Newbie - sailing Fred's to Fjords, Sept 2016

ShazPaxo

Hi all,

I am about to embark on my first ever cruise in 3.5 weeks time. It's with Fred Olsen, sailing the Fjords. I have a few questions that I'd like to ask if that's ok

First off, Port taxes/charges - Fred's state they are not included in the price and I am confused by this. Are there taxes applicable on this cruise? My OH works for Fred Olsen so we didnt book through an agent, and therefore I'm not sure if taxes will be charged later. Can someone explain if there will be any extra costs I should be aware of?

Secondly, my OH is worried about having to wear shirts and smart trousers every time he wants to eat dinner. We intend to eat mostly in the Palms Cafe - would he have to wear a shirt to dine there?

My OH is also a fussy eater. Can we rest assured that there will be some sort of chicken/burger/chips/potatoes combination in the buffet selection?

I am a gym buff and intend to use the gym quite a lot - are there some times that are busier than others?

What drinks are available in the Palms Cafe, and are they chargeable?

I think that's it for now....sorry for all the questions, I am one of those people that likes to be very well informed when embarking on any sort of holiday

Thanks in advance for your replies :)

The sort of prices you mention are normally included in Fred's holidays, but they do say prices can vary if various costs to Fred change by a certain amount, see section 4 here:-

http://www.fredolsencruises.com/terms-and-conditions/terms-and-conditions

If you have T&C's which say those charges are not included, perhaps it is because you have a staff purchase rate, so you will have to ask whoever booked your holiday.

A standard tipping rate is suggested and will normally be added to your bill. It is not strictly essential, but is common on cruise ships and those tips are basically the pay to the restaurant and cabin staff, so it would not be usual to withdraw that charge. Be aware that that only applies to restaurant waiters and cabin staff and other staff e.g. bar staff are employed on different conditions, so do not need the tips to make up their salary, so any extra you pay to them would purely be an extra. See below:-

http://www.fredolsencruises.com/before-you-cruise/new-to-cruises/gratuities

Shorts are not allowed in the Palms in the evening. You will not always get a standard meat meal there as there are theme nights about twice a week (Indian, oriental etc.), and you are also asked to book to eat there on those evenings.

There is always a meat and two veg type meal of some kind in the main restaurants, (you can ask for it to be served without any sauce mentioned), and polo shirts and even smart, dark jeans are acceptable there, if it is not a formal night. I do not think they do theme nights in the Palms on formal nights. Menus for evening meal are available outside all restaurants during the later afternoon.

Water and tea/coffee is included with meals in all restaurants. All other drinks (wine, beer, soft drinks etc) are charged for, unless an AI pack has been purchased.

Edited by tring

Hi Shaz......Tring, as usual, covers very well some of your questions.

The people on Facebook also have answered some of your questions.

The gym on a Fred Olsen cruise is never busy 😄

Just beware of people's answers on dress code though. It's simple if you read Freds guide. Ok some people don't agree and often give their own thoughts.

I have seen people turned away due to not adhering. I always say if you were going out to a resonable restaurant on a Saturday night to celebrate then you wouldn't wear shorts and a tee shirt.

I couldn't care less what my fellow passengers wear but when people choose to cruise and there are dress codes I don't understand why people often challenge them. Just my opinion.

There are cruise lines that are far more relaxed than Fred on dress code and there are lines that are far stricter

From your profile on Facebook I think you will be one of Fred younger passengers. But if your OH works for Fred he will be aware of that.

The Fjords are fantastic. You will have a great time I am certain.

Beware tho, the first cruise leads to many many more. Then there are more decisions, which cruise line, which ship, balcony or inside, should you learn to dance on board, fly cruise or cruise from Uk. 😄 Spend hours deciding.

As for the food, you can get whatever you want, within reason, just ask.

If you haven't already get the AI package, usually £10 ppp day. Worth it and you can get drinks everywhere.

Main thing is don't worry about the cruise, its no big deal cruising, just a hotel at sea.

Have a great time.

I will assume your going for a week as can't see if says anywhere on your post how long your going for.

Fred olsen on a one week cruise usually have two formal nights, one theme night (usually a british night) and the rest are all smart casual. This is not my opinion but in the guidelines for all restaurants no swim wear is allowed in any restaurants including buffet. Shorts are permitted at lunch time but not in the evenings.

We are just back and smart casual is stated as polo shirts and dark jeans for men and it said in guidelines no vests (sleeveless tops) for men. If you don't want to dress up you can use the buffet its smart casual every night. my nephew in his 20's was with me and he wore blue jeans in buffet in evenings with a casual shirt or polo shirt on a few occasions no one bothered.

on Balmoral there was a kiddies corner in the evening until 7pm and they usually had burgers or hot dogs or chicken wings and that sort of thing and chips was always available. Every night of the cruise there was at least one fish dish and one pasta dish and I think chicken of some sort was severed most evenings. When we were on there wasn't any theme evenings in palms and we never had to book or ever had a problem getting a table although had to share a table with another couple once or twice not an issue for us as everyone we met was very nice

With regards to the A1 Drinks package pre purchased.

It may not be applicable to you as you have booked under a staff booking system

http://www.fredolsencruises.com/before-you-cruise/drinks-package/all-inclusive-package-terms-and-conditions

All Inclusive Upgrade offer must be pre-booked at least 6 days prior to the cruise holiday - prices increase for the package if booked on board

Pre-payment of the All Inclusive Upgrade may not be combined with any type of subsidised or concessionary fare or bookings made via a tour operator. This includes travel industry & supplier company fares, prize winner cabins and complimentary cabins (inc. charity & auctions). The All Inclusive Upgrade may be purchased on board on all fare types at the appropriate on board supplement.

How ever your booking agent will advise you.

As this is your first cruise, then lets hoping you really should enjoy it.

Just swat up on Norovirus.

Wash your hands regularly, with hot water especially after touching any hand rails, chair backs etc.

Do not touch your mouth after doing so

And if possible also take with you some of this, (Its made by Byotrol)

http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Advanced-First-Aid-Anti-Viral-Hand-Foam-200ml_1036207/

They also sell smaller 50mm Bottles to decant into.

The Fjords are stunning.

For the sceptics re hand sanitiser see

http://www.byotrol.co.uk/portfolio-item/byotrol-antimicrobial-hand-sanitiser/

Edited by Pennbank

We're just back from a week on Black Watch in the Fjords, fabulous.

The dress code was, we thought quite relaxed, but we prefer formal, you might not feel it is so. In the cafe you will be fine in polo shirt and jeans, just not shorts or vests.

The drinks were a good price, it was £20 pp for the AI last week, not worth it especially as Boddingtons was half price £1.60 a pint. Expect pub prices, cocktails £4-£5 and speciality coffees in the Library/coffee shop very reasonable at £2.40ish, lovely hot choc there too.

I like to know as much as possible too, Fred can be quite secretive about some things. There is a cocktail of the day but you have to ask what it is.

Enjoy your cruise, and don't get worried about Noro, just be sensible. At the gym intro they go through all the requirements for hygiene and there are sanitising sprays everywhere.