Celebrity cruiser posts 1st Azamara review

Tony UK

Having returned from our Dubai to Singapore 1st sailing on Azamara, I have published my review on cruise critic. As with all cruises there was a mix of amazing and not so amazing.

Many things will hopefully be address by the refit, however imho some practices on the ship also need re-modernising if Azamara are to attract the next generation of cruisers.

Two examples I didn't mention in the review:

At breakfast in the buffet my tea was served in a large earthenware mug! It was so awful and nasty, no delicacy at all. Surely a line aiming for quality should use better than this.

I'm English and I couldn't drink the coffee which was included. I could have paid extra for better coffee but this wasn't freshly made from beans but from nespresso capsules. These are supplied nowadays in your room in many standard hotels at no extra charge. I was surprised that this was considered so special to be charged for!

I thought special coffee's are in the all-in price? And I did read good reviews over the cappuccino and the expresso?

They are, and made from scratch in Mosaic. Nespresso stuff is extra charge. Why people would pay is a mystery to me.

Mugs are fine. Some people complain about trivia.:rolleyes:

Hi Tony,

I had wondered why you weren't at the CC Meet & Mingle after being so active on this forum. I'm sorry you missed it due to someone's clerical error. In retrospect I realize now I could have reached out to you while onboard via CC!

I do hope you'll sail with us again after the refits.

Don't know what the regular coffee on Azamara is like, but on our last Celebrity cruise we were pleasantly surprised by a major upgrade in the free coffee. Instead of syrup, they are now using Lavazza ground coffee (even in the buffett). Hopefully Azamara will be installing these machines during the dry-docks.

The free coffee in Mosaic is definitely better than any pay offering from a Nespresso machine! I know....I have one at home.

As for the coffee offered after dinner in the MDR....yucch! :(

However, just pop into Mosaic a few steps away and all will be well with the delicious free coffee.

The free coffee in Mosaic is definitely better than any pay offering from a Nespresso machine! I know....I have one at home.

As for the coffee offered after dinner in the MDR....yucch! :(

However, just pop into Mosaic a few steps away and all will be well with the delicious free coffee.

I often order a double Machiatto in the MDR or Aqualina/Prime C after dinner and it is always perfect. Always ensure you get Twinings English Breakfast for a good cuppa and not the insipid Fields Select Tea and ask for the bag to be put in the teapot/mug and not on the side. It only takes a few days to educate the waiters!

Just returned from Journey and found that the mugs in the buffet have recently been changed. I didn't have a problem with them before but think that the new ones are nicer.

While I think the coffee in the MDR and the buffet is poor, I enjoy it very much in Mosaic, my favourite spot on the ship.

Thank you all for your comments on my post. I'll respond to some below. Lots of people have capsule coffee at home....Exactly my point - nothing special, so why the upsell?

Glad to hear Journey has new mugs. Sounds like they will be changed over on Quest soon. Good I like to have the same or better than home but I guess its too much to ask for china mugs:rolleyes:

Mugs are fine. Some people complain about trivia.

Trivia? I enjoyed the trivia on board :D :D Actually I am allowed to express my point of view over big and small things. I think you'll find a balance in my review.

On a small ship I'd like to think consistency could be delivered rather than having to go to a small single venue for a decent cup. Glad to hear about the Celebrity coffee offering improving.

Bonnie, so sorry to have missed you. We only found out about the meet and mingle when we were on tour in Mumbai. I looked out for you on board but our paths didn't cross this time.Overall though in my opinion (and that is all it is!) some things need to be modernised along with the refit. Azamara cannot rely on nostalgia and regular customers who want to keep things as they are if they are to attract the next generation of cruisers. We are in our early 60s and felt it was a little like going back in time. I loved the small ship and great officers and crew but felt a slightly more modern vibe was needed in some areas.

Angie

Thank you all for your comments on my post. I'll respond to some below. Lots of people have capsule coffee at home....Exactly my point - nothing special, so why the upsell?

Glad to hear Journey has new mugs. Sounds like they will be changed over on Quest soon. Good I like to have the same or better than home but I guess its too much to ask for china mugs:rolleyes:

Trivia? I enjoyed the trivia on board :D :D Actually I am allowed to express my point of view over big and small things. I think you'll find a balance in my review.

On a small ship I'd like to think consistency could be delivered rather than having to go to a small single venue for a decent cup. Glad to hear about the Celebrity coffee offering improving.

Bonnie, so sorry to have missed you. We only found out about the meet and mingle when we were on tour in Mumbai. I looked out for you on board but our paths didn't cross this time.Overall though in my opinion (and that is all it is!) some things need to be modernised along with the refit. Azamara cannot rely on nostalgia and regular customers who want to keep things as they are if they are to attract the next generation of cruisers. We are in our early 60s and felt it was a little like going back in time. I loved the small ship and great officers and crew but felt a slightly more modern vibe was needed in some areas.

Angie

Thanks for your comments.

I hope that the refurbishing upgrades that take place next year will provide the vibe that you missed.

On Journey at the moment for the Transatlantic. There is new crockery on the ship. I noticed it straight away and it looks very nice. I'm not sure if it is, but looks like bone china. There's a large team onboard doing the prep work for the pervasive wifi which will allow better connection and faster speeds. 550 guests onboard so it's pretty quiet. Huelva, Spain today and we start our eight sea days to St Maarten this evening.

Phil

Hi Phil,

I hope you have a great cruise. Please will you say Hi to Captain Johannes from myself and Hazel.....so glad he is back onboard for your cruise. ;) :)

Could you also give Max a big hug from me.....you can make it a "virtual hug" if you prefer! :D

Incidentally I'm pretty sure the new mugs are bone china. I thought they were very nice.

On Journey at the moment for the Transatlantic. There is new crockery on the ship. I noticed it straight away and it looks very nice. I'm not sure if it is, but looks like bone china. There's a large team onboard doing the prep work for the pervasive wifi which will allow better connection and faster speeds. 550 guests onboard so it's pretty quiet. Huelva, Spain today and we start our eight sea days to St Maarten this evening.

Phil

Are you enjoying your day in Seville Phil, organised by Oliveau? It's a lovely city and should be uncrowded at this time of year.

Hope you have calm seas and warm weather for your crossing.

Btw, I think the new mugs in Windows are bone china too.

Have fun. Will email you.

H x

Apologies to TonyUK for high jacking the thread

Edited by Spursgirl

T

Actually I am allowed to express my point of view over big and small things.

As am I.

I have two "mugs" of Twining's English Breakfast tea every morning in Windows. It is not in the least "nasty." Would it be better if someone drew fresh water in a kettle, removed the kettle just as the water came to a boil (as Sam Twining told me to when we had tea in Connecticut some years ago), poured it over a fine loose tea and then served it in a Royal Doulton flair-lipped bone china teacup? Yes. But is it "nasty?" Ridiculous hyperbole.

Regarding the meet and mingle invitation:

If fewer than 25 people sign up for the meet and mingle, Cruise Critic does not send to Azamara a list of those who did sign up, so there is no way Azamara can invite passengers by name and stateroom. But there is ALWAYS a meet and mingle on an Azamara cruise, regardless of how many sign up. And the meet and mingle is ALWAYS listed in the daily Pursuits. Too bad you didn't bother to check.

Of course tea is far better when it is prepared and served properly - even better made from loose tea in a pot and served in a china cup as I have it at home. Of course I don't expect that! I wasn't even commenting on the tea - Twinings teabags were a nice welcome surprise:)

My comment was on the mugs. I still think a quality cruiseline should use crockery of some quality. Clearly the cruiseline have now achieved this to the delight of guests who have posted here about them. Just as they noticed the improvement, I noticed the need for a change.

Regarding the meet and mingle. A person on the roll call contacted Azamara in advance of our sailing to enquire, as there were only 24 of us, if our meeting would go ahead. They were told 'no even though we were only one short'. I picked up this message when we were in Dubai for a pre cruise break. This was our first Azamara so we aren't perhaps party to these little secrets. On other lines it isn't included in the daily program. I didn't spot it maybe because I wasn't expecting it to be held or maybe as it was held on the first morning after a 10pm sailing :D

Angela

Edited by Tony UK
addition

we always have a party-never look for the invite -just check the daily's.It is one of those things i tend to see someone I know and ask where and when. Bern moved a few times die to overnighting. but the norm 6 the first or second day.

Thanks Elbon, That's good to know. I think this one was 11-00am the first day.

Angela

The CC meet & mingle was held at 6pm the first night aboard. I didn't count but I don't believe there were even 20 guests in attendance.

In retrospect, especially on a voyage with so many sea days right up front, we should have organized a second gathering a couple days later. (Maybe an afternoon tea party?)

I find I'm not entirely present on the first day aboard.

What do you think (of the idea...not whether I was 100% present!)

Edited by BBMacLaird

The CC meet & mingle was held at 6pm the first night aboard. I didn't count but I don't believe there were even 20 guests in attendance.

In retrospect, especially on a voyage with so many sea days right up front, we should have organized a second gathering a couple days later. (Maybe an afternoon tea party?)

I have been to 1st night events and over 50 showed up. i personally hated it as every one was sitting- small groups mingle better.. this winter i need to meet my tour people and i do not always show up.. i been on cruises that do a second coffee party. i am in cabin or pool deck. that lounger is mine. you will never make everyone happy. Bonnie, if i show up i am there 100 % .. if i am missing i am at sail away.

We have sailed on Azamara twice and both CC meetings were during sail away. I hate missing sail away but wanted to attend the CC meeting so we could meet the fellow passengers with whom we had private excursions booked. On our first cruise the CC meeting was in Looking Glass and there was a good turnout with lots of mingling and people staying long after the meeting was officially over. Second cruise was in the library with a huge turnout but everyone was seated and very little interaction between passengers. Definitely, preferred Looking Glass as the venue but hoping on our upcoming Panama Canal cruise that the meeting will be on the second day since it is a sea day.

That said, hands down Azamara hosts the best CC meetings!