High Water Levels: Avalon Announcement

Avalon Waterways

Attention: Cruise Cancellation.

Due to unprecedented high water levels in Europe, we have had to make the very difficult decision to cancel the June 2nd departure of our Legendary Danube cruise aboard the Avalon Visionary (WNB 30602). 

We are currently contacting all guests scheduled to depart for this cruise (and the travel agents who booked them) to offer a refund, which includes:

1) Providing a full refund on the cruise.

2) Providing all travelers who booked air with Avalon a full refund on air (including covering change fees).

3) Covering change fees for air for any passengers who did not book air with us.

We are also offering travelers a $500 credit on a future Avalon cruise.

If you are one of the passengers affected by this cancellation, we ask that you call us at 1.877.333.3920 or email traveleradvisory@globusfamily.com. 

For any other travelers worried about the status of your upcoming vacation, we will provide another update on Monday, June 3, 2013. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Sincerely,

Avalon Waterways

Sadly those effected guests are either already in Europe or in the air right now!

Hopefully Avalon will put them in a hotel overnight or longer until they can get them on another flight home. And for those who booked time off work, sad. When we booked for our June 23rd trip I never even thought of high water until long after I'd paid. And T.A. never mentioned it could be a problem. I'm sure with 3 weeks to go we'll be ok but feel for those affected now. We've got friends flying over Tuesday for a Viking trip scheduled for Sunday, hope they'll be ok.

We are booked on the July 10th Rhine Cruise. If I got only one days notice that the cruise would be cancelled I would be FURIOUS having made a long and tiring trip across the pond for nothing. I really have no desire to make a land trip to Europe this year, especially one on the fly. As the previous poster stated, we would already be in Europe having made a long and tiring trip. Surely Avalon should have figured out before June 1 that the June 2 cruise would be cancelled.

We are booked on the July 10th Rhine Cruise. If I got only one days notice that the cruise would be cancelled I would be FURIOUS having made a long and tiring trip across the pond for nothing. I really have no desire to make a land trip to Europe this year, especially one on the fly. As the previous poster stated, we would already be in Europe having made a long and tiring trip. Surely Avalon should have figured out before June 1 that the June 2 cruise would be cancelled.

I do have to say in Avalon's defense the water levels this year are extremely unusual and have risen beyond anyone's expectations. As I understand it the can drop just a fast.... I think they likely had been watching closely expecting water levels to go down quickly!

Time to make lemon-aid out of lemons! :)

I do have to say in Avalon's defense the water levels this year are extremely unusual and have risen beyond anyone's expectations.

We live in the area, and in one afternoon, the Danube went from Code Green to Code Yellow to Code Orange. Code Red is expected for tomorrow. The situation is very severe. Torrential rain 24/7 for days on end now:eek:

DocDave - as nana541 suggested, make lemonaide out of those lemons. We love Salzburg and the surrounding area. Hopefully you will have some sunshine to help brighten your spirits and hopefully Avalon will come thru for you and make your experience something to remember.

I would also think that Avalon will be providing some decent compensation for the inconvenience. Good travels to you sir!

I am wondering about Viking sky (??) - friends left/sailed from Amsterdam May 29 on their way to Budapest.

We see many bad reports about extreem high waterlevels on river Rhine, Main and Donau.

I am wondering about Viking sky (??) - friends left/sailed from Amsterdam May 29 on their way to Budapest.

We see many bad reports about extreem high waterlevels on river Rhine, Main and Donau.

Last news: no more shipping allowed on Rhine, Main and Neckar due to Code Purple.

I feel badly for those folks already in Europe, but the water levels are beyond anyone's control. We didn't make it to Basel in April because of it. Hopefully those who are already there will be able to use their refund money and modify their vacation somewhat, especially those who took time off work (as I would have). Hotels, B & Bs, trains....time to make lemonade. Not fun, but better than turning around and flying home. I'm sure Avalon will help them with alternate arrangements.

I feel badly for those folks already in Europe, but the water levels are beyond anyone's control. We didn't make it to Basel in April because of it. Hopefully those who are already there will be able to use their refund money and modify their vacation somewhat, especially those who took time off work (as I would have). Hotels, B & Bs, trains....time to make lemonade. Not fun, but better than turning around and flying home. I'm sure Avalon will help them with alternate arrangements.

Avalon have said on Facebook they'll be meeting with each person there now or arriving and will discuss options with them personally.

Hi everyone,

Mother Nature has dealt a huge blow to many cruisers because of the extremely high water levels. Very unfortunate and so sad. Local reports (from UKBayern in Germany) indicate water levels are changing dramatically within a 24 hour period. The huge amount of rain in Europe are causing all kinds of trouble. The weather is one thing cruise lines can't control. It would be nice if they gave warnings with more lead time. But I don't think that will happen.

It looks like Avalon is giving adequate compensation. Some have received a notice just before they were leaving for Europe. Wow!! Unfair. Many others are doing a pre-cruise, which could mean they are not aware of trouble ahead.

Wishing everyone an abundance of sunshine in Europe.

Be safe.

John

John99 as you said "weather is beyond the control of the cruise lines" so why is it you think these companies "owe" their passengers "plenty of compensation" ??

Yes, it would seem the cruise lines are trying to deal with the situation but I am hoping that passengers also bought "cruise insurance" as that is what will make them whole. IMHO

John99 as you said "weather is beyond the control of the cruise lines" so why is it you think these companies "owe" their passengers "plenty of compensation" ??

Yes, it would seem the cruise lines are trying to deal with the situation but I am hoping that passengers also bought "cruise insurance" as that is what will make them whole. IMHO

My understanding is they're offering them a full rebate (cruise, air, change fees if you booked yourself) + $500 credit. If you use trip cancelation insurance and cancel yourself you get credits for a future trip - yippee as they hold your money for another year. If the cruise company cancels, the insurance doesn't have to kick in.

Due to unprecedented high water levels and subsequent flooding in Europe, we have decided it is necessary to cancel additional upcoming cruises. Specifically we are sorry to report the cancellation of:

• The June 7th departure of Blue Danube Discovery (WBN 30607) aboard the Avalon Luminary
  • The June 7th departure of Jewels of Central Europe (WBR 30607) aboard the Avalon Luminary
  • The June 10th departure of Austrian Highlights & Bavaria (WVP 30610) aboard the Avalon Affinity

We are well into the process of contacting all guests scheduled to depart for these cruises (and the travel agents who booked them) to offer a refund, which includes:

1) Providing a full refund on the cruise.

2) Providing all travelers who booked air with Avalon a full refund on air (including covering change fees).

3) Covering change fees for air for any passengers who did not book air with us.

We are also offering travelers a $500 credit on a future Avalon cruise.

If you are one of the passengers affected by these cancellations, we ask that you call us at 800.372.1761 or email traveleradvisory@globusfamily.com. 

For any other travelers worried about the status of your upcoming vacation, we do not anticipate having to cancel more cruises. We will, however, provide updates here, if further cancellations are needed.

Sincerely,

Avalon Waterways

As a regular contributor to Cruise Critic and a frequent traveler, I commend Avalon as to how they are handling this horrendous situation which hasn't happened in Europe in centuries. I will now take another look at Avalon as a possible river boat company for my future travels.

My prayers and thoughts go out to the people of Europe who will be suffering from this.

Sheila

Excellent work Avalon. Looks like our June 23 sailing Magnificent Europe from Amsterdam should be ok. Still waiting to see if we will get the Vista or one of the sister ships that does that route. They're all the same so doesn't really matter.

We are (were) on one of the affected cruises - the June 10th departure of Austrian Highlights & Bavaria (WVP 30610) aboard the Avalon Affinity.

Disappointed? Sure. Furious? Not even close. What we really feel is sympathy for those who live along the Danube, who are flooded and displaced from their homes. According to an article I read this morning, the water level in Passau has already exceeded the 100-year mark (1954 flood) and may pass the 500-year (1501 flood) mark; this is a huge flood. It is certainly not Avalon's fault that they can't run our itinerary; safety comes first.

We're furiously planning alternative activities for our 2 weeks in Germany. We will still go, and we'll have a great time. We plan to see what we can of Nuremburg and Munich. We now will have time to spend extra days in Vienna, we will be able to see Salzburg (which we weren't going to have time for originally), and we'll get to spend time in the Alps. We could sit around moping about it, but we'd rather make lemonade (as previously stated).

Best of luck to all others similarly affected.

Our thoughts are with all those whose homes and lives have been affected.

We are booked on a future Avalon cruise that will not be affected by the current flooding but are very interested in how Avalon handles this. I think that Avalon has stepped up and is doing an excellent job in working with their cruisers.

Thanks Avalon, you are truly first class.

Avalon....I also think you're doing a great job in the face of such a tragedy. We look forward to our July 5 adventure with you on the Luminary. We also join Sheila with our thoughts and prayers to the people affected during this difficult time.

Archived