Azamara on board entertainment

argybargy

I have seen it done but quite rarely. Even in hot climes the wind often makes it less pleasant on the open decks when at sea. In port they are more likely to offer on deck entertainment such as a singer or local folkloric show.

The last time I remember watching a film on deck was in August 2012 when we were onboard overnight in Venice, the film was 'The Tourist' which is set in Venice. A popcorn and drinks service was provided and we laid out on loungers. They were only perhaps 20 people watching it, but it was a lovely warm still evening. Many guests went into Venice that evening, there was also Alex Mac doing his 'Michael Buble tribute on at the same time, so we eloped to watch him!

Can't remember any more recent ones.

I struggle with people spending thousands on a cruise, and spending time watching movies that are at the local theater at home, or on TV or Roku? There are so many other things to do that you can't do at home- only on a cruise. Even just having a quiet libation with your special person after dinner and watching the ocean is "priceless".

I personally avoid cruise lines with jumbotrons showing movies.

I struggle with people spending thousands on a cruise, and spending time watching movies that are at the local theater at home, or on TV or Roku? There are so many other things to do that you can't do at home- only on a cruise. Even just having a quiet libation with your special person after dinner and watching the ocean is "priceless".

My opinion too. The last thing I would want to do on a cruise is watch a movie.

Each to their own - thank you!

We too have a horror of jumbo ships with entertainment that possibly doesn't suit us! My enquiry was simply whether the outdoor experience - on occasions - incorporated the luxury of an evening spent relaxing on loungers on the pool deck - possibly as an alternative to an Azamazing evening ashore!

I agree

We too have a horror of jumbo ships with entertainment that possibly doesn't suit us! My enquiry was simply whether the outdoor experience - on occasions - incorporated the luxury of an evening spent relaxing on loungers on the pool deck - possibly as an alternative to an Azamazing evening ashore!

A couple of years ago we watched "Slumdog Millionaire" as we left Mumbai, Cosmo in hand. That was appropriate and was great fun and well attended.

I agree however with the general consensus. A cinema on board any cruise ship is a not for us.

You see? You've just had an Azamara experience with the replies you received!

I've done only one Azamara Club Cruise but to paraphrase Harpo Marx, I wouldn't join a Club which would have me as member!

Their food is good, I found the selection of drinks in the inclusive menu to be acceptable. I find their policy of not opening the MDR for lunch a dealbreaker as the buffet, at least on the Quest, does not have the capavity for the guests. They did acknowledge this by bringing in extra tables from elsewhere and placing them along the walkways (creating additional congestion) but it was still not acceptable. I went to the buffet EARLY thinking I woould miss the rush and LATE still thinking I would miss the rush. I was wrong both times! They do have the FINEST net curtains on the balcony window I have ever seen - hahahaha!

But there is a an awful lot of "toadaying" from officers to regular guests and I believe that is one reason why they are so vigorously defended against any criticism on this forum.

Edited by canny_cruiser

The MDR is usually open for lunch on sea days. I find the reference to 'toadying' quite offensive on behalf of both Azamara and 'regular guests'. The friendliness of all the crew, including all officers, is part of the Azamara' USP. It's what sets Azamara apart from other lines. The only other line we have cruised on was HAL and the way you are made to feel welcome on Azamara really made a huge difference to us. They act as very good hosts welcoming you into their home - going on board feels like going home and that is a great feeling.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The MDR is usually open for lunch on sea days. I find the reference to 'toadying' quite offensive on behalf of both Azamara and 'regular guests'. The friendliness of all the crew, including all officers, is part of the Azamara' USP. It's what sets Azamara apart from other lines. The only other line we have cruised on was HAL and the way you are made to feel welcome on Azamara really made a huge difference to us. They act as very good hosts welcoming you into their home - going on board feels like going home and that is a great feeling.

I met canny cruiser on a Quest Black Sea cruise in 2014 and I can well understand that Azamara may not be the cruise line of choice for him. Each to his own and all that.

However like grandma cruising, I find the "toadying" reference quite offensive and unjust. The genuine "welcome home" and wish to make our cruises special is what sets Azamara apart from any other cruise line. Yes, the crew onboard do provide "special treats" for their loyal passengers because they appreciate our loyalty to Azamara and want to show that they do. Some events may be exclusively for passengers with higher loyalty tier status and not everyone gets invited, but that is the same on many cruiselines.....even Costa!

We often have little criticisms here because after all, no cruise line is perfect but the way in which Azamara management listens and reacts is unique.

We will continue to enjoy our wonderful cruise experiences with Azamara and will always very much appreciate the lovely way they treat us.

I was uncomfortable with the use of the word "toadying" by canny cruiser. I found the officers on Azamara to be sincerely friendly and welcoming. Simple things, such as acknowledging your presence when you step on an elevator with them, or officers serving at the buffet during a deck party, made you feel more like a guest and not just a customer.

I am an introvert and do not seek out attention, but appreciate the feeling of being included in the general community onboard. At no time did I feel we were subject to "toadying"by the officers or the crew.

"Toadying" suggests an attitude of servility that we personally, either on the part of cruisers or staff, have never encountered onboard, nor, indeed, on this forum.

nordski, I will have an interesting story to tell you about what happened on a Black Sea cruise .....who knows, maybe one day in Sicily? :D :rolleyes:

I'm sorry canny cruiser...Who's flaming you? No-one here is doing that.

However, we are disagreeing with your use of the rather unpleasant word "toadying" when it comes to describing the interaction between the Azamara crew and their loyal and repeat guests onboard.

We are entitled to do that. Your opinion is yours.....but it isn't my opinion, or that of the many people here who feel that the Azamara Crew are like family.

Just wondering - does Azamara ever screen films in the evening around the pool?

I have observed program listings for movies to be shown both at the pool, and in the Cabaret Lounge as an alternatives to Azamazing evening. I do remember they were the same ones playing on your cabin TV. Azamara added popcorn though! I went to the Azamazing evening, so I can offer any additional info.

Watching movies at sea on a really nice screen is a nice experience. Azamara ships are too small to support that type of screen and sound system. My biggest fear of cruising on Azamara is evening entertainment (or lack thereof). We're not big fans of the cabaret acts (generally less talent than you see on America's Got Talent) that all seem to look and sound the same.