabin. Review it. One DR is open for lunch from noon to 1:30 on boarding day.

Muster: The muster is held indoors in the lounges and venues on deck 7. Carry don’t wear your life vest to the drill. Arrive 10/15 mins early if you want a seat.

Free Dining: All DR’s. One Dr is open for Breakfast each day and lunch on sea days. All DR’s have the same menus and dress codes. The Amalfi DR is used for early and late fixed seating traditional dining. The Capri DR is used for Anytime Dining (ATD). The Portofino DR is used for very early traditional dining and opens for ATD at 7:30. The Horizon Ct. buffet is open continuously from around 6am to around 11pm every day. Never closes. The Trident Grill, Prego Pizza, and Sundaes Ice Cream by the Lido Pool are open from 11am to late evening every day. The International Café is open 24/7. Room service with a limited menu (full menu is available for full suite passengers) is available 24/7. The only charge is $3 if you order a pizza. A Pub Lunch is held in the Crown Grill on some sea days.

Surcharge Dining: Crown Grill,& Sabatini’s @ $29/pp. Make reservations once on board by visiting the restaurant or calling the DINE Line. Crab Shack, held some evenings in a closed off buffet seating area, $29/pp. You will see tables around taking reservations. No pre-cruise reservations for any restaurant.

Like Wine? Try Vines. A large selection of wine by the glass plus tapas and sushi.

Quiet Places: Skywalker’s during the day, but it does get crowded. Also nice padded chairs on the Promenade deck.

Pools: The Terrace Pool and the Lap Pool are adults only, but I don’t think you will find may youth on board. The Calypso Reef Pool is indoors. Neptune’s Reef outdoor pool has Movies and other things on the large screen playing most of day

Activities: Lots of activities including Hawaii themed things like uke lessons, hula, lei making. Trivia every day two to three times, unhosted cards and games, free ZUMBA, all activities are listed in the Princess Patter. Beware of those activities that appear to be sales, for example ones held by the spa.

Drinks: Most alcoholic beverages on Princess are priced under $10.

Weather: Expect cool weather and maybe some rough seas the first 2 to 3 days crossing to Hawaii and on some days on the return. Generally it isn’t sit around the pool during those days. Bring a light jacket, sweatshirt or sweater. Once the ship crosses into the tropics it gets warm.

Any specific questions, just ask.

Wow, thanks sknight. I cruise on the star princess November 20th and can't wait. This will be my first princess cruise also. I have a sneaky suspicion I'm going to love it. So ready for this vacation!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hello, we just got off the Star this month. We did the Hawaii trip from Vancouver. We had such a wonderful time, we didn't want to get off!

I will add that the MDR embarkation lunch wasn't shown in the Patter as an option (as it used to be), so, after asking two members of staff who acted cagey, and wouldn't commit either way except to say we should go where it says in the Patter, we went up to the Buffet. Afterwards we walked past the MDR and it was on after all. Oh, to have had those beef medallions... I remember a previous cruise on the same ship, being turned away from the MDR at 12.45 after being told lunch was full and closing. They changed their minds and opened up more tables after the line up behind us got shirty! So my tip, if you want a sit down lunch and you're onboard early enough between 12 & 1.30, check there first. It's so much more relaxing and the embarkation menu is really good!

Other tips, there's a walk way right to the front of the ship under the Sanctuary. I really don't know how we missed this area the first time on the Star but we did! The lap pool by the spa was working and a great place for a swim after breakfast. There are a few sunbeds close to the pool. These fill up, and half are in shade and the ones nearest the hot tubs get surrounded by water.

Another tip - if you like olives, if you ask they will give you a selection of stuffed olives in Crooners martini bar with your drink. Watch out for the Jalapeno one!

We also love being pampered at the adult's only Sanctuary but it's pricey for a full day with no refund if it rains. We only ever book individual afternoons to keep the cost down, so if a sea day is bright and sunny, we go along to book either before or straight after lunch and choose our lounger. We never had any problem, the place was empty but if it had been busy we'd have just tried another day and gone a little earlier. We book afternoons as they come along and serve tea, cream scones, sandwiches and cakes at 3.30 at no extra cost. They also serve you bar drinks (at regular cost) complimentary lemon and cucumber water, but there's a one off charge for food delivery (other than afternoon tea) so we eat before going then enjoy that scrumptious tea! The problem then is eating dinner that night when full of scones! I wish I knew how to put a photo up to show you our beds and view. We go to book shortly after 12, settle around 12.45/1pm and leave about 5.30 so it's roughly 4 1/2 hours of heaven. I take a bag with everything we need, kindles, puzzle book, laptop, and I wear my swim suit under a coverall or shorts, in case I want to go down to the pool to swim. The only negative is the washrooms are a trek down the stairs and into the spa.

Regarding the shows, always go at least 30 minutes early if you want a seat, and even earlier for the new show they've just debuted on the Star. We arrived 35 minutes early and it was standing room only. It didn't really matter as it clashed with the Captain's speech so we just wandered off for the free drinks then went to another showing. Again, always go early.

On the longer trips, they do a British pub lunch at least twice in the Crown Grill and it will be announced in the Patter. If you're going early, then go 15 mins before the start as they do line up to get in. Or go later, as it's on for a couple of hours but very popular. The menu was different both times, and basic pub food such as fish and chips, bangers and mash, steak and kidney pie, scotch egg (which I didn't like much so they swapped right away), plough mans lunch and other choices like that.

Still thinking of other tips, but feel free to ask anything :)

Leaving for Hawaii next week for 15 days from San Pedro

Watch for the Hawaiian cultural program couple called Elua. Usually perform shows in the Piazza. We have done this itinerary on the Star and the Ruby. The Star cruise for us was the most enjoyable trip. Let us know how the cruise was when you get back.

Edited by ar1950

Watch for the Hawaiian cultural program couple called Elua. Usually perform shows in the Piazza. We have done this itinerary on the Star and the Ruby. The Star cruise for us was the most enjoyable trip. Let us know how the cruise was when you get back.

Definitely check the schedule in the Patter each day for the Hawaiian activities. If Elua is on your ship, you're in for a treat. During our last two cruises, we would go watch them perform as many times as possible (sometimes on deck, sometimes in the Piazza). Dave teaches the uke classes while Leialoha teaches the hula classes. If they aren't on your cruise, there should be another couple who are leading the program.

Hello, we just got off the Star this month. We did the Hawaii trip from Vancouver. We had such a wonderful time, we didn't want to get off!

I will add that the MDR embarkation lunch wasn't shown in the Patter as an option (as it used to be), so, after asking two members of staff who acted cagey, and wouldn't commit either way except to say we should go where it says in the Patter, we went up to the Buffet. Afterwards we walked past the MDR and it was on after all. Oh, to have had those beef medallions... I remember a previous cruise on the same ship, being turned away from the MDR at 12.45 after being told lunch was full and closing. They changed their minds and opened up more tables after the line up behind us got shirty! So my tip, if you want a sit down lunch and you're onboard early enough between 12 & 1.30, check there first. It's so much more relaxing and the embarkation menu is really good!

Other tips, there's a walk way right to the front of the ship under the Sanctuary. I really don't know how we missed this area the first time on the Star but we did! The lap pool by the spa was working and a great place for a swim after breakfast. There are a few sunbeds close to the pool. These fill up, and half are in shade and the ones nearest the hot tubs get surrounded by water.

Another tip - if you like olives, if you ask they will give you a selection of stuffed olives in Crooners martini bar with your drink. Watch out for the Jalapeno one!

We also love being pampered at the adult's only Sanctuary but it's pricey for a full day with no refund if it rains. We only ever book individual afternoons to keep the cost down, so if a sea day is bright and sunny, we go along to book either before or straight after lunch and choose our lounger. We never had any problem, the place was empty but if it had been busy we'd have just tried another day and gone a little earlier. We book afternoons as they come along and serve tea, cream scones, sandwiches and cakes at 3.30 at no extra cost. They also serve you bar drinks (at regular cost) complimentary lemon and cucumber water, but there's a one off charge for food delivery (other than afternoon tea) so we eat before going then enjoy that scrumptious tea! The problem then is eating dinner that night when full of scones! I wish I knew how to put a photo up to show you our beds and view. We go to book shortly after 12, settle around 12.45/1pm and leave about 5.30 so it's roughly 4 1/2 hours of heaven. I take a bag with everything we need, kindles, puzzle book, laptop, and I wear my swim suit under a coverall or shorts, in case I want to go down to the pool to swim. The only negative is the washrooms are a trek down the stairs and into the spa.

Regarding the shows, always go at least 30 minutes early if you want a seat, and even earlier for the new show they've just debuted on the Star. We arrived 35 minutes early and it was standing room only. It didn't really matter as it clashed with the Captain's speech so we just wandered off for the free drinks then went to another showing. Again, always go early.

On the longer trips, they do a British pub lunch at least twice in the Crown Grill and it will be announced in the Patter. If you're going early, then go 15 mins before the start as they do line up to get in. Or go later, as it's on for a couple of hours but very popular. The menu was different both times, and basic pub food such as fish and chips, bangers and mash, steak and kidney pie, scotch egg (which I didn't like much so they swapped right away), plough mans lunch and other choices like that.

Can you tell me which dining room serves lunch every day?

Once you use the walkway under the Sanctuary to get to the front of the ship, is the only way to the front/top of the ship to use stairs, what about people in wheelchairs, how do they get to the top?

Can you tell me which dining room serves lunch every day?

It will say each day in the Patter, but served lunch and breakfast were always on 6 (Fiesta Deck) in the Portofino, access from middle of ship. (I remembered it by saying to myself I had to be at 6 for 7(am) when MDR breakfast began). Served lunch is only available on sea days.

Once you use the walkway under the Sanctuary to get to the front of the ship, is the only way to the front/top of the ship to use stairs, what about people in wheelchairs, how do they get to the top?

The observation area was all the way forward on the Sun deck so easy to get to in a wheelchair, but there were just a few steps further at the front to get up onto a viewing platform but you can certainly get right round without steps. We walked round one night and the gates to the further platform were locked due to high winds.

There are some pics on this link where you can see these steps. Click on Sun deck and then the photo icons.

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/Star-Princess

As to the top/Sanctuary, I really don't think were was an elevator to get up there. I remember on the Emerald there was a small one outside the Sanctuary which my mum used, but we definitely did not see one on the Star.

We did this cruise on Star 2 years ago. Loved it. Just remember that there are quite a few sea days. Relax and enjoy. MUTS and the shows. Trivia and other activities. Princess pop choir if you like to sing. Sign up for the egg drop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you like coffee, get a coffee card. Around $35, good for all the brewed coffee and tea from the International cafe that you can drink (meant for 1 person to use) plus 15 specialty coffees, which you can certainly share. If you don't use up the punches, you can use them next time.

If you like coffee, get a coffee card. Around $35, good for all the brewed coffee and tea from the International cafe that you can drink (meant for 1 person to use) plus 15 specialty coffees, which you can certainly share. If you don't use up the punches, you can use them next time.

As the OP is a newcomer to Princess, I want to expand your answer.

Coffee in the dining rooms, the buffet and from room service is at no charge, but it is made from a syrup instead of being fresh brewed. Some people like it and some think it is the devil's brew. Before purchasing a coffee card (actually a sticker for your cruise card), try the free stuff. If you do not like it, then get the coffee card.

Edited by caribill

We were on the Star last year for 3 cruises. Felt like "our" ship. We purchased the same lounge chairs on the Sanctuary for every single sea day afternoon. Even when chilly it was paradise. A couple of times, we were the only people there--felt like we had the whole deck to ourselves. The specialty lunch menu plus tea plus 4 attendants who catered to everything we needed was amazing. They even have headphones and a great playlist on a music player. BUT, if they are closed you DO lose your money. Trade-off for the same loungers.

I hit the steam room in the ladies gym nearly every day. Nice not to have to pay for spa pass to have access to steam room and sauna. Not true for Royal and Regal.

Sign up as soon as you get on board for Chef's Dinner. Charge pp in the $100 range and worth every penny. Galley tour with Chef. (Hope it is still Fabrizio!) Followed by multiple courses with unlimited wine with every course. Amazing experience. It will fill up fast so find/call Maitre D or dining line and add your name to the list.

Don't miss any of the comedians. Princess does a great job of picking some really funny people.

And if Capt Ravenna is still on board, a phenomenal leader. Kept us safe and well informed.

Have a blast!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Wendy

If you like a glass of wine with your dinner in the MDR, stop by Vines before you go to dinner. Purchase what you want and then very carefully carry it to the MDR. That way there will be no delay in you having wine with your dinner.

Vines has a better, larger selection then the main dinning room. And, if they have any left, you can sample a Tapas or two before going to dinner.

We will be going back onto the Star in 13 days. Great ship, enjoy your Cruise.

Question? Are you sure you are scheduled to go out on the Star Princess in 15 days to Hawaii? We depart on the Star for a 10 day cruise down to Mexico in 13 days.

Bob

Edited by 4x4bob

Wendy

If you like a glass of wine with your dinner in the MDR, stop by Vines before you go to dinner. Purchase what you want and then very carefully carry it to the MDR. That way there will be no delay in you having wine with your dinner.

Vines has a better, larger selection then the main dinning room. And, if they have any left, you can sample a Tapas or two before going to dinner.

We will be going back onto the Star in 13 days. Great ship, enjoy your Cruise.

Question? Are you sure you are scheduled to go out on the Star Princess in 15 days to Hawaii? We depart on the Star for a 10 day cruise down to Mexico in 13 days.

Bob

according to the OP's roll call, she's left already and the ship will be back in time for your cruise. Sometimes the ships that sail on Hawaiian itineraries also will do some Mexican ones too...just not at the same time.

Any tips for the Alaskan cruise? We go next August.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

If you would really like an excellent review with pictures, I encourage you to read the review posted by Bimmer09

Star Princess North to Alaska September 10, 2016

full of information and beautiful pictures