On the Dream Now. Sort of a sad thing.

MMastell

Yesterday, we started our Carnival Dream cruise. Our cabin steward asked if we want once a day or twice a day service. I chose evening service because we are often night owls and sometimes we don't leave the cabin until 9:30 or 10:30 a.m..

Today I spoke with him and learned that he now has 38 cabins to service. Over 20 are morning or two a day service. In the evening he only has 18 to service

This is a ridiculous number of cabins for the stewards and they need to hire more assistants to get the work done. They are not making more money. We spoke about this and he didn't give me the "poor me" attitude. He also told me that he doesn't make any more money. With his attitude I am inclined to take what he said as the truth.

This is greatest evidence of Carnival cutbacks that I have seen and it really bothers me.

It is a sad situation.

Take care,

Mike

Of course he's making more money, he gets paid by the cabin. The more cabins they service, the more money they make. Sorry but I do think he was playing the poor me card if he told you he was making the same tending to 38 cabins as he was 20 or whatever he was before.

If stewards are paid per room, this doesn't automatically mean that they are receiving the same amount per room that they used to, if they are expected to spend less time on each room and service more rooms.

When the recommended tip amount went up, Carnival did not provide us with a specific breakdown for each type of service, as they did in the past. The FAQ now only says generally: "The majority of the tipping amount goes to employees such as stateroom stewards, assistant stewards, dining room waiters and assistant waiters. A small portion goes to a mix of other personnel who are in guest-facing customer service positions within areas such as culinary and hotel services, along with certain key positions in entertainment and guest services." I can't find a current breakdown of the tips, like was previously in the FAQ. Please point me to the information if you can find it. This doesn't mean Carnival is tricking guests and pocketing tips, just that they may be distributing them differently among staff.

OTOH, for argument's sake, stewards may also be receiving no more than they used to because (1) they're spinning the truth about having more work or (2) more people are removing gratuities than ever before.

Edited by KatieCharlotte

I just got off the Dream yesterday and it was very obvious there is less staff and they are spread thinner. Not one crew member complained but they were clearly hustling. I can see the cutbacks made by Carnival...think portion sizes on meals. And my husband gets industry newsletters thru work and if my memory serves me, Carnival made 1.4 billion last QUARTER. Our waiter in Roatan excursion said he worked for Princess for 3 years. He worked 75 days on and got 7 days off. He made $680/mo. You decide.

Of course he makes more' date=' additional cabins means more people tipping him.

They can always hire crew from other depts to help them and pay them out of their own pockets.[/quote']

So although they've been assigned more cabins, that steward isn't working alone. I've tipped a helper.

Yesterday, we started our Carnival Dream cruise. Our cabin steward asked if we want once a day or twice a day service. I chose evening service because we are often night owls and sometimes we don't leave the cabin until 9:30 or 10:30 a.m..

Today I spoke with him and learned that he now has 38 cabins to service. Over 20 are morning or two a day service. In the evening he only has 18 to service

This is a ridiculous number of cabins for the stewards and they need to hire more assistants to get the work done. They are not making more money. We spoke about this and he didn't give me the "poor me" attitude. He also told me that he doesn't make any more money. With his attitude I am inclined to take what he said as the truth.

This is greatest evidence of Carnival cutbacks that I have seen and it really bothers me.

It is a sad situation.

Take care,

Mike

Most cabins have at least guests (maybe 3-4) but lets assume 2 for each.

The stewards are tipped through auto tips and I think its about 5.50 per person per day to the stewards. So at 2 people a room that's $11.00 per day per room--38 rooms x $11.00 = $418.00 per day. Even if they have to share with a helper--lets say 50/50 that's still $209 per day--7 days a week $1463 a week.

This is on the low end since I am not counting the extra cash tips, the rooms with 3-4 people (so more auto tips) and I think I estimated low on the daily amount that goes to them.

Not bad money whatsoever. Me...I work 80 hours a week to make ends meet--it is what it is. I work hard and make money

Most cabins have at least guests (maybe 3-4) but lets assume 2 for each.

The stewards are tipped through auto tips and I think its about 5.50 per person per day to the stewards. So at 2 people a room that's $11.00 per day per room--38 rooms x $11.00 = $418.00 per day. Even if they have to share with a helper--lets say 50/50 that's still $209 per day--7 days a week $1463 a week.

This is on the low end since I am not counting the extra cash tips, the rooms with 3-4 people (so more auto tips) and I think I estimated low on the daily amount that goes to them.

Not bad money whatsoever. Me...I work 80 hours a week to make ends meet--it is what it is. I work hard and make money

When you have some people that cruise 2 or 3 times a years!! They want the service at their feet...... And the high ballers that are in SUITES.....

I'm fine with once a day too as long as towels are taken care of. I won't be tipping over anymore though. With the increase in tips and decrease in service I see no reason for additional tips. Before you got twice a day service whether you needed it or not and all the extra touches. Now you get bare bones service once a day, or maybe twice if you are lucky or if you threaten to remove tips (which I would never do).

Like I said I'm fine with once a day but will not reward less service by paying more than required for it. I'll save my extra tips for those that add more to my vacation, I'm already paying extra with the increased tips and that more than covers the services I am getting with once a day cleaning.

It's in no way a punishment to the stewards they are getting their full pay since I prepay tips, they just aren't getting the extra tip, but they are doing half the work or less on my room and getting paid by many more rooms so not a bad deal on their part.

Edited by poobears

The stewards are actually working for us as the passengers. We can allow Carnival to charge us more in hopes they will pay the stewards more. Or we can just tip the stewards more and in effect pay them more directly. We have the ability to make it where stewards get paid more. If we don't want to do that on top of what Carnival charges us, we can just not cruise. It's all a choice. The stewards can also choose to work somewhere else if that is an option. It is called a free market system.

The stewards are actually working for us as the passengers. We can allow Carnival to charge us more in hopes they will pay the stewards more. Or we can just tip the stewards more and in effect pay them more directly. We have the ability to make it where stewards get paid more. If we don't want to do that on top of what Carnival charges us, we can just not cruise. It's all a choice. The stewards can also choose to work somewhere else if that is an option. It is called a free market system.

I had to have read that wrong, you aren't suggesting if people dont' want to tip above what Carnival is already charging in tips they should just stop cruising are you?

I've noticed on my last couple of cruises that the steward had not only one helper, but two. The main steward took care of the bedding, one took care of the bathroom, and the third did the vacuum and anything else that he/she was told to do. They get in and out of these cabins in a hurry. Sure, the auto tips are split among them, but if you have more cabins, you have more people, thus more tips (unless you have people that totally remove tips).

I've noticed on my last couple of cruises that the steward had not only one helper, but two. The main steward took care of the bedding, one took care of the bathroom, and the third did the vacuum and anything else that he/she was told to do. They get in and out of these cabins in a hurry. Sure, the auto tips are split among them, but if you have more cabins, you have more people, thus more tips (unless you have people that totally remove tips).

I have heard that the steward hires the helper himself and pays them directly.

If you really are concerned for your room steward , then don't leave your room in a total mess. That way they won't have to spend so much time cleaning it up. Walking by some rooms when the door is open and they look like a frat party was in it .