Johnny Rockets vs Guys burgers

CJHAN

It's in the title what do you like better? And to go with this if Carnival decided to make Guys an up charge like JR would you be willing to pay?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Forums mobile app

Johnny Rockets is ok, never had Guys but what I've read doesn't sound great, neither one sounds like it's worth planning a vacation around.

Very different concept. Guys cannot justify an upcharge the way it is currently implemented. Johnny Rockets is a sit down establishment with waiter service, food cooked to order, etc. Guys is essentially an extension of the buffet. Trays of already cooked burgers that they sling on a bun and hand you. We thought Guy's was good, but it's hardly some sort of destination.

Also note that Johnny Rockets is only $5. So you get a lot for $5. I've read that a big part of the upcharge is to keep crowds in check and so kids don't just hang out there. For $5, well worth it. Same with Sabor vs Blue Iguana. Johnny Rockets also offers a proper sit down breakfast which is complimentary. Just a very different concept than Guys - it's not comparable.

If you want to compare, you would compare Wipeout Cafe with Guys. Both complimentary, near the pools, etc. (though it depends on which ship) Guys has better burgers and Wipeout has more options, though I don't consider it a deal breaker either way.

Edited by BNBR

Johnny Rockets also offers a proper sit down breakfast which is complimentary. Just a very different concept than Guys - it's not comparable.

I had that breakfast once on the Oasis, While the burger I had in the afternoon was ok, the eggs I had for breakfast were terrible. They might have been giving them away but they were not worth having.

It's in the title what do you like better? And to go with this if Carnival decided to make Guys an up charge like JR would you be willing to pay?

Johnny Rockets is a restaurant.

The day Carnival moves their burgers to a sit down venue with waiter service, it will be the same. Until then, it's self serve. You will wait on yourself, in line.

Also note that Johnny Rockets is only $5.

Been a while since youve been on a Royal Caribbean ship i see.

Also, Johnny Rockets only offers "free" breakfast on Oasis class ships.

Edited by ryano

I had that breakfast once on the Oasis, While the burger I had in the afternoon was ok, the eggs I had for breakfast were terrible. They might have been giving them away but they were not worth having.

Bad day maybe for the cook? I had breakfast at Johnny Rockets on Oasis 3 times and while the potatoes were boring "eh" - the eggs were cooked very well.

3 months...

Johnny Rockets has been 6.95 for at least a year. What ship gave it to you for 5.00?

And you are right, it doesnt compare. Guys beats Johhny Rockets by a mile as far as the actual burger goes which is what the OP was talking about.

Edited by ryano

Love Johnny Rocket's onion rings...and the entertainment from the waiters. I like Guy's and I might pay a small charge, but not much or often.

Onion rings are great, wish Guys would give you more than one but dont think we would pay for Guys more than once on a cruise and only if it became more of a sit down venue

Johnny Rockets has been 6.95 for at least a year. What ship gave it to you for 5.00?

And you are right, it doesnt compare. Guys beats Johhny Rockets by a mile as far as the actual burger goes which is what the OP was talking about.

It may have been $6.95. I don't pay much attention. It's trivial. My burger at Guys was nothing special but decent enough - my wife didn't finish hers. She said it was good but nothing groundbreaking. I do like the buns though, great bread.

Obviously that's in the tastebud of the beholder. I hear you can get something less than well done these days on CCL, but mine was an overcooked dry hockey puck. Off the assembly line. You can "dress" it up to offset the taste, but why bother.

Bad day maybe for the cook? I had breakfast at Johnny Rockets on Oasis 3 times and while the potatoes were boring "eh" - the eggs were cooked very well.

Mine were only half cooked, I abandoned them there. I don't mind runny yolks but the whites should be firmed up.

The burgers were ok but let's face it, a burger is a burger. I've read about the Guy's burgers and I am not sure I understand the hype, the only unique thing I see is "donkey sauce" but that is just a mix of mustard and mayo (no thanks).

Mine were only half cooked, I abandoned them there. I don't mind runny yolks but the whites should be firmed up.

The burgers were ok but let's face it, a burger is a burger. I've read about the Guy's burgers and I am not sure I understand the hype, the only unique thing I see is "donkey sauce" but that is just a mix of mustard and mayo (no thanks).

If Carnival just called Guys Burger Joint "Burger Joint" - nobody would think much of it. Carnival would have a pretty decent complimentary burger spot near the pool. Don't get me wrong, for cruise ship complimentary burger - it's good. Definitely. But it's not cooked to order or anything of the sort. The sauces and toppings, as well as the bread were really pretty good - but nothing amazing.

You have to keep in mind the competition - I'm not sure anyone makes a better complimentary burger than Carnival/Guys. So give them that.

I don't know about JRs on a ship but we have a land-based one here and it's low on my list. Just don't care for their food. Haven't had Guy's yet but will let ya know in December.

For comparison, I love 5 Guys, Jimmy Hula, Shake Shack, Burger-Fi...I wasn't impressed by Red Robin but their bottomless fries might reel me in again, I haaaaate Loudmouth burgers and Whataburger but I will eat cheap Sonic, burger king and wendys.

But nothing beats the burgers I grill in my grandpa's back yard. I keep my grill over there because it's easier to go to him than bring him here.

I'm not sure anyone makes a better complimentary burger than Carnival/Guys. So give them that.

True. The windjammer "mystery meat" burger that floats in that huge vat of grease is one of the most disgusting things ive ever tasted in my life. Im not even sure its real beef. If it is, its likely red slime meat.

I don't know about JRs on a ship but we have a land-based one here and it's low on my list. Just don't care for their food. Haven't had Guy's yet but will let ya know in December.

Funny you should mention this. There was a Johny Rockets in the mall here that went out of business quite a while ago, it was always empty. The only one left nearby is in an amusement park.

I don't know about JRs on a ship but we have a land-based one here and it's low on my list. J.

Johnny Rockets on Royal Caribbean in no way resembles a real land based Johnny Rockets as far as the quality of food goes. Of course at 6.95 a person, its about half price of what it costs on land so.

If you dont like the land based places, you certainly wouldnt like the ones on RC. Wouldnt even waste my time.

Edited by ryano

I don't like Guy's and I certainly wouldn't pay for an 80/20 burger that sits in grease.

But I would buy a Kobe burger, probably more than one, if they were offered for $5. Like that would ever happen.

Otherwise, burgers and fries and what not aren't on my list of my 100 favorite foods.

I never understand the great fascination over a fast food hamburger on a ship. Call it any name you like, and it's still just a hamburger. I have never paid for JR and don't expect to. I don't even get a hamburger in the buffet.

I do eat hamburgers at lunch, but never on a ship.