Free shuttle to Rome??

kittyluvrnurse

Hi Kittyluvnurse,

We did this journey in September , very doo able & inexpensive .

They run a free shuttle from the boat , this takes you to the bus depot (approx 10 minutes ) there are buses waiting there , quite easy to see with information boards & fares etc , can have single or return fares which were about 5 euros each return & they run back & forth all day to the station . They wait until they have a few on board then it is about 10 minutes . Drops you outside the Station & ticket office . We found every one very helpful .

It was 10 euros pp return . It was a 90 minute journey into central Rome but there is a faster , non stop train which runs at different times throughout the day which took only 50 minutes . This we caught on return & think it was about 4.15 but the ticket office will give you a timetable , they too were very helpful , I think they are also available on Internet .

The route takes you along the coast so some of it is an interesting journey . Sit on right hand side on outward journey for best views .

On return journey the bus is waiting by the Station .

Lots of people from the boat were doing this journey so don't think you would be on your own but we found it very easy . There will be someone in the reception area on Azamara with all the information , maps , shuttle & train , & Port information if you should need it .

Hope this helps , Ann.

• 1 month later...

Everytime I go to Italy, there is a strike. They start and stop without warning. Fridays are the worst. I was stuck on a train from Livorno to Florence for an hour. It stopped, conductor announced strike and left. About an hour later, he came back and train resumed. Another time, all the public museums in Venice closed for a day. Recently in Rome, all the transportation(metro, trams, bus,, taxi, etc.) went on strike. Private cars were prohibited into the historic part of the city. It was on a Friday. Locals call Friday strike day. Workers want to leave work early. Be careful in Italy. Do not rely on public transportation.

One of the really good things on Azamara are the tourist information people who get a chance to inform the passengers close to the front desk.

You can ask them, if there is a strike, if there is a special day where attractions are closed or streets are closed. Sometimes, the whole city can be blocked and you are not able to visit the attractions.

At the moment, Rome has so much smog, that they organized when cars may drive in the city, depending on their license plates.

So busses may also be affected.

I heard so much about people having problems with the public trains, some were delayed, some did not drive back at the time, they wanted, strikes and so on.

There is a good agency where you can book independant tours for a small price and they are also waiting at the place where the port drop off is.

http://www.civitatours.com/en.html

Myself never had a tour with them but I´ve heard a lot of good reports from german passengers. We use them always for transportion to and from port to airport.

Maybe that helps.

We used Rome Cabs, private car with English speaking driver. Were very satisfied.

Assume you mean Stephano's RomeCabs and, if so, would also heartily endorse their services.

We've used them primarily for transfers but would never hesitate to use their tour services as well.

In a couple of cases our transfers required a last minute change, and they handled both with aplomb.