What time Is Afternoon Tea Served on Embarkation Day?

janny444

Hi...I have asked and been answered about no lunch/ lunch buffet served on Embarkation day but can anyone please tell me what time Afternoon tea is served on Embarkation day...it is on the Boudicca?

Afternoon tea not likely served on Embarkation day . Staff usually is too busy.

Afternoon tea not likely served on Embarkation day . Staff usually is too busy.

I have no idea why this poster has given this reply, but maybe he thought it was about a different cruise line as the person seems to be N America based and has been posting on N American cruise threads!

Yes you are quite correct, as Fred have a later embarkation time than most other cruise lines, the first meal on board is usually afternoon tea.

Afternoon tea is served from embarkation time until about half an hour before the drill is due, which can vary depending on sailing time, but is usually soon after embarkation is complete. The bars close before the drill starts as well.

That is a rough idea of time scale, but there will be a daily sheet in your cabin when you embark, which will give precise timings - though they could change if embarkation does not go according to plan. The sheet will also give the location of afternoon tea, which is usually in the self service, but I have known it to be in the main restaurant on embarkation day. Staff will be happy to point you in the right direction.

Happy holiday,

Barbara

Edited by tring

Parsman, I am amazed to hear that. We have done many Fred cruises, including 4 over the last year and similar the year before, though our last embarkation was on 31st May (4 months ago).

There are normally plenty of sandwiches and rolls as well as the cakes etc. I know Fred are cutting back and food quality is definitely down, but lack of food availability was not something I expected. It would mean that someone embarking at say 2pm, (which is about the time they normally start the embarkations) and on late dinner at 8.30pm, could have nothing other than biscuits for 6.5 hours after boarding as they do not offer room service on change over days.

I know you are a regular Fred cruiser, so was there any reason that afternoon tea as we know it was not offered on your cruise and was any information regarding that given to the passengers? Balmoral has had more than it's share of deep cleans of late and some cruises have varied embarkation times because they have started dropping at one port and picking up at another recently, so could something like that have affected the normal service, or does it seem that systems are changing.

There must have been loads of complaints.

Edited by tring

I have asked about this elsewhere and someone said they had trouble finding the sandwiches and cakes on Balmoral in August, because they were being served in the theatre lounge on embarkation day, which may explain it.

I certainly hope so as we have an early embarkation for a cruise in November. As I mentioned in my first post the venue can change, so we always check the daily sheet as we get into the cabin.

Edited by tring

I have asked about this elsewhere and someone said they had trouble finding the sandwiches and cakes on Balmoral in August, because they were being served in the theatre lounge on embarkation day, which may explain it.

I certainly hope so as we have an early embarkation for a cruise in November. As I mentioned in my first post the venue can change, so we always check the daily sheet as we get into the cabin.

I believe that was me, Tring. Delicious sandwiches and cakes. ;)