Seasick on AZ vs. Other lines?

kittyluvrnurse

I've seen others mention bring seasick on azamara. Neither my hubby or me have sea sick ever, with the caveat of never having sailed on this size vessel. Yes, we've definitely been thru turbulent waters (transatlantic). Appreciate feedback. Thanks

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

I've seen others mention bring seasick on azamara. Neither my hubby or me have sea sick ever, with the caveat of never having sailed on this size vessel. Yes, we've definitely been thru turbulent waters (transatlantic). Appreciate feedback. Thanks

I am one that motion can get to me on the ship or in a bus etc.. so i tend if the seas are rough to just take a pill and stay mid ship.. others never notice it and then there are some who notice it even more.. there are pill and ginger at front desk for just in case.. sounds like you will be fine

I too get motion sick on planes and busses and in the back seat of cars. I take dramamine every time I fly and take patches with me when I cruise. That being said, unless the weather is very bad and the seas very rough, I have never needed them on Azamara or any other cruise ship.

I'm great in cars and on sailboats but occasionally get motion sick on a small cruise ship (haven't been on Azamara yet but have sailed on Pacific Princess, also an R cruise ship). Not usually too bad, but I always travel with meclizine. That's the generic name for the active ingredient in Bonine and also the non-drowsy Dramamine (regular dramamine is dimenhydrinate) I bought a huge bottle at my Costco (cheaper for 100 tablets - that I'd never need - than 20 at CVS)

For any nausea, I also travel with ginger tea.

As someone who can get motion sick in a hammock and who the bands and dramamine don't work for, I can highly recommend accupuncture. I've had it done on every Celebrity ship I've sailed on and it has worked every single time. I'll be signing up for it as soon as I get on the Journey.

I get motion sick in cars, on any rides that spin. However, have never been sea sick on AZ - and that includes crossing the Drake Passage with waves breaking over the Looking Glass Lounge on Deck 10. We always book Deck 6 mid-ship or aft. Top decks and forward are the worst for motion.

As someone who can get motion sick in a hammock and who the bands and dramamine don't work for, I can highly recommend accupuncture. I've had it done on every Celebrity ship I've sailed on and it has worked every single time. I'll be signing up for it as soon as I get on the Journey.

I've always sort of assumed that the wristbands were a form of acupressure, so I'm curious: do they put the accupuncture needles in the same spot that wrist bands put the pressure?

A smaller ship will have more motion than a large ship. Look at it this way, which is easier to push (if it runs out of gas) a Smart Car or a limo?

A smaller ship will have more motion than a large ship. Look at it this way, which is easier to push (if it runs out of gas) a Smart Car or a limo?

Right but have you ever seen anybody who has been on eight other cruises safe I suddenly sick on the smaller boat?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

I thought I was immune from seasickness. We've been on the Tasman Sea and the North Sea (when even our waiters became seasick) Both of these cruises were on much larger vessels than Azamara, however. We've been on the Atlantic side of South America and the Pacific side of North America on Azamara and felt fine. However, on our last Quest cruise (in the Med, no less) DH and I became quite queasy on our sea day and had to skip dinner (oh the horror!) We did have large swells (in fact, no one could venture outside) and we rather overindulged at lunch (it was dim sum day) But definitely felt ill, despite having taken Bonine. So I guess it can happen to anyone.

Right but have you ever seen anybody who has been on eight other cruises safe I suddenly sick on the smaller boat?

Sorry, but I don't go down to sick bay and interview the people who have turned various shades of green to find out what their cruising history is.

Sorry, but I don't go down to sick bay and interview the people who have turned various shades of green to find out what their cruising history is.

well, i never gone to the medical center or turned green. plus just go to front desk as the pills and ginger is there.

• 2 weeks later...

I as thinking along the same lines the shorter the ship the easier to go up and down each wave, unlike the longer ones that seem to slam down on both ends! That being said we were on the quest in 8-9 metre waves. I'm told that is gale 8. And yes about 25% of the crew was sick, including the cruise director! The oceanview was closed as the soup would not stay in the bowls, on the table!!! This was northern Atlantic headed for Shetland Islands.

Bad weather happens and no it isn't pleasant and the captain doesn't want in rough seas if it can be helped either!! Everyone was pretty much recovered the next day, some by dinner that evening. In these waters we've found stay prone, take your meds, and try to sleep through the bulk of it!!!!

I've sailed over 35 times. I've been sea sick 3 times....car ferry on the North Sea during a terrible storm; a Holland American ship in the North Atlantic during a storm; Azamara Quest in the Caribbean no storm! I was sick 4 days. I always take meclazine, eat ginger, etc. nothing worked on the Quest. My DH and I think it is the design of the ship not the size. I don't plan to sail a "R" ship again.

I've sailed over 35 times. I've been sea sick 3 times....car ferry on the North Sea during a terrible storm; a Holland American ship in the North Atlantic during a storm; Azamara Quest in the Caribbean no storm! I was sick 4 days. I always take meclazine, eat ginger, etc. nothing worked on the Quest. My DH and I think it is the design of the ship not the size. I don't plan to sail a "R" ship again.

Actually, R-ships sail surprisingly well for their size. Have done three trans-Atlantics (one dodging a tropical storm for days) with Azamara and over 100 additional nights in the Med, Channel, North Sea, Irish Sea, and Gulf of Aden (recent cruise dodging for two days a cyclone that devastated Yemen), and never had an issue. Also, on one of the Princess R-ships this past winter, we dodged another cyclone along the northeast coast of Australia. Again, no issue.

No reason to generalize based on one experience (and resulting completely uninformed conjecture about design) of one person.

DW gets a tad seasick at times but when we sailed through 40 foot waves onan R class she was fine.

We haven't sailed on Azamara yet (Quest next October!) but did sail on the Pacific Princess, a former R-ship. The itinerary was the Amazon and French West Indies / Caribbean. I did not get sick and there were a couple of doozy storms.

I have been sea-sick twice, once on the Celebrity Eclipse - a large ship, going through the Bay of Biscayne and the second time, on a snorkeling catamaran in Hilo, Hawaii. Ugh...

I usually bring Ginger chews and Meclazine. For our upcoming cruise next October, may consider the patch.

• 1 month later...

Had been on a number of large cruise ships. Only got sick once when we had 30 ft waves hitting our ship returning to NY from Bermuda. Sailed the Quest this past fall in the Mediterranean. We had rough seas. I was sick as a dog for our only sea day. So were many others onboard. I will take something in advance next time. Definitely felt it more on a small ship.