Golden Princess

minz56

I am totally new to Princess (mainly cruised on Cunard and Celebrity previously) but a short 4 night Golden Princess cruise Melbourne/Auckland on 4 Dec 2016 appeals as it includes a significant birthday!

Looking for tips and helpful information about the Golden Princess and the best ways to make the trip extra special. I would either book an oceanview or balcony cabin.

From my research so far it would seem that Princess do not offer drinks packages - is this correct?

Which is the best specialty restaurant?

I cruised on both ships and liked them it was a few ago. Princess has a drink package for soda & liquor. Liquor I think it's $49.00 a day PP. You can call Princess for the exact prices. Good luck and have a great cruise.

Tony

I am totally new to Princess (mainly cruised on Cunard and Celebrity previously) but a short 4 night Golden Princess cruise Melbourne/Auckland on 4 Dec 2016 appeals as it includes a significant birthday!

Looking for tips and helpful information about the Golden Princess and the best ways to make the trip extra special. I would either book an oceanview or balcony cabin.

From my research so far it would seem that Princess do not offer drinks packages - is this correct?

They do offer it.

Looking for tips and helpful information about the Golden Princess and the best ways to make the trip extra special. I would either book an oceanview or balcony cabin?

Check out the price of the window suites. They are beautiful cabins and often very reasonably priced. :)

I was on the Golden 2 months ago in February. Upon boarding the ship, I found out that the drink packages were cheaper to purchase on board than pre-ordering on the cruise personalizer! I don't know if this is always the case, or was it just a special for our sailing?

I didn't go to any specialty restaurants, and I enjoyed all my dinners in the MDR. I took photos of some the menus, as well as patters (Princess's daily newsletter/guide), and I've posted them here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2321946

Edited by zxc

GOLDEN PRINCESS is a beautiful ship ;

TIP Stateroom wise :

GOLDEN PRINCESS :

Hidden away on away on Deck 6 FIESTA are a very limited number of Ocean View Suites with two giant windows each . They are larger than Mini Suites but similar price .

Pax get all the benefits that pax in full suites with Verandahs get .

So if you want a larger Stateroom, and are not fussed about a balcony then these Window Suites are great value .

Category S 7 On Deck 6 Fiesta there are Only 7 of them

F-301 F-303 F-305 F-307 F-309 F 311 F 315

Best Staterooms F 305 , 309 & F 311

ORANGE - Good Choice F – 303

RED - Do NOT book, next to slamming doors F-301 (smaller cabin ) and F 315 (Disabled cabin ) and 307 (Stabilizer noise)

Specialty Restaurants : Both Crown Grill & Sabatinis are excellent.

Crown Grill is steak and sea food, Sabatinis is specialty Italian.

Surcharge pp each but worth every cent .

I recently celebrated a 70th Birthday with 15 others in Crown Grill and the food and service was just superb. Half the party were new to cruising and were just blown away by the whole show.

Edited by kuldalai

Sabatini's is very nice. Suites can have breakfast there. Service is wonderful. We tend to take all our meals in the room but breakfast in Sabatini's is definitely a deciding factor when trying to decide between a mini-suite and a full suite.

They have different drink packages.

Aside from Sabatini's, they have the Crown Grill. But you will also enjoy the menu at the MDR.

If you want a really spectacular oceanview room go for S702 or S704. Floor to ceiling windows, granite countertops, they are beautiful - but actually more expensive than a balcony. :(

I don't think you'll be offered a drinks package for a cruise of less than 7 days leaving Australia.

Let them know about the birthday and you'll receive a card to take to the MDR. Birthday boy or girl will be brought a cake and made a fuss over by the wait staff. Princess will also decorate the stateroom door.

You could have a look through the gift options on the Cruise personaliser too - flowers, chocolates, wine, spa treatments, bathrobes etc could be ordered in advance.

Edited by clairebearinaus

You can order a drink package using the 'Cruise Personalizer' tab after booking.

I haven't sailed on the Golden but I've been on it's sister ship (Grand) twice. Just the right size.

Not on a four night cruise in Aus.

• 4 months later...
GOLDEN PRINCESS is a beautiful ship ;

TIP Stateroom wise :

GOLDEN PRINCESS :

Hidden away on away on Deck 6 FIESTA are a very limited number of Ocean View Suites with two giant windows each . They are larger than Mini Suites but similar price .

Pax get all the benefits that pax in full suites with Verandahs get .

So if you want a larger Stateroom, and are not fussed about a balcony then these Window Suites are great value .

Category S 7 On Deck 6 Fiesta there are Only 7 of them

F-301 F-303 F-305 F-307 F-309 F 311 F 315

Best Staterooms F 305 , 309 & F 311

ORANGE - Good Choice F – 303

RED - Do NOT book, next to slamming doors F-301 (smaller cabin ) and F 315 (Disabled cabin ) and 307 (Stabilizer noise)

Specialty Restaurants : Both Crown Grill & Sabatinis are excellent.

Crown Grill is steak and sea food, Sabatinis is specialty Italian.

Surcharge pp each but worth every cent .

I recently celebrated a 70th Birthday with 15 others in Crown Grill and the food and service was just superb. Half the party were new to cruising and were just blown away by the whole show.

Hoping on sailing on this ship early in 2018, we are looking at cabins on Bravo deck v carab deck. On line the C deck cabins are listed as 279 sq and the B one as 232. Both have balcony, is it correct that the actual cabin are the same size. As the difference between them is the balcony size of 47sq or is that a coincidence and the C cabins are bigger. Hoping you can help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hoping on sailing on this ship early in 2018, we are looking at cabins on Bravo deck v carab deck. On line the C deck cabins are listed as 279 sq and the B one as 232. Both have balcony, is it correct that the actual cabin are the same size. As the difference between them is the balcony size of 47sq or is that a coincidence and the C cabins are bigger. Hoping you can help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Carbie is also half covered too the deck below has no cover at all i was first cabin at front of ship C101 if i am allowed to say, was an awesome cabin loved it and had a great steward as well

Edited by Hawka

To my knowledge, the All-Inclusive Beverage Package is only available on Australian Sailings of 8 nights or more. Cocktails are AUD$14 each, not sure of any other drink prices, as I'm still waiting (im)patiently to board on November 11, 2016.

I intend to get as many drink prices as I can, and will list venue, item, and price when I get home.

There is a Spreadsheet with US prices, several years old, but if you check your Personalizer for how much you must pay in AUD to purchase On Board Credit, you should be able to get a good idea of the AUD prices.

I hope to have the Australian prices posted by mid to late November. Am taking my laptop and will do it as a Word Table based on venue, item and price. I'll check the spreadsheet for number of lines to allow, and some extras-easier to delete than add for me, not real strong on the technical side.

Book a balcony and order the Ultimate Balcony Dinner on your "significant birthay."

Not on a four night cruise in Aus.

i'm on that same cruise doing the 4 nighter and its got this on the personalizer

All-Inclusive Beverage PackageAU$73.75 per person, per day

All-Inclusive Package featuring any drink up to $14 including cocktails, wine, beer, bottled water, sodas, specialty coffees & more! A 40% discount on bottles of wine (below $100 retail) is also offered on bottles purchased in bars, dining rooms or specialty restaurants. Excludes in-room services, souvenir, mini-bar and vending machine items.

All-Inclusive Beverage Package only available on voyages 8 nights and longer.

Morning,

I sailed on the Golden Princess last year and she is a lovely ship.

My tips would be:

If you don't mind an aft cabin then go for C752 or C753. These are right at the back of the ship and you sail along watching the wake. If that doesn't appeal to you then have C742 or C743. All of the Caribe balconys are large but these are bigger than normal.

I agree with the poster who advised to have an Ultimate Balcony dinner. We did it for Christmas 2015 and couldn't recommend it highly enough. It costs around $125 per couple but worth the money in my opinion.

For brekkie we always went out on to the outside areas. Go to the buffet load up on breakfast, and then head for the Outrigger bar (right behind the buffet). There is a lovely semi-enclosed seating area, where you can sit and watch a lovely view. It can get chilly but how often do you get to eat brekkie with a sea view!

The Crown Grill was fantastic.

Tried Sabatinies on another ship and didn't love it, but people rave about it so I'd check the menu and see what you think.

There were 2 for 1 drink specials in the Wheelhouse at 4pm every day.

Even though Princess say that the drinks specials are for 8 nights or more, we were on a 6 night Tassie cruise and they sold it for that, so watch out for it. Be aware that if you want the drink special you have to buy it from day 1 to get value, check as soon as you get on board with the wait staff and buy it from them.

Most of all enjoy your cruise!

Trish

We were on the Golden back on the 2010 and 2012 holiday cruises to Hawaii -- both 14 day cruises.

the only time we've gone to a specialty restaurant was on our last cruise when we were gifted with a dinner at sabatinis. I can take it or leave it as I'm not a foodie. I do recommend checking out the International Cafe in the Piazza, midships on Plaza. It's not enclosed but look for the display cases with food. good for a snack or light meal and it's open 24/7. Often during the day, there's entertainment (variety acts, music quartets, etc) during the day in the Piazza so many will get a plate of something and find a seat.

We were on the Golden back on the 2010 and 2012 holiday cruises to Hawaii -- both 14 day cruises.

the only time we've gone to a specialty restaurant was on our last cruise when we were gifted with a dinner at sabatinis. I can take it or leave it as I'm not a foodie. I do recommend checking out the International Cafe in the Piazza' date=' midships on Plaza. It's not enclosed but look for the display cases with food. good for a snack or light meal and it's open 24/7. Often during the day, there's entertainment (variety acts, music quartets, etc) during the day in the Piazza so many will get a plate of something and find a seat.[/quote']

Agree the international is awesome , had a pawn salary from there was yummy as

• 1 month later...