Coral Princess question on coffee

msbhaven1974

I know I can get brewed coffee and specialty coffee with the coffee package. But if I don't purchase the package can I just buy coffee as I want it - and if so how much is a cup of brewed coffee - and are there refills. Also someone told me that the coffee served in the dining areas is instant - I can't believe that - sorry - I am used to all inclusive cruises on Regent and Viking and this will be my first experience on a non-inclusive cruise. Just trying to calculate what my additional expenses will be. We do not drink alcohol at all - but water, soda and coffee is our beverage choice. Going on Alaska cruisetour in May 2017 and trying to budget for all the extras

I have looked at the beverage packages but really wanted to find out about this instant coffee issue - that to me is a fate worse than death HAHA

My understanding is the coffee in the buffet is from a syrup concentrate (so sort of like instant, but not Folgers crystals kind). On our cruise last year, I got the coffee card and mostly did brewed coffee (free with the card for this cruise of which it was purchased else I believe it was $2 - can't recall if that was AUD or US - cruise from Sydney).

I have some leftover punches and will likely use that for Americanos on my cruise on the Coral in December.

I'm sure someone else will chime in - I did drink the coffee in the restaurant for breakfast and it was OK - better than instant (though I've been known to drink Starbucks VIA while camping - can't do Folgers!!)

I know I can get brewed coffee and specialty coffee with the coffee package. But if I don't purchase the package can I just buy coffee as I want it - and if so how much is a cup of brewed coffee - and are there refills. Also someone told me that the coffee served in the dining areas is instant - I can't believe that - sorry - I am used to all inclusive cruises on Regent and Viking and this will be my first experience on a non-inclusive cruise. Just trying to calculate what my additional expenses will be. We do not drink alcohol at all - but water, soda and coffee is our beverage choice. Going on Alaska cruisetour in May 2017 and trying to budget for all the extras

I have looked at the beverage packages but really wanted to find out about this instant coffee issue - that to me is a fate worse than death HAHA

Yes you can just buy a cup. I can only give you Aussie prices sorry about $2.75 a cup for the specialty.

The stuff in the Horizon Court I understand is made on a syrup, but try it some find it fine (and it's free). If you drink a lot of coffee look at the coffee card and if you drink more than about 4 sodas a day the soda and more is worth looking at too.

Ok - I think I understand - in the Horizon it is coffee made from syrup - how about the other non-specialty eating areas - is it the same thing?. I will be buying the coffee card but my companion probably won't - he just likes coffee usually just in the morning where I love coffee ANYTIME -

Ok - I think I understand - in the Horizon it is coffee made from syrup - how about the other non-specialty eating areas - is it the same thing?. I will be buying the coffee card but my companion probably won't - he just likes coffee usually just in the morning where I love coffee ANYTIME -

All coffee other than that at IC (or La Patisserie on Island) is from syrup. It varies from fine to horrid. I once had a quite good cup of coffee at lunch in MDR and then got a refill that was sewage sludge. (That is the only time I ever had truly horrible coffee though.)

I get a coffee card and drink fresh-brewed coffee from IC during the day but I still just get the "regular" coffee in HC and MDR and it is usually fine. The coffee card isn't expensive and gets you unlimited fresh-brewed coffee for the one cruise when you first purchase it and a bunch of punches (15?) for foo foo coffee and such. The punches are good on the initial cruise and also on any subsequent cruise until they are used up. Subsequent cruises you can also use the card for fresh-brewed coffee but they will almost certainly "use a punch" for the coffee as it is, as I said above, really only supposed to be for fresh-brewed coffee on the initial cruise.

If you have the AIBP (All Inclusive Beverage Package) then there is no need for the coffee card as almost all drinks onboard are included with that package.

All coffee other than that at IC (or La Patisserie on Island) is from syrup.

The use of syrup based coffee is not limited to cruise ships.

Many land restaurants, including a number of the finest, serve syrup based coffees.

Coffee syrup is available in several quality grades.

It is suspected that Princess in not purchasing the highest grade syrup.

When I think of syrup I think of a viscous slow flowing liquid. What the Coral Princess uses is a free flowing liquid coffee concentrate that comes in cartons, like milk cartons. When you draw a cup of coffee the concentrate mixes with hot water, it does not have to dissolve as a syrup would. Many restaurants use the same type of equipment. If you have been to Burger King they have very similar coffee.

I have actually read on these boards that the coffee is brewed on a couple of the ships ... Regal and Royal, I believe. I cannot verify this.

Princess doesn't have the best coffee by any means ... but it is drinkable. It is much better than it used to be .... which I used to compare to the taste of a dirty ash tray .... I am just surmising what a dirty ash tray would taste like ... no, never actually tasted one.

If you want brewed coffee, you can get that at several of the bars throughout the ship or the IC. I believe the charge for plain old brewed coffee is about a buck, maybe a little more. The coffee is reasonably priced on Princess but even the specialty coffees from the IC are nowhere near as good as at Starbucks or the specialty coffees on Celebrity for that matter.

They syrup coffee is always free.

I have actually read on these boards that the coffee is brewed on a couple of the ships ... Regal and Royal, I believe. I cannot verify this.

Yes, on those ships they have free filtered coffee machines that use ground coffee.

If you only plan to use the coffee card for fresh brewed coffee, you might want to check out the coffee in the Horizon Court. The machines there brew coffee from ground coffee.

ilm4kxk1OYD6EfaS53SwPmZhgc9Z3dTKmwqK6xPbdzcQd-7IOnV3NMeMjPQpFhnqzrjzgEnUqMSU79tMuija0ZmI4xJl1voAs6KMfZN7FrUj-XKDl8tFr0Giw2Zchf-loCbgZW-4GwZslFh9MojCvGhMvFs_J1oJ49_-oksplvPs6XEXM3A5LXmsmlJbwbzpl37oFzRGPZm_TJ7HudrPvVpmVVRF95ZUSarm22KbfSfr0e4asco0tDekH6ymj7mdOivbuYB0vYsFq9Zql0KokBwSMleo2Ec6-uHoptRg33LQQ26nqsn1oDaHFQgyvYFeIzVncNDXjEBM4T5AbsQ-gLM97QcwVWCiGa6fYHTcevnIoSSDeo1oxKwK3APHWcwQ8QR-IqIND_27-a24o-PsGgT7S8UT8VMUicZkccjZqKZb_m39ld13Zpq6sprX2nJPW7Ih_kY9W-1l5j_CG-Jm4CIfnh7eekApPVghS3hFrUvzBwg72hd2ZofI64CM7JfRd8KqZhfCW_ARelt-qs-sVjaOzvGSKnpyZwu-XnkmvKQuzRvE9sYd75OhscrtYS63yfs-T9luzDhF58-pQwlmUUY7vrOsHfGznvqGRMCTFDjJpmk_=w672-h895-no

There is also a hot chocolate dispenser.

Xpvtn47qA9_l5rOVBg-QmjAqD14yultLtOsnzBo8pa_sli7JX0TEhP-IsSmDPwSfWpDEgN6OW9WhoFuj1w-uTIOupBOL1Jz-_8ELzHaGvAR9Uf6jfShP5wBo-fsiXAaZVKNQ8Vsrj87gLS92B-jSKMUWITAm1Ylb1kFjH0srptGw_7hxgJoof1Sekc4gxViAONnYLA2tJsFGTy0wvAtqqBLKdTz1lsbxF48pIT_b5Vp4a_tw6NzkK9Q0TLuzIIMxlej1FOrRMUDXvMKadDULGhgpcyvCjpZn3UmJyIum9sQcQ1et0tE61DSEt5PbHh5qwgsZTaFGZZogl_jABN6gTWwVYkLNfe9eUup6I7hL07vpggvNxa52SZVx1ds589LlbKxekcymle_m2_IoE6iv9ScvKndrnNV-RW7KSlodkY-1t9c-njr_B1K8f407YvqyfUmpvDAGQqcUl0kzkzSdurHhXpfT9qmNzNXG9KOWmtByAFYzZJZyFI_f-pBX7XggJeDWfzfFe2VvtcgZLVhKAkZbnySpJ1INLWSu_bOqk9TylkWwwmNosg3myESeggYi4kzNSZhWmCpKUESEG9f7FGTX45N-Y8nTcgQk6yRc1JH99x9W=w672-h895-no

The iced tea was also better from the dispenser. There wasn't always lemonade available.

mE53Or1fkbU-ka3rsi93tA4bZM1t_R0rCfoHenxs5ZL_tRYh8HUiTHV8wGYWNnYIQCGQFz2koa9iriNrrfE0sI8nFKfTjMHyIzwkGhOfgPPmhBxlxQgcEeI84et6lFvH0ERupQ0hH1qsf7FjM_1EdRmTSOkc89r8IgCpDk-qqnNZPzFwl-pSPOk3enGP3jPs3Li7s5V-HimInD0Lex1YW1r-o7edpNUo0Q3WZMXOj2WmydzNWayArZs5ZJtUMUOau6tK3maalf52wVHNhcADPSlrkTOj3OT81xEZnEwgXWnDrYEIYD8Q78bWSCIgT7xKAlQI7_Yg98wvtshQvKeWh-PI9vwd9n5f3T5IseZcseC-tUuNvX305FuzuhAVEu6NDfvZh6wWmhpmYtmBzj5z_xzza0-xFo8al66TSnIyMp9_v56UPveKbNWdnD5jkuRZpGknZOS06Qy1LGWyJ8pRdMbwZKdq2156QDuro5YosPspUJqJQ4DvrOXK4S4ut7kukOJZTphaMmOg6hl2LjygU2qKzKJE6Wc7ajMSrMvzBIhZ_2KT4B2rayGaobJgbY0iKvFyurE4fUVZ0hBKOfPj_5BZOw6P4CtMtST7rPt4-OE0XQdk=w670-h895-no

When I think of syrup I think of a viscous slow flowing liquid. What the Coral Princess uses is a free flowing liquid coffee concentrate that comes in cartons, like milk cartons. When you draw a cup of coffee the concentrate mixes with hot water, it does not have to dissolve as a syrup would. Many restaurants use the same type of equipment. If you have been to Burger King they have very similar coffee.

The dictionary defines syrup as "sweet, thick liquid made of sugar and water with flavoring or medicine added to it"; those on CC who don't like the coffee from concentrate ("to make (something, such as a liquid) stronger by removing water") often describe it as being from syrup. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer