What to do in Houston after disembarkation

miss meow

Hi all...

We will have about 5.5 hours between when we pick up a car and when we have to be at the airport to head home post cruise, looking for some ideas for things to do to waste that little bit of time. No children in our group, we're picking up the car at Hobby, returning it to IAH, hours between 11 - 5 on a Sunday. We plan on checking out Johnson Space Center pre-cruise because we are coming in a couple of days early.

Thanks for any suggestions...

You're picking it up at Hobby and then driving immediately to IAH? Give yourselves an hour from one to the other. Probably won't take that long, but you never know with traffic.

There's Old Town Spring, a little north of IAH, that has cute shops and a few good homestyle restaurants.

There's the Museum District - The Houston Museum of Natural Sciences is really good, and there's also a Holocaust museum, the Museum of Fine Arts, and several other smaller ones. The zoo is also in this area and a new botanical gardens. You could easily kill a few hours there.

Not driving immediately to IAH, but will be slowly heading that way....thank you for the suggestions.

Loriphil....thought about that, but have decided to do that on Saturday morning before our cruise, just want to make sure we aren't having to clock watch. :-)

I wouldn't chance on the morning of the cruise. Space center Houston advises 3-4 hours if you want to include the actual tour.

Oh...no, we're not doing it the morning of the cruise - we're doing it the morning before...Saturday, cruise is Sunday. :-)

I gotchya! I admit although I toured their several times before they built Space Center Houston, I have to been since to do it as part of that attraction. I always assumed it was geared for the small fry; but I've been told Adults will enjoy it as well

I gotchya! I admit although I toured their several times before they built Space Center Houston, I have to been since to do it as part of that attraction. I always assumed it was geared for the small fry; but I've been told Adults will enjoy it as well

I suspect that it's kind of geared towards younger visitors, but we'll tackle it anyway - since it'll just be us adults, we'll probably get in and out of there a lot faster ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

I would DEFINITELY NOT recommend the galleria, I went last year (hadn't been in 20 years) wow was I unhappy. If you don't leave the major stores you'd be ok but the rest was bad and bar-none worst cheesecake factory EVER.

Natural history museum is nice. But traffic is off the charts bad in Houston even on Sunday ,plan for extra time DONT GO WITH NAVIGATION approximate time.

We went to the Johnson Space Center this August with 2 adults and 2 13 year old girls. We spent four hours and did not nearly see it all!

It was fascinating and I would say much of it is actually geared more toward adults because of the science aspects they focus on.

There are several shows and movies, hands on activities like a science museum would have, mock ups of shuttles to go in, and historical exhibits with equipment and gear. And my daughter was especially excited she got to touch a piece of the moon!

The tour of the grounds is absolutely worth it, too, seeing inside buildings currently in use to train the astronauts, the actual mission control room from the original flights to the moon and the "Houston, we have a problem." situation, as well as the actual Saturn V rocket.

Even without kids, I would plan on a good half day, at least, to experience it all. And bring your camera! It was great!:D

Will be on the Jade end of February 2016. Our flight doesn't leave until after 6pm. Does the Cruiseline offer any Excursions for those of us with late flights? Also, what is a good Hotel to stay at? Do you know if any offer pick-up service at the Airport (Hobby). We will be in the day before.